Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Malurek

Doom Builder

When I make a line for a room, is there only one direction I can draw the line, or can i pull it the other way too?

You can draw any which way you want, clockwise or counterclockwise.

However, while it should not happen does not mean that it can, make sure, as you finish drawing a sector, that no line has the pointer point into the void.

I'm also not seeing how I can start my line on a node, it seems I can only connect to them, but not start from them.  I'll have to keep playing aroudn with it.

4 hours ago, Malurek said:

I'm also not seeing how I can start my line on a node, it seems I can only connect to them, but not start from them.  I'll have to keep playing around with it.

MHBa5Q2.png

Bind a key of your choice.

If you were to use GZDB or GZDBBF, then you could print out the key bindings from the Help menu, as a handy reference.

I figured out how to do it a different way by playing with the vertice, line, and sectors options at the top of the screen.  What I'm trying to figure out now, is how to delete a line def without undoing everything, since I made some hall walls too narrow, (apparently one box wide is too thin).  And I also have some sharp angles that don't show up that way in 2d mode.  

I have to keep dropping the map wad into gzdoom to play test, because when I press W to enter 3d mode, it's just a black screen.

EDIT: NVM.  What you just showed me, is what I needed to delete things.  Thanks.

I have since figured out how to make doors, however, both doors I have made open at the exact same time when I press use.  The first door is sector tag 1, adn the second door is sector tag 2, but that didn't chagne anything.

Another issue I am having is when I open the first door, (starting room door), the next room isnt there.  The only thing there is the floor, the other door, and a third door I have no done anything with yet.  (You can see all of this from the starting room).

Make a door in Sector Mode by highlighting the sector, which is to be the door, and pressing Shift+D. This opens the Make a Door dialog.

46 minutes ago, Malurek said:

I have since figured out how to make doors, however, both doors I have made open at the exact same time when I press use.  The first door is sector tag 1, adn the second door is sector tag 2, but that didn't chagne anything.

Doors, which you walk up to and press the use key, do not need a tag. Doors only need a tag if they are triggered remotely by crossing a linedef or using a switch or using (in the case of Doom in Hexen format or UDMF) thing actions.

46 minutes ago, Malurek said:

Another issue I am having is when I open the first door, (starting room door), the next room isnt there.  The only thing there is the floor, the other door, and a third door I have no done anything with yet.  (You can see all of this from the starting room).

Make sure that the ceiling height of the door sector is at the same height as the floor height, and that the sides of the door are voids.

Edited by Kappes Buur

My "press use" door has door tracks for sides, so the switch door can't have anything?

EDIT: I think I figured it out.  Draw the rooms first, then add lines that are going to be the door way, that way it doesn't connect the door to the grid.  I think that should fix it.  Thanks.

However, my lines are not locking to the nodes unless I hold ctrl-D for draw mode.  I should be able to just press them, but it's not working anymore.  I'm not sure which option fixes this.

EDIT:  Figured it out.  I have a sector tag that is locked to the grid somehow, that has got to be why the entire room is lowering when the door shuts.  I figured this out by making it a standard door, "press to use", when I change it's sector tag, the grid no long highlights with it.  

EDIT: Fixed it.  Thanks.

Edited by Malurek

6 hours ago, Kappes Buur said:

Doors, which you walk up to and press the use key, do not need a tag. Doors only need a tag if they are triggered remotely by crossing a linedef or using a switch or using (in the case of Doom in Hexen format or UDMF) thing actions.

Doors need a tag if they're not D actions!!!!!

D action doors apply locally, S action doors will act on all tag 0 sectors if their tag is 0!!!!!

If you have a door with an untagged SR line on it (even if it's on the door, where you "walk up and press the use key") it only works because your port fixes common mapping errors!!!!!

I'm now learning how to make lifts, (I already seen how to do it), but what I'm having a problem with is I want my second floor below my first floor, with a door to enter it from the lift.  However, all the tutorials I've seen show the left in line with the next floor, and mine isn't like that.  

It's a lift inside of a room, with one square border around it.  It's going down, however, I need to have a door at the bottom.  

How exactly do sector indexes work?  It seems that if a texture is above me, it removes from the bottom up, however, if the texture is below me, sector index will remove the whole thing.  I need to do this to make my lift idea work, and I can't have a whole texture disappear.

I could essentially set it up so the floor, or ceiling drops with me, but I don't want to do that, and I don't think it has to be done for this.

I can't get a screen shot at this time, but I will draw it out in MS Paint lol.

EDIT to paint: doors*

Untitled.png

Edited by Malurek

6 hours ago, Malurek said:

It's a lift inside of a room, with one square border around it.  It's going down, however, I need to have a door at the bottom.  

Something like this?

29jupSc.jpg

28 minutes ago, Kappes Buur said:

Something like this?

29jupSc.jpg

Kind of ya, but in your middle room with what appears to be the lift, what you have as the ceiling was actually the floor border of the upper level the lift would go up to. 

I've since changed it though, i coudlnt make it work.  I just made the lift touch the wall section i wanted to drop down to.

On 11/9/2019 at 12:23 PM, Malurek said:

I'm also not seeing how I can start my line on a node, it seems I can only connect to them, but not start from them.  I'll have to keep playing aroudn with it.

What I usually do is zoom in, and start from a line/node by right-clicking right next to it so it starts from that point.

16 hours ago, starry4471 said:

What I usually do is zoom in, and start from a line/node by right-clicking right next to it so it starts from that point.

Do you have Snap to Grid enabled?