Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
killbotvii

Favorite avant-garde doom wad?

There’s nothing new under the sun. I consider an old idea with a fresh coat of paint and fresh application to be a new idea though so I suppose it comes down to interpretation.

A glitchy mod for Mario that mostly messes with the music does not equate to a glitchy mod for Doom that uses mainly graphic alterations (in some ways not even possible in more limited game engines), and neither one is the same as a music video for a pop group, and so on. Related sure, but different, new, unconventional or uncommon takes on an established idea. A few small new ingredients is all it takes to make a new dish in many cases.

When someone asked for a intentionally heavily glitchy Doom mod in earlier times, where there was nothing or little to show, there is now several offerings. For there to be something where there was once nothing is enough for me to consider it new. A tiny person standing on the shoulders of giants is still a few inches taller and all that good stuff.

Edited by Doomkid

The Urotsuki series by Lainos has a pretty odd / original style. Its based on an anime but ive never seen it, so maybe its only surreal without that context.

ITT: People arguing over the meaning of avant-garde. Considering OP used Going Down as an example, it's pretty obvious he's just asking for the more wacky or "out there" wads. In which case, I'll add Bloody Steel to the mix. Haven't played anything else quite like it and the tone shift away from the gritty industrial setting in the 2nd half is mesmerizing, as is the sporadic use of HD textures and assets.  

no one else mentioned crapi by fizz and togos? that's what instantly popped into my mind when i saw the title. nonlinearity is taken to the absolute extreme in this wad! still one of my favorites

Regardless of any label, I like lilith.pk3 a lot (made by anotak) and I really recommend it if you are into abstract\glitch art combined with a very creepy atmosphere.

Edited by Noiser

while lilith is great and all, it's really not something you can play in one sitting. I think i started feeling sick about 4 levels in, which is a shame

On 11/10/2019 at 3:30 PM, Doomkid said:

Wait is this a thread for Ben Shapiro talking points or avant-garde Doom stuff? 

Man screw that ratboy 

....What does that even mean?

I remember this wad that was some sort of colored maze with a deer like enemy in it, and another one without any enemies that had areas that would lock or open after you do certain things, there was some text on a wall too, maybe those?

Edited by doomsucksass