Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Andy Olivera

The DooMed Speed Demos Archive returns!

Hey, just wondering what the status is for the NM-Pacifist demo I did for TNT:R?

I'm assuming you're not adding it, if so that's ok.

I'm wondering the same thing, I have no idea how long it takes for demos to be put on the site. But I'm guessing a long time considering how many demos are submitted every week.

2 hours ago, Scorpius said:

I'm wondering the same thing, I have no idea how long it takes for demos to be put on the site. But I'm guessing a long time considering how many demos are submitted every week.

Andy uploads demos either at the morning or at the evening. For example, on the 20th of May he uploaded 367 demos at 6:42 AM, and on the 13th on October he uploaded 76 demos at 9:00 PM. Everything depends on the extent of automatization of this process. I suspect Doomworld provides a list of all posts from Doom Speed Demos section which have attachments, he downloads/transfers each archive and writes each description himself (which WAD, category, player's nickname, engine and time). If the category and engine can be easily chosen from comboboxes, then what to do with WAD, nickname, time? I think to copy them manually because I doubt there is a special algorithm which reads the information in our posts in a special way and forms a column with all required info for DSDA. All in all, these are just my guesses.

94 demos this week.

Bob9001: It's there, I just merged it with your previous demo since they're the same time.

Dimon: I browse the forum looking for new demos, download them, verify info if necessary, rename them appropriately, then enter them into the database. The only part that's automated is generating the statistics. Verification and renaming actually take most of the time because text files are often incorrect and the combination of the sheer number of demos and horrible trend toward millisecond improvements means many more demos have to be manually checked for file name conflicts.

I'm confused now. Am I doing something wrong perhaps? Do I send demos to the email provided on that site, is there another way to do so or does it usually take a long time for demos to get added on the site?

EDIT: Just in case I sound like it, I'm not whining or complaining. I am just simply curious.

Edited by Scorpius

1 hour ago, Scorpius said:

Do I send demos to the email provided on that site, is there another way to do so or does it usually take a long time for demos to get added on the site?

You could send your demos to Andy's e-mail, although personally the better alternative would be for you to post them yourself in the appropriate forums, so other members can view them. The original post usually (but not always) states how the demo should be named, what complevel to use, etc.

Demos have always been posted on a weekly basis, no matter how many demos have been submitted during the course of the week.

25 minutes ago, Andy Olivera said:

Farewell, all!

Huge respect for all your work Andy! DSDA is an incredible resource and the time you've put into its maintenance and regular updates over the years is immensely appreciated!

Wow! I never thought that would happen now. May I ask a few questions, please?

.... First, after spending several months of intense work to integrate the PDANG my original goal of merging ...

What does "PDANG" mean?

Four generations of games have gone by with only minimal and belated recognition from me. I have some serious catching up to do.

I hope playing Doom and watching magnificent demos is not the same as adding demos one-by-one. You won't abandon Doomworld, will you?

How long did it take to upload the biggest pack of demos in your life?

How is doomedsda.us organised? You keep your own server or you rent it? If the last one, how much do you pay for it? Any support from outside?

Do you feel the sense of accomplishment to Doom community? Because I'm out of ideas how we will do without you!

How often you thought of dropping hosting doomedsda?

Were there other candidates for hosting doomedsda before Kraflab and Zero-Master initialized next DSDA?

Will you revisit Doom TASing someday? This is one of your masterpieces! (video)

Doom community praises your work! Bon voyage!

Edited by Dimon12321

1 hour ago, Andy Olivera said:

Farewell, all!

Thank you so much for all the hard work you've done over the past 25 years. Grabbing somebody else's demos from the DSDA and watching them, or seeing my own demos uploaded to it, really made this game a lot more enjoyable for me than it otherwise would have been.

Enjoy your retirement with reckless abandon. ;-)

1 hour ago, Andy Olivera said:

9 demos, 11 years and one final update.

Good luck with the new DSDA, Kraf and Zero! Keep it going.

Farewell, all!

Thanks man, you are great

Thanks for supplying me with demos since 2009!!!!! Your service won't be forgotten!!!!

This is pretty sad, we should make a community tribute wad or something, damn.

33 minutes ago, Dimon12321 said:

What does "PDANG" mean?

iirc it's Public Doom Archive of Non-Gods

Thank you for providing such an incredible platform where players could share their passion and hobby for DOOM. What an absolute legend! I wasn't here to see it all, but I want to wish only the best for you, Andy! I remember when I saw my demos on DSDA for the first time. That was just DAYS ago! Huge respect. :D

Don't feel bad about stopping! You've maintained it for so long, it's something to be proud of. I salute you, sir.

You've almost certainly been one of the primary reasons Doom speedrunning is still so alive and active to this day. Thanks for everything you've done (including putting up with all our recent giant demo packs :D)!

Wow this is a surprise, thanks for all your time and effort to maintain a piece of gaming history that is probably still alive thanks to your work.

What's gonna happen now with demos and such like?

Thank you for all your effort and commitment to keeping DSDA up and running for all these years. It's been fun, hope you enjoy retirement. :)

Well that was a superhuman task, thank you.

I also owe you a few things: discovering Cleimos II via Visions of Doom, help and support when creating my first built demo and d2200ep1.wad (maps 4 and 5, I think I will return to MAP05 as I was close to getting a successful run which would have been 5 minutes faster).

10 hours ago, Grain of Salt said:

Thanks for supplying me with demos since 2009!!!!! Your service won't be forgotten!!!!

This is pretty sad, we should make a community tribute wad or something, damn.

Apparently this was started and died: 

21 hours ago, vdgg said:

Well that was a superhuman task, thank you.

I also owe you a few things: discovering Cleimos II via Visions of Doom, help and support when creating my first built demo and d2200ep1.wad (maps 4 and 5, I think I will return to MAP05 as I was close to getting a successful run which would have been 5 minutes faster).

Apparently this was started and died: 

Yeah I still have all my maps for this, and @rdwpa also has copies of the rest I believe. Maybe one day we could finish this as a tribute to a legend.