Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kalinus

Share Your Sprites!

Good lord, you guys. One awesome post after the other. I can not keep up!

@Urthar Interesting approach to blocking out the weapon's shape. Very good work. Looks awesome.

@antares031 Looks god damn awesome as well.

11 hours ago, Urthar said:

For the pick-up sprite, I found it useful to have the other

weapons for reference so I could match the art style.

RailPickup.png.3098ddb94d983c45009c418e5a55e43f.png

based on Doom Eternal?

For the anecdote, @Amuscaria's BFG sprite was based on the Bio Force Gun v3.14. I think it was originally meant to be a reskin for the BFG9000 in an early version of Demon Eclipse, but it became the BFG10K in Skulltag.

Great work as usual. Looks really great and could make for some interesting encounters and maps.

those spider bots were my favorite part of doom 3. i still feel guilty that i let it die in my first playtrough

I tried brutal doom last week, and it made me attempt to create some weapons for fun. I'm not sure if they are any good or if the dimensions are right, or even how to add them to the game, but I am definitely going to try, haha.

m16doom.png

m601.png

They are not fully complete yet

doomm16reload.png

m79.png

Edited by 11Bush

Looks good so far. Maybe brighten the weapons a bit so they don't clash as much with the very bright hands. For the M60 and possibly M16, I would suggest making the hands gripping the handguard slightly smaller since they are farther away from the player's point of view.

Damn, you are on a rampage! Great work, really love these sprites. Awesome for scifi techbases. 

The small bots need some love, too!

All in 1x and 2x scale.

Deus Ex Cleanerbot

ezgif-6-26ae06219ca6ntkhc.gif

Deus Ex Medical Bot
ezgif-6-a736d6ecd1dez9ket.gif

Deus Ex Repairbot
ezgif-6-3eacac875a0357j2k.gifezgif-6-8cc737212546wskrz.gif

All my sprites can be found here:
Cherno's Sprites

Edited by Cherno

Eh.. I think the strict side angle without a bit of perspective makes these sprites clash with pretty much everything in DooM. It can work with small monsters but with anything bigger it just starts to clash.

59 minutes ago, NeoWorm said:

Eh.. I think the strict side angle without a bit of perspective makes these sprites clash with pretty much everything in DooM. It can work with small monsters but with anything bigger it just starts to clash.

I think you might be right. Then again, rendered sprites would clash with anything Doom-like anyway ;)

The orthographic view is not realistic but ensures that the models looks kind of correct at all heights. The problem with perspective is mostly when feet are far apart, such as a walk cycle where one foof is forward and one backward. In perspective, the foot farther away will appear to be up in the air by quite an amount, which is ok when looking at above but weird from below. Both ways have their advantages and disadvantages. for a perspective camera, the fov could be kept low to offset the problem, but then it is little different from an orthographic camera. Orthographic sprites can also all have the same offset whereas perspective ones need adjusting of their offset values for each frame.

Edited by Cherno

Exactly what Cherno said. In my opinion there is just no way around it. Whenever I try to use stock resources that are not rendered orthogonaly, it looks wonky as hell. Also bear in mind, that you are moving ingame most of the time anyway and - hopefully - won't have enough time to appreciate mistakes in a sprite.

Since I have now created sprites of the Deus Ex and Doom 3 bots, I wonder if the ones from Malice for Quake would be worth rendering? They are Quake mdl models so very low-poly and also low-resolution textures but Malice has some great designs... Thoughts?

Since they are machines and supposed to have hard edges and chunky, mesh smoothing isn't an option either ;)

I guess they wouldn't look too bad at 1x scale but at 2x scale, the limited polygon count becomes apparent, as seen below, at least for the Hunter.

Banshee mech:

bansheedmkyl.png

Hunter:

hunterw7jy8.png

Centaur:

centaurxmk9v.png

6 hours ago, NeoWorm said:

I tend to agree. I don't know what camera lens id used to photograph their animatronic models, but I used a 35mm (roughly 50 degree fov) to render Quake mdls into sprite rotations in Blender, which seemed about right. Still, the acid test is how something looks in game.

3 hours ago, Cherno said:

Since I have now created sprites of the Deus Ex and Doom 3 bots, I wonder if the ones from Malice for Quake would be worth rendering? They are Quake mdl models so very low-poly and also low-resolution textures but Malice has some great designs... Thoughts?

Since they are machines and supposed to have hard edges and chunky, mesh smoothing isn't an option either ;)

I guess they wouldn't look too bad at 1x scale but at 2x scale, the limited polygon count becomes apparent, as seen below, at least for the Hunter.

Visible texels and low polygon models probably aren't good candidates for this sort of thing.

10 hours ago, Cherno said:

I think you might be right. Then again, rendered sprites would clash with anything Doom-like anyway ;)

The orthographic view is not realistic but ensures that the models looks kind of correct at all heights. The problem with perspective is mostly when feet are far apart, such as a walk cycle where one foof is forward and one backward. In perspective, the foot farther away will appear to be up in the air by quite an amount, which is ok when looking at above but weird from below. Both ways have their advantages and disadvantages. for a perspective camera, the fov could be kept low to offset the problem, but then it is little different from an orthographic camera. Orthographic sprites can also all have the same offset whereas perspective ones need adjusting of their offset values for each frame.

The problem is that the legs are alligned perfectly in ortographic view and that stands out a lot. Even from a far away. I think even a little perspective would improve it quite a lot just because it would break the alignment. With perspective the sprite will look somewhat weird sometimes, but with the ortographic view it will look weird all the time. And yeah, movement in game helps to conceal it, but that also applies to perspective renders.

Also it would help with sprites where the model have some sides completely orthogonal to camera. Right now this looks extremely artificial. You will never see anything like that in reality and it's the angle you will see in the game the most.
ezgif-1-9d6850e91eecofj55.gif

I used a fov of 45 to render these for testing purposes. I agree that they look much better. I wonder how hard it would be to implement them into the game, specifically if the offsets need to be fine-tuned for each sprite. The images are all the same width and height to aid with that, so ideally you'd only have to center each sprite and make it's bottom edge be at height 0. However, I believe this would make the bot to appear to be floating in the air quite a bit .

ezgif-2-2078fb01afe8q1jd6.gifezgif-2-f02491c3ca70aujo5.gifezgif-2-0ec5180793b24ckln.gifezgif-2-33451081740derjdc.gif

All my sprites can be found here:
Cherno's Sprites

Edited by Cherno