Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
starry4471

How do I "combine" a texture pack with custom WAD?

I am using a custom texture pack (OTEX) with Doom Builder to make my mapsĀ (Because OTEX is very nice). When I attempt to run my WAD in GZDoom, all the textures are blank, even when I have both the maps WAD and the textures WAD in the directory.

The easiest method is to select both your wad and the OTEX wad (hold ctrl then click them both), right click them and hit copy, then right click GZDoom and hit paste. That should do it.

6 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

The easiest method is to select both your wad and the OTEX wad (hold ctrl then click them both), right click them and hit copy, then right click GZDoom and hit paste. That should do it.

This is helpful for testing in GZDoom, but I need to know how I can have the textures and levels as one .WAD file. I suppose I should have specified that. I also suppose I could tell potential players to use the process you described, but I think it would be easier to have them as one .WAD file.

Oh, I see. If you want to have the complete OTEX set built into your wad, you should download SLADE3, open up the OTEX wad and copy all of it's contents, then open your wad and paste it all underneath the contents of your wad. This will result in a bloated filesize if you're only using a few of the textures, but it will work.

Just now, Doomkid said:

Oh, I see. If you want to have the complete OTEX set built into your wad, you should download SLADE3, open up the OTEX wad and copy all of it's it's contents, then open your wad and paste it all underneath the contents of your wad. This will result in a bloated filesize if you're only using a few of the textures, but it will work.

Thank you for aiding me in my quest to entertain people in the name of demon-slaying.

And as someone recently taught me (thank you ukiro!), after you've copied OTEX over in Slade, you can go up to Archive > Maintenance > Remove unused textures/flats/patches, which will just dump everything you haven't used in your map (to avoid that bloated file size). The only thing you need to keep in mind is to de-select any animated texture frames that you're using when you do this -- for instance, if you used a switch in your map, make sure you keep the "activated" texture of that switch. Or, if you're using the waterfall animated texture, make sure you keep all 8 frames of it (OFALLW01, OFALLW02, OFALLW03... to OFALLW08, for example). Using that Remove function doesn't seem to discriminate animated textures, but it still saved me a tremendous amount of time.