Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Red

Doom, Explained!!

This thread is just for people to have a crack at filling the plot holes and inconsistencies in doom, with your own crackpot theories.

For example:
Why dose doom guy loose all his weapons between episodes in doom 1?
Or Why are there no civilian zombies in doom 2?
Or even, How come the demons can hear you punch the air, yet can’t hear your chainsaw?

You can either submit a question, or take a stab at supplying your own theory to answer someone else’s.

NOTE: this is purely for laughs, and interest. It’s something everybody can have a go at. So lets keep the flaming/trolling to a minimum. (I’d like to ask dsm to enforce this.)

To get the ball rolling:

Why dose doom guy loose all his weapons between episodes in doom 1?

Well, between episode 1 and 2, doom guy goes though a rather traumatic experience. He is after all, descending to hell, a place no mortal man is meant to dwell. So to get there, he sort of has to ‘die’. Those demons attacking you just after you walk through the portal, they render you ‘near dead’, as it the only way you can get there. But due the fact that the portal is man made, it allows you pass throw alive. but in the chaos, you loose all your heaver weapons as well as your armor, your backpack, and most of your ammo.

Between episode 2 and 3, in order for doom guy to rappel to hell surface, he must lighten his load, so the rope can support his weight, so bye-bye heavy armor and weapons. (his pistol is nice and light however.)

And finally, between episode 3 and 4, after defeating the spider mastermind, he sees the portal open, and can see the green fields of earth through it. So he decides that he wont need his weapons anymore, so he just drops them (except for his pistol, for sentimental reasons). Big mistake. Seem that some of the hell spawn dribbled through before you got there. So he decides to clean it up.

If you think you can do better, go nuts!

But how come the portals didn't render you insane and make you implode like every other human who went through them?

NiGHTMARE said:

But how come the portals didn't render you insane and make you implode like every other human who went through them?

Hes the Doom Guy! He can do anything no other mortal man can! :D

And as for The one about the punching, The hellspawn can hear you wind up and hear your arm and cloths rub together, also not to mention they can feel the breeze that gets pushed by the force of your fist, and sense it. As for the Chainsaw, they think its just a imp snorting, so they let it go.

Yes I know its far-fetched but Im bored, So bite me. :D

NiGHTMARE said:

THEY have plans for you... :P

NiGHTMARE said:

He did go insane and implode. Thats why he has no weapons in episode 2. He's dead, and is now some sort of spirit being in a kind of limbo. The whole thing is happening in his head.

Or how about this one:
There were no demons to begin with. You were one of the first people sent through the portals, and came back mad. When you came back you thought everyone else was crazy and you were sane. As your condition worsened, you began to see others as horrible creatures and did your best to dispatch them. In reality, throughout the game you are murdering soldiers and innocent civilians who are attempting to stop your rampage.

Heh.

NiGHTMARE said:

Because the link between Phobos and Hell is now complete. Deimos has been sucked into Hell, meaning that the destination gate lies in Hell.

Before, Hell was only a middleway between Phobos and Deimos, which had a different effect.

I won't come up with ideas on why he loses his weapons, because I prefer to simply omit that part whenever I write stories.

I do not agree that the doomguy dies when he enters the gateway, but that is just my opinion and my interpretation.

NOTE: this is purely for laughs, and interest. It’s something everybody can have a go at. So lets keep the flaming/trolling to a minimum. (I’d like to ask dsm to enforce this.)

At your service :-)

Another question that hasn't been asked in this thread:

How on earth can Doom guy carry so many weapons and so much ammo?

A lot of FPS' suffer this, and so far the only one that has explained it is Voyager: Elite Force, where you had a personal transporter buffer. So my guess is that Doom guy has something like that. It seems as if short range teleporters have been around in the Doom universe for some time, so it would fit in technology-wise.

NiGHTMARE said:

Because he's strong, silly!

Zaphod Beeblebrox (from Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy) has three arms and two heads. That should be enough to carry all those weapons.

Ichor said:

Zaphod Beeblebrox (from Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy) has three arms and two heads. That should be enough to carry all those weapons.

That's probably why I didn't know. I gotta borrow that book off my mom...

where do all armor helmets go when you collect them?

what do the blue potions taste like?

where is satan with all this? there's gotta be a supreme ruler of them all!!

how does the doomguy keep firing weapons without reloading (super shotgun doesnt apply, it's reloaded in the game)

Where does the Doomguy go to the bathroom?

How does the Soulsphere work?

Did Doomguy ever sleep with Crash?

NiGHTMARE said:

Lets see,
The weapons are made with ultra light alloy metals (that we have yet to develop). The pistol has it’s own little hostler, the shotgun, super shotgun and chaingun all have straps that go around your torso, both the plasma rifle and BFG fold down about one forth there size, and are simply attached them selves to doomguys Armour with little magnets, and finally, the rock launcher can be pulled apart for easy storage!
As for the ammo, well, the bullets are small and light. Both the pistol and the chaingun are belt fed, (hence you don’t need to reload) and the bullets are worn around doomguys waste. The shotgun shells all fit into pockets around his pants (25 in each leg) his suit is in fact a battery in its self, he just plugs a power cell into a little socket in his right boot and charges it up. And as for the rockets, well, see they are smaller then they appear in the game... they’re just kept in ‘packing’ when you find them on the floor... for safety reasons. They really only slightly bigger then shotgun shells, they sort of “fold in” when you pick them up, and fold back out again after you fire them, (to do more damage of course!) doomguy also stores rockets in his pants along with the shotgun shells... he has more then one rocket in his pocket :P.

footman said:
where do all armor helmets go when you collect them?

there sort of holograms that represent little nanomachines that repair armor.

what do the blue potions taste like?

Fanta. Strangely enough...

He knows better then to attempt an early apocalypse (he has this arrangement with god), the demons are under orders from some rouge spider masterminds at first, later buy hells admiral (icon of sin).

how does the doomguy keep firing weapons without reloading (super shotgun doesnt apply, it's reloaded in the game)

all the ammo is belt fed.

DOOM Anomaly said:
How come when you run outta ammo for the SSG it still shows you load shells into it? :P

The last two are not shells, They’re just little things he puts in there to prevent the barrels from getting damaged.

BigBadGangsta said:
Where does the Doomguy go to the bathroom?

Anywhere! (There’s nothing the UAC armor can’t do!)

How does the Soulsphere work?

Errr, Magic! (give me a day or two)

Did Doomguy ever sleep with Crash?

Well... they both had lots of free time on mars... :D

BOW DOWN TO THE GEEK MASTER PUNY MORTALS!!

All right let's try and keep this thread at least a *tad* serious - don't want it turn into something that would threaten the sanity of this board.

There's a simple explanation to why the Doomguy can carry that many weapons: It's a game.
Heh :-P

dsm said:

There's a simple explanation to why the Doomguy can carry that many weapons: It's a game.
Heh :-P

Aw, your no fun.

He can carry so many weapons because he eats his Marines Standard Issue Wheaties.

Where does he go to the bathroom?

Wherever and whenever he wants, its not like he cares about insulting the demons or anything.

He knows better than to mess with Doomguy. He's chosen to watch the action from a distance.

You didnt explode (see the wheaties explanation above), but you did go insane. Thats how we get Deathmatch.

Or Why are there no civilian zombies in doom 2?
Or even, How come the demons can hear you punch the air, yet can’t hear your chainsaw?

They all rushed to the nearest armory and equipped themselves with combat suits and weapons when the demons came through the gate, so they all look like soldiers.

The demons can perceive certain sounds that humans can't, therefore they can hear the swipe of the fist, but they can't hear certain sounds that humans can hear so they can't hear the chainsaw unless you attack with it (demons can always perceive an attack sound no matter what it is)

:-P

Does teh Doomguy sleep?

footman said:

God said "No. But Those little things can't casue too much trouble, can they?" :P

The Soulsphere, along with the other relics, were found in a hidden store room on Tei Tenga during excavations. The store room contained several thousand crates packed with the relics.

When the surface of the sphere comes in contact with flesh, the fluid inside the sphere is absorbed into the skin.

Some scientists believe that whomever created the spheres used a pictogram based language rather than words, hence the face on the sphere.

Analysis of the fluid indicates it contains a mixture of enzymes, hormones and several other unidentifed compounds. Research is still being conducted to identify the mystery compounds.

So far, efforts to reproduce the sphere have failed, so the current supply is carefully distributed based on the most urgent need.

Epyo said:

Why can't Doomguy look up and down?

He's way too hardarse. I mean, if you can take on all of Hell with just a chainsaw and win, why bother with such simple, trivial things like looking up and down, and jumping?

Epyo said:

Why can't Doomguy look up and down?

Hmm, a toughie. It must be because his helmet is so big, that he can't flex his neck in either direction. Or maybe, since he has to carry all those weapons, his backpack also has to be attatched to his helmet for extra weight distribution. If he moves his neck up or down, his spine would crack, and he might die...uh, yeah.

Trasher][ said:
...trivial things like looking up and down, and jumping?

eheheheh, good one =D

Fredrik said:

Explanation to all inconsistencies: It's a game, and also, id Software had a deadline.

Wow...you beat me to it. Damn you! >:)
Questions like "Why can he carry so much" and the likes should not be asked. Many new games suffer from ULTRA ÜBER REALISM and you can only carry 3 weapons with 2 shots each. A game is meant to be fun, not realistic.