Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alientank

Broadband online only?

Is D3 still being planned to be broadband only for online? I read in one of carmacks interviews he wanted to do that since it would eliminate lag issues and also make writing the network code MUCH easier and more simplified, also I think it's so that downloading the multiplayer patch (which will no doubt be pretty big) will be easy and fast.

Yeah.. broadband only.. they have desided that after they put a poll online on a popular game news website asking how many gamers have broadband connection.

Thank heavens. Dialupers need to get with the program.

"Well I don't have the money!" Then get off the internet.

"It's not available in my area!" Move. And if you can't move, kill yourself.

(note: I'm not liable if you're a moron. Thanks.)

Katarhyne said:

"It's not available in my area!" Move. And if you can't move, kill yourself.

Who in their right mind would go to all the hassle of moving just to have broadband? Especially if the nearest place with broadband is miles away and you'd have to get a new job, leave all your friends behind, etc? A fast 'net connection is not worth destroying your life for.

Congratulations, you've been trolled!

In all seriousness, I'd give up virtually everything I have right now for, say, an OC12. Yeah.

Katarhyne said:

In all seriousness, I'd give up virtually everything I have right now for, say, an OC12. Yeah.

It can be arranged... :D

Lag is saddening (much like myself :D, why cant we all just go online from a cup with string like DOOM Anomaly, works super-dee-duper. :D

Nope, I'm not going there...
Anyways, nightmare's right. Why kill yourself over an internet connection? (oh wait, no, that's not right. that should be 'why kill yourself over customer service. :P )

Nonetheless, the truth is it will eliminate half of the players in this world playing Doom 3 online.

And yeah, I disagree with what Kat said

About killing yourself? Ya that's pretty harsh but seriously, this is good, I don't care if it wipes out half the online population, maybe people should start making programs that are broadband only and it'll force companies to expand their services

EXACTLY, Alientank. *pets Alientank for being a good boy* If enough services become broadband-only, then companies will have to quit providing lackluster broadband service and get their asses in gear to expand their service.

By the way, -5.3*10^934 points if you couldn't tell that the whole "kill yourself" thing was a troll. I'm not THAT insensitive. Jesus, people.

Oh, and...

*pounces Doom Anomaly* Your new avatar is cute. ^.^

Hahahahahaha, oh jeez, this is so funny. People acting so strongly about a phunney Kat made, ohohohohoh!

Well, I agree that it's a good thing that Doom 3 will be broadband only as it will at least help force the broadband industry to expand.

dsm said:

Well, I agree that it's a good thing that Doom 3 will be broadband only as it will at least help force the broadband industry to expand.

.....Or kill themselves in a suicidal fashion. :P

Katarhyne said:

*pounces Doom Anomaly* Your new avatar is cute. ^.^

Thank you ^_^
But I havta change it soon, Gotta take off teh santa hat and change colors, but Teh Miles stays :D

Oh and Schweet Avatar yourself, heh, love the jumbo'D version, Sinistar looking, yet practical ^_^

DOOM Anomaly said:

.....Or kill themselves in a suicidal fashion. :P

I strongly doubt that - expanding = lots more customers = $$$

dsm said:

I strongly doubt that - expanding = lots more customers = $$$

Only the broadband companies will benefit, not the customers

999cop said:

Only the broadband companies will benefit, not the customers

Well, it's the broadband companies I'm talking about - not the customers themselves. DOOM Anomaly suggested that the companies would go down if forced to expand.

According to the october 2002 issue of wired everybody will have access to wireless broadband by 2007 (but thats only counting people who have access to dial up now, and can afford it)

"Broadband or Bust"

I think that the customers might benefit in the long run

Broadband will be available out in our neck of the woods in about 3-18 months. Doom 3 will be available in about 3-9 months. Would you move?

I goes without saying that Kat's comment is not agreed upon.

Just make sure all the wireless devices are compatible with each other before you start playing around with them. Be a shame to waste $100 on a network adapter that isn't compatible with your provider's systems.

Oh, of course I was completely serious! I couldn't ever possibly have been joking when I suggested that people without broadband should kill themselves! It's such a reasonable suggestion!