Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OfficalGeeDee

Map Template Idea

I'm very new to making maps in Doom, and I'm having a hard time with creativity. I have created a small template for a level but nothing else. I want to know if anyone experienced in creating levels would like to download the template I made and make something creative out of it. That way I can see what others builders do and maybe study it. I'd also like to play said created levels as well. Please let me know if you are interested in making something out of my template.

9 minutes ago, RonnieJamesDiner said:

I'm definitely not "experienced", but it sounds like a fun exercise. I'll take a copy of that template!

Awesome, I sent you a PM with the template!

Seeing as I wont be able to hang around here 24/7 to send the template out, I'll just have it right here as a download. If you want to make something out of it, download it and post it here when you have finished.

TEMPLATE.zip

While the idea of making templates of a map seems quite intriguing it has not borne out in the past. At first there was enthusiasm for the idea but fizzled out very quickly, only one or two templates were ever submitted. If one wanted a template of a map, then running Oblige_7.7 to quickly build a single map is a good option.

However, prefabs for certain constructs is viable, for example doorways, staircases, waterfalls, etc.

Edited by Kappes Buur

If you're having issues with creativity start out super simple - make a functional map and try to make it a bit pretty if you can (no big deal if you can't). Then make your next map and you'll be able to build on what you learnt from the first. Then just keep doing that forever.

I had an issue in a similar way when I started out and it was a mechanics issue - I wasn't familiar enough with the actual workflow of making a map to get into a creative / flow state. The same goes for map layouts, once you've iterated enough you'll know how to lay maps out without having rack your brain.

tl;dr keep making maps and don't dwell on your early maps for too long

I made this earlier using your template, hope it helps give you some ideas. It was quite entertaining making a map with a predefined layout.

Hunger.zip

44 minutes ago, Mike_C said:

I made this earlier using your template, hope it helps give you some ideas. It was quite entertaining making a map with a predefined layout.

Hunger.zip

Awesome, I'm going to check it out as soon as possible. [edit - ok, that level was great, I really like what you came up with and it was a blast playing through it. I recorded my blind reaction to it, hopefully you don't mind if I upload the video?]

Edited by OfficalGeeDee

Here's my pass at the template -

template_v2.zip (MAP01 slot for Doom II)

You had a pretty solid base to work from here. There are a ton of things you could do with this, and it already lends itself well to making areas interconnect and wrap back around to each other. Hopefully this helps a little, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what you might come up with yourself.

As vertigo mentioned, Doom mapping really is a "learn by doing" sort of process. Start small, and just keep making maps. Find maps/authors you really like and try imitating them even, if that helps (imitate - not copy). If you enjoy making layouts, keep doing that, and experimenting with different gameplay ideas, height variations, flows, themes, etc. The amazing thing about making Doom maps is that, the simple things can be achieved really quickly. Maybe your opening room needs a balcony, and a lift to get to it -- you can create that in minutes, if not seconds. The editor and the tools are sophisticated enough to do some really wild things, but simple enough to just let you cut loose with creativity and experimentation at break-neck speeds. Use this to your advantage, and just make stuff. Try stuff. Play stuff. Oh and, have fun. 

10 hours ago, OfficalGeeDee said:

Awesome, I'm going to check it out as soon as possible. [edit - ok, that level was great, I really like what you came up with and it was a blast playing through it. I recorded my blind reaction to it, hopefully you don't mind if I upload the video?]

Glad you liked it, yeah sure! it'll be cool to see someone else playing it.

19 hours ago, RonnieJamesDiner said:

Here's my pass at the template -

template_v2.zip (MAP01 slot for Doom II)

You had a pretty solid base to work from here. There are a ton of things you could do with this, and it already lends itself well to making areas interconnect and wrap back around to each other. Hopefully this helps a little, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what you might come up with yourself.

As vertigo mentioned, Doom mapping really is a "learn by doing" sort of process. Start small, and just keep making maps. Find maps/authors you really like and try imitating them even, if that helps (imitate - not copy). If you enjoy making layouts, keep doing that, and experimenting with different gameplay ideas, height variations, flows, themes, etc. The amazing thing about making Doom maps is that, the simple things can be achieved really quickly. Maybe your opening room needs a balcony, and a lift to get to it -- you can create that in minutes, if not seconds. The editor and the tools are sophisticated enough to do some really wild things, but simple enough to just let you cut loose with creativity and experimentation at break-neck speeds. Use this to your advantage, and just make stuff. Try stuff. Play stuff. Oh and, have fun. 

My god, that level was packed to the brim with action. Here’s my reaction to it 

I smell a new YouTube series brewing, love the picture. Hopefully more people take a crack at that template! As far as that sequence break... erm, yeah, unintentional. It's funny, when I first made that room I tried to make sure that jump wasn't possible, then hours later when I swept through the map adding barrels I just completely forgot about that and didn't even think about it. Whoops. Nice find, though.

Really enjoyed Mike's map as well, had an awesome Knee-Deep in the Dead vibe! 

31 minutes ago, RonnieJamesDiner said:

I smell a new YouTube series brewing, love the picture. Hopefully more people take a crack at that template! As far as that sequence break... erm, yeah, unintentional. It's funny, when I first made that room I tried to make sure that jump wasn't possible, then hours later when I swept through the map adding barrels I just completely forgot about that and didn't even think about it. Whoops. Nice find, though.

Really enjoyed Mike's map as well, had an awesome Knee-Deep in the Dead vibe! 

If I don’t get many more submissions I’ll probably just find random wads. I’m also planning on doing each main series doom game. And that’s funny that you did think about that yellow key jump at first. I’m going to try to turn that template into an actual level this weekend.

Nice map Ronnie, I had a blast playing it! that boss room at the end was cool as F.

I liked the videos too, hopefully more people will give this a go; it would be awesome to see what others come up with.

Maybe it would be a good idea to move this or start a new topic in the wads section as a community project.

1 hour ago, Mike_C said:

Nice map Ronnie, I had a blast playing it! that boss room at the end was cool as F.

I liked the videos too, hopefully more people will give this a go; it would be awesome to see what others come up with.

Maybe it would be a good idea to move this or start a new topic in the wads section as a community project.

I attempted to turn my template into something, I think I’m going to spend some time trying to create a few more small levels. Glad you liked the videos and yeah, hopefully more people give my template a go at editing.

38 minutes ago, quickey said:

Are you strictly doing boom? or can we use any type of format for mapping?

Any format, so long as the template gets used to it’s full potential