Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Udderdude

Map thief/slandering bastard at it again

Looks like the same retard that uploaded other people's maps under Harq's name is now attempting to do the same with Cory Banket's KS series. Clearly at this point, this is a deliberate attack by some assclown. Hopefully Ty has got the guy's IP and can place a ban.

Files have been removed, crisis averted .. for now. :p

Looks like the same asshole at work, I'll update my wad database and run a check for duplicates.

I wouldn't even consider this person a map thief as such. They are picking pretty well known maps and uploading them under a different name. This is blatant enough that I can't imagine that they really expect to get away with it or get any genuine credit for the maps themselves. To me, it's more like an attempt at /idgames vandalism along the lines of spurious edits to Wikis or forum spamming.

Unfortunately IP-banning is not all that simple--there's not a lot of logging going on. I certainly appreciate your efforts to keep me informed. The recent offending files have been removed (foa7/8 and ks13/14).

I agree that it's like spamming a forum or other web vandalism. Too bad it's that way but I guess anonymity allows it. I'm not going to make drastic changes because legitimate files do need to get through, and unfortunately I can't get to the archives as frequently as I'd like due to that nagging Real Life thingy so there are already delays in processing new ones.

If someone wants to work with me for a while until the scum gets tired, drop me a note (thldrmn at gamers.org) and I'll see if I can come up with a good way of pre-screening without introducing too much delay into the process. The only other alternative is that people will need to email me when they're uploading files, and that's too much.

I don't get it why someone would want too do this. I mean it's not like spamming the idgames/ with super short crappy maps made by you would need any more effort then this. In fact it would probably be even less difficult since you would not have too look for famous WADS too steal.

hardcore_gamer said:

I don't get it why someone would want too do this.

In order to watch reactions in the community, like this thread :(

printz said:

In order to watch reactions in the community, like this thread :(

Actually, I think the guy was just trying to get away with it.

BlackFish said:

This is worse than people randomly stealing ut2004 maps.

Because the person using someone else's maps and claiming it as their own is too fucking lazy to make their own.

Nick Baker's

Cory Banket's

I see absolutely no structure changes at all here. Same goes for KS14:

Russel's

Cory's

Does a DCK 3.3 even exist? I don't remember such a version since I last used it many years ago..Oh wait, that's an old version and the last version I remember was 3.62

Because the person using someone else's maps and claiming it as their own is too fucking lazy to make their own.

Wait, what? It's already been established that Corey was not plagiarizing these maps.

I see nothing different, and both of Cory's say NOT to modify but the ones he plagarized do?

Mr. Chris said:

I see nothing different, and both of Cory's say NOT to modify but the ones he plagarized do?

There is no proof that Cory uploaded those two maps. Pretty much anyone could upload anything and claim to be somebody else. Just because it has a name attached to it doesn't mean the person did it.

Mr. Chris said:

Doom E1M1
Nick Baker's

Doom E1M1
Cory Banket's

I see absolutely no structure changes at all here.

And I see no structure changes at all compared to Knee-Deep in the Dead's Hangar.

Gez said:

And I see no structure changes at all compared to Knee-Deep in the Dead's Hangar.

Try comparing this with this - the differences are more apparent when you play the maps.

GreyGhost said:

Try comparing this with this - the differences are more apparent when you play the maps.

Yeah, indeed. It's just funny to see someone accused of plagiarizing a remake. :)

Mr. Chris said:

It's not really Cory.

Gez said:

You need to play more doom.

This thread seems very good at attracting people that don't get subtle remarks.

Ok. This upsets me GREATLY! Believe it or not, I am the real Harq's son! I will be notifying him in the next couple days. 

Glad I went looking for his wads as a surprise for his recent birthday! 

Also, I notice the collection is not complete, and most likely either he or I will be uploading the entire collection soon... Hopefully...) 

**If anyone would like to dispute my identity, I obviously have no way to prove it, but  I believe I can upload some possibly unreleased and/or boom engine wads of his also. I believe that the quality should speak for itself (hopefully) 

~cadiped

This was over ten years ago.... @cadiped (2009...not 2019) And more notably...unfortunately it was also before uploads required email verification I think - that started 2013, IIRC.

On 6/14/2009 at 2:04 AM, Armaetus said:

Not exactly. I am lazy person, but I never came up with the idea to appropriate someone else's work. Need to be a complete idiot to do that. )

Is @Doomenator = former @Harq from late 90s?

It's pretty clear it wasn't actually the 'author' in the text file who was the perpetrator here :) given Cory Banket's name appears to have been the target of an identical incident just a few days later. Lack of email screening in 2009 taking its toll...

Edited by FrancisT18

1 hour ago, Doomenator said:

Wut?

Harq looks to have been the first author whose name was 'stolen' in these illegitimate uploads...hence what Armaetus referred to as 'the person using someone else's maps and claiming it as their own'. And in response you said you're lazy...but would never come up with that idea yourself.

2 hours ago, FrancisT18 said:

Harq looks to have been the first author whose name was 'stolen' in these illegitimate uploads...hence what Armaetus referred to as 'the person using someone else's maps and claiming it as their own'. And in response you said you're lazy...but would never come up with that idea yourself.

I don't quite understand your extravaganza logic. Armaetus called these people lazy and I said they were stupid, that's all.