Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tartlman

Default control scheme hand position?

Sometimes, when I can't really download a source port and set it up on a computer, I play with wad commander. However, you can't change your controls and you probably never will be able to since it looks like development has stopped (it hasn't even updated its freedoom version). So do you have any suggestions for using doom's horrendous default controls that are against all that is good and true?

Here's my current hand position:

Left ring finger - left shift (sprint)

Left middle finger - left ctrl (fire)

Left index finger - left alt (strafe)

Right index finger - left arrow (rotate left)

Right middle finger - up and down arrow (forwards/backwards)

Right ring finger - right arrow (rotate right)

The problem with this hand position is that i can't use strafe left/right comfortably, and the strafe key doesn't let you move forwards or backwards. I'm considering shifting my left hand to right ctrl and alt, but that means i'll have trouble sprinting.

Any ideas?

Place your right hand so your middle finger can hit left and shift. Now your right hand can control firing, running and moving while your left hand only controls staring on. It'll still be way worse than just using a mouse. Alternatively you can do the no strafe strategy of dodging by moving backward + one of the sides. Really easy to perform even if it is much more limited than strafing, in fact it is more than enough for everything even in plutonia so you'll be fine. Now your left hand is free to do whatever :P.

29 minutes ago, Tartlman said:

Left ring finger - left shift (sprint)

Left middle finger - left ctrl (fire)

I seriously hope you got these two mixed up. Or do you have one of those horrible European ISO key layouts with a tiny Left Shift?

Other than that, yes, these are the default DOOM keyboard controls and there is nothing wrong with them. It's been established that all the original levels can be beaten with keyboard-only on all difficulty settings.

29 minutes ago, Tartlman said:

The problem with this hand position is that i can't use strafe left/right comfortably, and the strafe key doesn't let you move forwards or backwards.

What do you mean? If you hold, for example, Alt+Forward+Right - you don't move diagonally? Does your keyboard have problems responding to certain 3-key combinations?

32 minutes ago, dr_st said:

What do you mean? If you hold, for example, Alt+Forward+Right - you don't move diagonally? Does your keyboard have problems responding to certain 3-key combinations?

Wad commander doesn't let you do that. It's really annoying.

1 hour ago, Tartlman said:

Wad commander doesn't let you do that. It's really annoying.

Doesn't let you do what exactly? I just tried WAD commander and movement works as I expect it...

As a keyboard only player, I use this:

Right hand - arrow keys

Left hand:

• Pinky - left CTRL - shooting
  • Ring and Middle finger - rest on shift, lift if you want to walk instead of run. Also used for automap on Tab. I guess I also use middle finger for selecting pistol and fist/chainsaw (rarely happens).
  • Index finger - Alt for strafing and changing weapons from 3 onwards
  • Thumb - Can also be used for strafing when you need to use the index finger for changing weapons (only in hectic situations where you cannot afford to let go off strafe key for even a moment) + Spacebar for actions.

If you have a shitty keyboard, you won't be able to circle strafe to the left, only right due to the matrix layout of the keyboard preventing the input from registering. Get a mechanical keyboard to get over this issue.

That's about it for me.

W - Middle Finger

A - Ring Finger

S - Middle Finger

D - Index Finger

Shift Key - Pinky Finger

Space Bar - Thumbs

Q - Ring Finger

E - Index Finger

C - Index Finger

x - Middle or Index Finger

Z - Ring or Middle Finger

R - Index Finger

Anything else is either never bound, or a one time use function.  I've never tried binding to mouse buttons, except the Scroll Wheel, and Scroll Wheel button.