Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ZeMystic

Oops! All Techbase - Final Release! NOW ON IDGAMES!

On 10/31/2019 at 1:42 PM, obake said:

Despondent Nukage Base by Magicana

Dead link.

Here's a recent version of the map.

Also @ZeMystic would you mind giving me credit on map03 since I've made the few few sections before passing it to @Magicana which would really be most appreciated :) 

Edited by Philnemba : Link was an outdated version of map 3 thanks to Mk7_Centipede for pointing that out -_-;

On 10/29/2019 at 1:24 AM, ZeMystic said:

ofc, just tell where you got the textures from so we can credit it

It used the Aquatext pack. Here attached in case you are interested. The map title is "UAC Confidential".

uac_conf.zip

Industrial Haymaker by Eggboy

An ambitious map that sets the tone of the episode quite well. We have gone from treading nukage fields in the day to entering a more industrialized area during night.

There is not much to say about the visuals, asides that they look nice, and function as they should. The best part to me is the gameplay.

Despite a bevvy of Revs and even a few Archies, Industrial Haymaker is more relaxed in its combat. No encounter is too difficult to overcome, what with the abundance of rockets and shells, and open space. It feels perfect for its spot in the episode. Ironically enough, the Cyberdemon is among the easiest encounters in the map, with me being able to potshot it from above with no need to back away. I am not sure how to fix the encounter to make it more difficult, or if the encounter even needs to be changed at all.

This is a solid map.

Sinthetic Icon by Mk7-Centipede

The map's title is awesome. Same goes for the map itself, despite its flaws.

Sinthetic Icon is what I would call a TNT-style techbase, each room riddled with bits and bobs of computers, monitors, rail tracks, couches, and the like. The look is messy, yet charming. As is the map's unusual routing.

There have been plenty of maps with vent exploration before, but Icon makes it different by having them a central focus. Instead of dimly lit, gray tunnels, the map opts for orange vents in bright, static light. With the array of pathways comes plenty of exploration to various rooms, many of which you get glimpses of through fences before actually reaching. I have always enjoyed this style of peeking into rooms early, especially if it means being able to take care of a handful of baddies before heading inside.

Gameplay is where the map loses interest. None of it is bad, but with the large open spaces of the rooms, it feels sparsely populated. Perhaps a few more zombiemen here and there, behind fences and looking through windows, or milling about in the open, would help the map feel more alive.

I also do not think the exits are well done. The regular exit's room has a Cyber, which I beat, and then got stuck. I found out through IDDQD that the central skull on a pole is actually the exit switch. A regular switch would work better.

The secret exit is also not very well hidden. Perhaps a hidden switch to open a wall that reveals the door to the secret exit would spice things up.

Still, an enjoyable and unique map.

Delta by ZeMystic

A suitable breather map, relatively short and sweet. I like this one. There is not much else to say, aside from one or two problems.

The basement room with the lava falls and blue armor secret has a pinky trap that spawns when they hear the player. Because I did not shoot in the room itself, it never activated. I would suggest moving the block sound lines a little further, or put a monster or two in that room so the trap is easier to trigger.

I also feel the map could use a little more spice. Maybe since this is overall an easier map, a relatively easy teleport trap could be added in the upper hallways, such as a few imps and a sergeant?

Otherwise, this is a fine map.

1 hour ago, obake said:

*reviews e2 maps

I really appreciate this.  I was wondering if you were going to keep moving with maps today.  I want to have e2 basically complete for you to play tbh.  So, first of all, here is mistersector's map 12 [i cannot recall if it has a name]:  oops-map12.7z

Second, I am vouching for map 27 "Plasma Labs" to be moved to slot 14 and would like your opinion on that peculiar placement.  Its got a single cyberdemon at the end, like maps 13 and 15.  And personally inspired my map 15.  thanks for the kind words though.

As per map 15, I am thinking about switching the exits- so that the secret exit gives you 100% (and has a secret exit switch) and the normal exit is rather easy to find.  I think most people find the secret exit before the normal exit as is, so flipping them seems a reasonable fix.  What do you think?

Map 19 is being worked on.  It is being cleaned up but here is the latest version: MAP19.7z

Edited by Mk7_Centipede

On 11/5/2019 at 4:47 AM, Philnemba said:

Here's a recent version of the map.

Also @ZeMystic would you mind giving me credit on map03 since I've made the few few sections before passing it to @Magicana which would really be most appreciated :) 

I'd be interested to see what you think of the most recent version that was put up. Mistersector did some work on it; I can't believe vanilla can look like that! Your areas are intact - The spaces were made a lot bigger, but everything is still recognisable. 

On 11/1/2019 at 5:42 AM, obake said:

That works. :)

Starting the map reviews. I am playing each on UV, in GZDoom.

Despondent Nukage Base by Magicana

Dead link.

There is an updated link for this now :).

I'm calling my map "Inventive Prowess," by the way. I mentioned it on Discord several days ago. Now I'm mentioning it here.

22 hours ago, Magicana said:

I'd be interested to see what you think of the most recent version that was put up. Mistersector did some work on it; I can't believe vanilla can look like that! Your areas are intact - The spaces were made a lot bigger, but everything is still recognisable. 

Played it on UV with saves and hot damn I can't believe how much details ya'll did to it where I wasn't sure if this was a vanilla map or not.

A great job well done @mistersector and Magicana :)

9 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

I'm calling my map "Inventive Prowess," by the way. I mentioned it on Discord several days ago. Now I'm mentioning it here.

oh shit my bad

I'll be getting back to reviews tomorrow. I'm glad you guys are enjoying them. :)

XYZ by Walter Confetti

Perhaps the largest map I've played by Walter. XYZ is loads of fun, with a grand scale and suitable combat.

I like the looping design, how it lets players explore areas from different paths, yet it is never too open as to be confusing.

Combat starts fairly slow, but ramps up once you get to the big room with the Arachnotron and Mancubus on the boxes. None of it is too difficult, but its challenging enough to keep you on your toes.

The biggest criticism I have is of the Cyber fight. You encounter it in a narrow, winding staircase. It is not a tough fight, but a boring one. Unlike the Cyber from a few maps ago, this one is much more locked down. I would perhaps add some teleporting demons behind the player, or move the Cyber to the middle of the big room before, and have a load of baddies where the Cyber currently is now.

Criticism aside, this is a really cool map, with interesting variation in combat and exploration.

MAP14, right here! I'll take it. I forgot to ask here instead of discord.

Either "Hellivation" or "Mayhem Machine" I haven't decided.

Inventive Prowess by HAK3180

Following the theme of weapons manufacturing, Inventive Prowess has many, many weapons laying about, on tables, pillars, and boxes. You will need the armory as this map is not shy about tricky monster placement, whether it be multiple Pain Elementals targeting you in a thin walkway, or gangs of Imps and Barons ambushing you from behind. Just the starting room alone is a task, with enemies, both hitscan and projectile, aiming at you from above and below. Part of the fun of a map like this is surviving long enough to build up arms, and eventually be able to take down swarms of baddies.

I feel the map balances health and armor against the menagerie of bad guys well enough that it is still a challenge. I especially like the Megasphere room.

Aesthetically, the map has some charming oddities, like teleports being made of orange and green scrolling walls.

Criticisms I have are that the maze part is a bit annoying, especially with so many Hell Knights. Perhaps replacing one of the Knights with two or three Imps would not only make things go quicker, but be more unpredictable as well, as a gang of Imps may very well go different directions.

Overall, I like this map.

The UAC by Angry Saint

This one is odd. I like the architecture and how ambitious the map is at throwing enemies at you.

That said, the layout is incredibly point A to point B, with little variation. Most encounters happen when entering a seemingly empty room only for enemies to pop out of the ground.

None of it is bad, but it does feel dry. The ending is also ultra abrupt, simply pressing a door to exit.

Overall, while not one of my favorites, the sheer number of enemies plus the detailing does lead to some fun.

Processing Station by Shadesmaster

A level which seems to have taken inspirations from E1M2 and M3, with the winding nukage corridor and dark maze.

This map is fine all around, though nothing groundbreaking. I like the chill vibe, a breather after its predecessors.

I especially like the first outdoor area, where you get to snipe at enemies on the ledge. I feel that part in particular is well executed.

On 11/6/2019 at 1:35 PM, Magicana said:

There is an updated link for this now :).

I will get to reviewing it today. I apologize for missing it earlier.

Unnamed Map 12 by MisterSector

I am reminded of a map I made for Verse Hopper, which was set up as a triangle. This map is much the same, only a lot more vertical.

I really like the setup of this one, with the use of stairs and platforms to go up each side as you fight off waves of enemies. It starts simple enough, with only small groups of Chaingunners in the way of progress. Soon it turns into a frenzy, with gangs of Cacos, Mancubi, Archviles, etc, all getting up in your face.

It took me quite a few tries, but I eventually got to the second portion, with the circular crushers, and...it was much the same. The excitement wore thin. Personally, I would replace two of the Cacos with a single Pain Elemental, and adding another box of bullets to take it down with, just to spice things up. It also took me awhile to figure out some of the switches did.

Do not get me wrong, the technical skill of the design in this map is incredibly impressive, and it is a fun experience. I just wish the second half lived up to the first.

Unnamed Map 19 by RonnieJamesDiner

I do not like being too critical. That said, this map needs a lot of work. It is easily the most amateurish of the set I have thus played.

It is not without redeeming qualities. I like the scope, and the idea of the raising circular room. In terms of visuals, it could use a lot more polish. Most important, however, is getting rid of various game breaking bugs.

I accidentally fell off the rising circle once, and was stuck. This can happen a lot here. Luckily the solution is to simply make the outer walls a pressable lift, so the circular room can be accessed at any time again.

This feels like a secret map more than anything, given its odd nature. It has a lot of charm. It just needs a few major repairs.

Edited by obake

6 hours ago, obake said:

Unnamed Map 19 by RonnieJamesDiner

I'm not sure which or who's map you're reviewing here, but I haven't even finished my map, let alone uploaded it anywhere :S

On 11/12/2019 at 3:32 AM, obake said:

The UAC by Angry Saint

This one is odd. I like the architecture and how ambitious the map is at throwing enemies at you.

That said, the layout is incredibly point A to point B, with little variation. Most encounters happen when entering a seemingly empty room only for enemies to pop out of the ground.

None of it is bad, but it does feel dry. The ending is also ultra abrupt, simply pressing a door to exit.

Overall, while not one of my favorites, the sheer number of enemies plus the detailing does lead to some fun.

thank you for the review. The strong linearity of the map is something I'm conscious about, but it derives from the gameplay of the map it is inspired, from Doom 2016.

I don't know if you played it, in case you didn't, it is a useful point of view.

Played MAP12 on ITYTD, HMP, and UV

The setup isn't a favorite of mine but it's doable. Chaingun is quite slow for anything that isn't a chaingunner (which is basically the entire first half of the map). Looks like the gist is to reach the top, hit the first switch, then go to town with RL as you get to the next switch at the top. The switches in the crusher chambers have their surrounding walls pegged wrong (they move up and down with the crusher for some reason). If you don't plan on adding shell or cell weapons to the mix add perhaps I dunno, a secret perhaps? There's room for more in this one I think.

Hey all,

Been playing through the submitted maps (not quite through them all yet), but wow! This is an impressive and very fun set so far! I'm really excited to be a part of the project.

Here's my submission for MAP19:  theforgottenforge_edit.zip

Name: The Forgotten Forge

Difficulty Settings: Yes

Co-op: Yes (2-4)

Tested with: GZDoom, prboom+, ChocoRenderLimits

MIDI: "Icicles" by Jimmy (from Community Chest 4) 

I ran it through ChocoRenderLimits a few times, seems clear of visplane errors and HOMs (fingers crossed!)

Screenshots:

Spoiler

forge_1.png.dee1b09feb29ab707aadf8d7dec52670.png

forge_2.png.42304903161f568f3d5a719d57d197a8.png

forge_3.png.1e66a3a35929334ede641dbdcfcf40d1.png

forge_4.png.b5668d55c3619d2153950746021f3561.png

Please let me know if you run into any issues related to vanilla compatibility, as well as difficulty settings/resources.

Edited by RonnieJamesDiner

1 hour ago, RonnieJamesDiner said:

Hey all,

Been playing through the submitted maps (not quite through them all yet), but wow! This is an impressive and very fun set so far! I'm really excited to be a part of the project.

Here's my submission for MAP19:  theforgottenforge_19.zip

Name: The Forgotten Forge

Difficulty Settings: Yes

Co-op: Yes (2-4)

Tested with: GZDoom, prboom+, ChocoRenderLimits

MIDI: "Icicles" by Jimmy (from Community Chest 4) 

I ran it through ChocoRenderLimits a few times, seems clear of visplane errors and HOMs (fingers crossed!)

Screenshots:

Hide contents

forge_1.png.dee1b09feb29ab707aadf8d7dec52670.png

forge_2.png.42304903161f568f3d5a719d57d197a8.png

forge_3.png.1e66a3a35929334ede641dbdcfcf40d1.png

forge_4.png.b5668d55c3619d2153950746021f3561.png

Please let me know if you run into any issues related to vanilla compatibility, as well as difficulty settings/resources.

Nice, short map! I was going to say it was a bit too easy, but that crusher revenant trap is pretty mean.

1 hour ago, Egg Boy said:

I was going to say it was a bit too easy, but that crusher revenant trap is pretty mean.

Just out of curiosity, which skill level did you try it on? I can always play around with the difficulty if it seems off. Thanks for playing the map, though!  

2 minutes ago, RonnieJamesDiner said:

Just out of curiosity, which skill level did you try it on? I can always play around with the difficulty if it seems off. Thanks for playing the map, though!  

UV

@RJD

what a nifty map 19!

really cool doomcute stuff [doom adorable?].  you nailed the metal-werks theme.  and the atmosphere at the start was stellar.  It really fits the e2 theme well and OOPS in general.  And yes, I got crushed and died a few times.

20 revenants behind a door?  check.

pairs of pain elementals falling from the sky? check.

wall of chaingunners with limited cover options? check.

branching paths to different SSGs?  NICE!