Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Revenant100

The location of Doom 64's story finally revealed!

There were some other hints to this but not as definitive. We should probably call it "almost certainly Phobos" at this point, given this info. The only doubt comes in because this info is from Nintendo and not visibly directly from id or Midway, though they surely would have gotten it from them originally and not invented it on their own whole cloth.

Yeah, I wasn't wrong after all... Also, I saw some magazines saying that it took place on Phobos...

But much before I knew about this... i used to think it took place on Io, again...

I always just assumed it was Phobos or Deimos, since that's where we are in Ultimate Doom Episode 1-2. It's where it began so it makes sense.

There were a couple details that made Mars' surface a nice possibility:

• The "planetary" quarantine mentioned in the manual (granted even if the game is on Phobos, the whole system may be a wreck anyways)
  • The reason for it - apocalyptic levels of radiation - could have been because the UAC's nuclear waste dumps (explained in the original game's backstory) on the surface went out of control and contaminated the environment (could also have been caused by deliberate nuclear bombardments to kill the remaining demons, though)
  • None of the facilities match even slightly in terms of layout or style, so it brings up the question of just how much stuff must be built on Phobos, a very small captured asteroid - this also doesn't satisfy any objections about the demons being necessarily any of the exact same ones you encountered and killed before, despite what the manual says, since we didn't go down any of these hallways before.

Ive always called the first 'episode' of Doom 64 the moonbase episode. Looks like its true.

Now to port KDITD to Doom 64 :p

I still have a couple of old gaming magazines and I found this big DOOM 64 article (N64 , JUNE 1997) I don't know if it's already available in our Forum. Nevertheless, I scanned it to share with those of you who love to read nostalgic stuff like that. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Nice amount of effort and honesty went into that review! It is as I remembered it at the time, although it isn't as harsh as some of the others. I remember how exciting 3D was for console gamers and how they wanted to look up, down, and jump. And Turok did that for them. I know these days both games would be reviewed slightly differently, but this really takes me back!

I'm super confused by the Funboy Three section of that article. It makes it sound like the Demon keys were unlockers of the "fun" maps, each key taking you to one of the three, then upon completion of all three *and* completing MAP28, you go to yet another secret map?

Either the article is plain wrong or something because that's not how it works at all.

I suppose they got confused when Midway told them about the secret levels (for the keys) and the "fun" levels.

On 11/13/2019 at 11:57 PM, Gerardo194 said:

Yeah, I wasn't wrong after all... Also, I saw some magazines saying that it took place on Phobos...

But much before I knew about this... i used to think it took place on Io, again...

all most every doom game takes place on Phobos.

On 12/27/2019 at 12:27 AM, some guy who made a wad said:

all most every doom game takes place on Phobos.

Really?

Doom (by Episode)

* Ep1: Phobos

* Ep2: Deimos

* Ep3: Hell

* Ep4: Earth

Doom II: Earth, Hell

Final Doom - TNT: Evilution: Io, Hell

Final Doom - The Plutonia Experiment: Earth, Hell

No Rest for the Living: Earth, Hell

Doom RPG: Mars, Hell

Doom II RPG: Luna (the moon), Hell

Doom 3 and expansions: Mars, Hell

Doom Resurrection: Mars, Hell

Doom (2016): Mars, Hell

So by adding Doom 64 that's exactly 2 released titles so far that use Phobos as an actual setting in-game (mentions by name count for naught here). Doom Eternal will literally be the third now.

1 hour ago, Gerardo194 said:

Quasar, you forgot Earth in Doom 2 RPG, my friend! 

More like wasn't aware of - it's painfully difficult to find good info about that game :(