Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ReeseJamPiece

What's the best Playstation 1 games you've ever played?

(This is a follow up to the SNES and Megadrive thread)

I'm a very big fan of the PS1! whether it be Rayman, Metal Gear Solid, Castlevania Symphony of the Night or Silent Hill. (As you can tell, I am a big Konami fan)

Rayman is visually beautiful, it has that old childhood charm that brings you back to simpler times. It's just gorgeous overall and also very fun to play.

Metal Gear Solid...what can I say? It's a Hideo Kojima game, of course it's going to be great.

Castlevania Symphony of the Night is the best game in the series no doubt in my mind, it just feels great to pick up and play.

Silent Hill is probably one of the most scariest games ever created besides from PT and Silent Hill 2, the atmosphere is incredibly tense and you honestly feel like you've just went through a portal to hell. (very spooky)

So yeah those are mine, what's your favourites?

Platforming: Crash Trilogy, Crash Bash, Medievil, spyro, Hercules.

FPS: Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six, Battletankx: Global Assault, Vigilante 8.

Fighters: Tekken 3, X-men: Mutant Academy 1 - 2.

RTS: KKND 2: Krossfire, Red alert 1.

Sports: Smackdown 2! Know your role, Fifa (Don't remmeber which part), Crash Team Racing.

I'm definitely missing a lot in this list, mainly because I can't recall everything at the moment. 

Symphony of the Night is my favorite PS1 game, but I'm leaning towards Aria of Sorrow as the better Castlevania game. It's so much better balanced than SOTN, and the level designs are a lot less slapped together. 

Symphony of the Night

Metal Gear Solid

Final Fantasy Tactics

FF7,8,9

Chrono Cross

Vagrant Story 

Parasite Eve

Xenogears

Grandia

Star Ocean

Rival Schools

Street Fighter Alpha2

X-Men vs. Street Fighter

Bushido Blade 2

Tekken 3

Tenchu 1+2

Megaman X4,5,6

Resident Evil 1,2,3

Dino Crisis

Alien Trilogy, Megaman X4, Disruptor, Silent Hill, Dino Crisis 2, Rayman, Apocalypse, Pitfall 3D, Klonoa, Pandemonium, Soul Reaver

Some of the most memorable games for the PS1 for me would be:

Ape Escape - Capture cheeky monkeys using various gizmos and gadgets as well as jump around various parts of the map. (Though personally speaking it's not the best in the trilogy).

Hogs Of War - Technically a PC game but it DID get a PS1 release, this game revolves around your pig solders battling some pretty relentless AI. You can also upgrade your little piggies to either be a strong solder, an engineer, a sniper or a medic. Fun game with some rather hilarious humour to boot. XD

Gex 3D: Enter The Gecko - A pretty hard platformer all about grabbing remote controls and fighting an evil robot. The PAL version has a deep voice and some of the voice lines do sound just a tad raunchy. XD Solid game.

Gex 3D is indeed very nice. I prefer the previous game, but this one is very cool with a Mario 64 vibe. 

Edited by Noiser

Some of the games I continue to revisit:

Brave Fencer Musashi, a good action rpg game, with tons of charm, there's even an in-game toy collection featuring most of the enemies and characters you meet in the game, and you have to make the choice of whether you want to open your sealed virtual toys or keep them in their box, and that's just a silly feature.

Symphony of the Night, honestly who doesn't like this game.

Resident Evil 3, RE1's light RPG influences combined with a Racoon City that was a cut above RE2's and a whole slew of random events that make each playthrough different, RE2 was amazing but RE3 is simply a step beyond.

Digimon World, most people would hate this game, it's a glorified tamagochi, complete with your digimon pooping, and you better not let it poop in the grass unless you like poop.

Quake 2, the PS1 version of Quake 2 is my favorite looking version of the game, the colored lighting adds even more atmosphere to the hellhole of Stroggos, having to put up with the loading screens is honestly totally worth it considering this port doesn't sacrifice model interpolation and texture resolution, unlike a certain other.

Silent Hill, needs no real reason to be here, it's Silent Hill.

Resident Evil Survivor, lots of people would tell you this game is trash, it's jank as hell but it sure ain't trash, the fact that a group of developers with a subpar budget managed to make something this atmospheric is outstanding to me, and especially amazed little old me all those years ago, it was the horror of a zombie infested city in full 3d, right on my CRT.

Honorable Mention: PS1 Hexen, yes really, lots of people have read some exaggerated rumors about this port, there's definitely room for improvement but it's still an interesting (and at times quite amazing) port.

My game library for PS1 isn't huge, only around 20 or so games.

My most favourite game I keep going back to is the original Persona game, it's so strange seeing the franchise go from some niche JRPG to a semi-niche JRPG but with modern stuff and...other stuff

Didn't have a ps1 myself when I was younger but when I was with friends who did have one it was usually Jonah Lomu's Rugby, Tekken or Crash Bandicoot.

Silent Hill, Final Fantasy 7, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil 1 and 2, WWF: Smackdown, Medal of Honor and Medal of Honor: Underground. 

I never played Symphony of the Night on PS1, didn't play it until it was released for the 360. But it was a great game.

You're on fire with good topics!

I mean, I can't name just one. It's impossible with such a great library of games.

- Silent Hill: Do I need to explain further? Fun fact: First played this when it came out, I was like 7-8 years old. Never finished the school because I was so terrified of this game. I didn't actually beat it until I picked it up again when I was 16.

- Resident Evil 3: Nemesis: I'm glad someone else shared my sentiments with this game. 2 is a little better, but 3 has the best combat. It has dodging, Nemesis, an actually challenging hard mode (RE2 is so ludicrously easy) and while most hate it, the randomness is interesting in speed runs. It has a great gunpowder system that never gets old, and FUCKING FREEZE GRENADE ROUNDS.

- Resident Evil: Director's Cut (non Dual-Shock): Non Dual-Shock you say? What's the difference? The Dual-Shock version of RE:DC removes the amazing and really scary soundtrack for a far more inferior musical score, almost to the point where it's downright insulting (Mansion Basement is legendary for its awfulness.) The non Dual-Shock version is the best way to play RE1 on the PSX.

- Final Fantasy Origins: I'm not a turn based RPG fan, but I do like Final Fantasy I, and this is the best way to play it. FFII is still a terrible, terrible game though.

- Brave Fencer Musashi: "That's what ya get when you mess with me!!" Very charming Squaresoft Zelda-clone with some neat tricks and awesome voice acting. Assimilating enemies to use their attacks or abilities is really fun.

- Doom (duh): PSXDoom is famous for a reason! It's probably the best way to play Doom without owning a PC.

- Gran Turismo 2: Sim racing at its best on the PSX.

- Crash Bandicoot Warped: CB1 is really fucking hard. 2 is no slouch either. 3 nails the perfect balance I think. It's really fun and looks great for a PSX game.

- Castlevania Chronicles/Symphony of the Night: Lumping these together because both are incredible. Chronicles is basically the first game with nice graphics, and Symphony of the Night is just a masterpiece of work. It's got a fantastic soundtrack and gameplay that still holds up even after being cloned to death later on.

- Parasite Eve 2: RPG/Survival Horror hybrid made by Square and it works so well. Creepy at times, but always fun and interesting.

- WWF Smackdown 2! Know Your Role: Yeah, a wrestling game. It's actually really goddamn fun, and has a shit-ton of content. You can make your own Pay-Per-View events, custom characters (I've made Link from Zelda, Johnny Bravo, and Macho Man Randy Savage to name a few), custom stables... there's a ton of moves to unlock, lots of character items to unlock, and it's just simply fun to play with all the modes and match types (Hell in a Cell? Awwwww yeah.)

- Einhander: A great 3D shmup from Square with an amazing soundtrack. Unique ship system that can switch between 2 or 3 acquired weapons from enemies that fire different depending how they're positioned (Need homing missiles? Cycle the Wasp to the top of your ship. Need stronger missiles? Cycle the Wasp under your ship.) Really fucking hard though.

I could go on and on...

My guilty pleasures:

- Overblood (cheesy, unintentionally hilarious and downright terrible survival horror game published by EA)

- MegaMan X6 (Often unanimously regarded as the worst MMX game, but I love it)

- Army Men 3D (Actually a really good Army Men game but no one I knew liked it lol)

- Gex 3 (Wacky 3D platformer with one of the worst cameras I've ever used)

- Cool Boarders 2 (COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL BOARDERRRRRS!!!)

The PS1 has a damn-fine library. Lots of great stuff on it.

I'm more into some of its niche genres (like shoot 'em ups), so R-Type Delta, Raiden Project, Einhander, Strikers 1945 and RayStorm are some of my favorites on the system.

Castlevania Symphony of the Night is a contender for one of my favorite games on it in general. For the LinearVania fan in me, I am also glad to be able to play Castlevania Chronicles.

Its port of Doom is really solid, so that's naturally up there as well.

For something more mainstream, the Crash Bandicoot games really clicked with me. I still go back to the first one in particular on a somewhat regular basis. Good times.

Guilty Gear and Street Fighter Alpha 3 are my favorite fighters on it. Really love the original MK3 port on it as well.

Wipeout XL is excellent and still holds up very well. I've put a lot of time into that one.

Too many other cool games to name.

Tekken 3

Twisted Metal 2

Need For Speed 3: Hot Pursuit

Metal Gear Solid

WWF SmackDown! 2: Know Your Role

...and Mighty Capcom's hits!!! (I fucking loved this company before PS3 era): Dino Crisis, Parasite Eve series, Resident Evil series.

TONS OF GAMES, TONS!!!

Tobal 2, Silent Hill, Crash Bandicoot, Final Fantasy 7, Xenogears, Tenchu series e t.c. e t.c. e t.c.

It was greatest time in game industry. IMHO.

Resident Evil 2

Resident Evil 3

Beat those 2 games more times than I can bother to remember.

Parasite Eve 2- survival horror action RPG 

Silent Hill 1-obviously it is a masterpiece(best graphics of any silent hill)

FF Tactics-still the greatest final fantasy game.

Codename: Tenka

NanoTek Warrior

LSD

Front Mission 3

Policenauts

Heart of Darkness

Alundra

Soul Reaver

Space Griffon VF-9

Hogs of War

One

Intelligent Qube

Um Jammer Lammy

I'm planning on making these types of threads an ongoing thing of mine.

Next will probably be PS2, then N64 and probably either Gamecube or the Original Xbox.

On 11/12/2019 at 8:43 PM, R4L said:

- WWF Smackdown 2! Know Your Role: Yeah, a wrestling game. It's actually really goddamn fun, and has a shit-ton of content. You can make your own Pay-Per-View events, custom characters (I've made Link from Zelda, Johnny Bravo, and Macho Man Randy Savage to name a few), custom stables... there's a ton of moves to unlock, lots of character items to unlock, and it's just simply fun to play with all the modes and match types (Hell in a Cell? Awwwww yeah.)

You say "wrestling game" as though that's something that should disqualify it, but loads of wrestling games from that era were fantastic by any standards.  Wrestlemania 2000 on the N64 will always remain a favorite.

1 hour ago, Cynical said:

You say "wrestling game" as though that's something that should disqualify it, but loads of wrestling games from that era were fantastic by any standards.  Wrestlemania 2000 on the N64 will always remain a favorite.

I wasn't putting it down. I was actually defending it xD I love wrestling games and those from that era were amazing. WCW Nitro was one of my favorites.

Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night

Medievil

Einhander

Tekken 3

WipEout 2097 and Wip3out

Metal Gear Solid

Tempest X3

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Heritage For The Future 

Twisted Metal 2 and 4

Here's a fun fact that I want to share:

Twisted Metal 4's FMV intro has scrapped dialogue for Calypso that can be found when Sweet Tooth was about to get his wish from him.

secretmsg.GIF.560d05f410889644f301e3b6a491ac14.GIF

Battle arena Toshinden and other beat em ups games aside, some of my favourite PS1 games are probably Legend of the Dragoon, Scars racing and N20.

Really there are too many good games on PS1 to list them all. My PS1 collection is almost 500 games.

Gradius Gaiden

Spyro 2

Crash Bandicoot 2

Alien Trilogy

Doom of course

Wipeout 2097/XL

G-Darius

Castlevania Symphony Of The Night

G-Police 2

Tomb Raider 2