Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lizardcommando

Releasing Doom Stuff, now or never....

I have a question. Is it good to release something (in this case, I'll say a map) that is old and not good in today's standards or is it best to leave an old map sleeping in the dark corners of your hard drive? Ok, here's the situation to simplify things:

Four years ago, you made a map. It's your first map and your pretty happy about it. Everything looks good and plays well, but you don't know of any ftp sites to upload it so you let it sit there for four years. Now in present time, you're a little more coputer suauve, and you now know of ftp sites that store Doom levels and such and some Doom sites. You discover that old map of yours which you first made two years ago. You want to send it into an ftp site, but after looking at all of those screenshots of new, totally enhanced, beefed up for use with Zdoom or some other source port levels, you aren't sure if you want to send in your old level. So here's the question again:

Should you send in your old level to the ftp site anyways, despite the fact that it's an old level for use with the original Doom2 or Doom.exe, or should you let the old level rot away?

/me points at the recently re-released, doom2.exe compatible Alien Vendetta, one of the best wads around.

All the levels I make are vanilla-style maps, and the last one I released was pretty popular with most of the people that played it. I'd say release it.

I prefer doom2.exe ready wads, I dont usually like maps using the new features beacuse in a way your playing a different game. There are exceptions however, but thats my general feeling.

So, yes, release it.

Heh actually, this question has nothing to do with me, really. I just thought it up out of the blue :p. Well here's part two of the question:

What if the map is really crappy and it has tons of errors on it and you tried your hardest to remove them? Also, it has loads of misaligned textures and alot of typical n00b stuff. Would you still release it, no matter how ugly or how bad the map is? ...Just so you can say "I contributed something to the Doom Community."

I released UAC (saved as uac3.zip) even though it sucked really bad. =P Gigantic map with a thousand rooms that look exactly the same, no lighting effects, too many badguys...