Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ReeseJamPiece

Quake III Arena vs Unreal Tournament

Neither, but in a "pick one" situation, Q3A because it's the one I played.  I never really got into the original Unreal (I played through it once upon a time, barely remember it, and every now and then I dust it off and try giving it another go, but something about it just seems to rub me the wrong way) so never bothered with UT at all.  I probably only bothered with Q3A because it had "Quake" in the name, TBH.

I liked both but Unreal Tournament won by a mile with me.   It was a combination of the gunplay, map design, music and user made maps that had me hooked on the UT series well into 2004.   Some of the original UT maps are still outstanding to this day (Facing Worlds, that flat DM map that took place in a garage, a user made map called Sword CTF)(hell I even liked the map that took place on a galley).    Quake III was good, really good even; but I thought the bots, maps, and guns were just better overall in UT.    

The single player Unreal game I never got into though...

i prefer Q3A because the movement is just much more fun, and overall i feel its slightly more balanced than UT

17 hours ago, joepallai said:

Some of the original UT maps are still outstanding to this day (Facing Worlds, that flat DM map that took place in a garage, a user made map called Sword CTF)(hell I even liked the map that took place on a galley).    Quake III was good, really good even; but I thought the [...] maps [...] were just better overall in UT.   

What?  UT's deathmatch maps were an absolute atrocity.

Deck 16 has the Ripper dead-end, and IC player controls all three armor pickups from a high-ground location that can only be attacked from one side.  This was the most popular, and probably best, map in the game, that's how bad UT's maps were.

Curse, Codex, Malevolence, Viridian, Bishop, and Grinder had good layouts but only two armors; IC player gets all the free time in the world to do whatever he wants, with only two items to collect.  In Curse and Codex, one of those items only spawns once-per-minute, making IC even less busy.

Turbine is underscaled, and has the campable shield-belt closet.

Liandri and Tempest are both hugely overscaled, ending in frequent 1-0 matches.

Agony was decent-sized and had three armors, making it instantly one of the top-two maps in the game, but was a boring and almost completely flat collection of rooms.

Phobos is almost great, but it has the goofy "up-top" area that ruins it.

Every other map was basically never played because it was awful in some way or another.  Most tried to look like real places at the cost of having awful flow/no playability.

Quake 3, on the other hand, while it had plenty of duds, also had great maps like The Campgrounds, Blood Run, The Lost World, Hub, Vertical Vengeance, Almost Lost, and The Proving Grounds.

Watch that map and try to say ut99 is better than q3. There's not even a competition tbh, ut99 is fun but doesn't even come close to touching q3.

22 hours ago, xvertigox said:

Watch that map and try to say ut99 is better than q3. There's not even a competition tbh, ut99 is fun but doesn't even come close to touching q3.

When it comes to competitive 1v1 play, yes, Q3A is superior. However, that's ignoring everything else UT offers. People play these games for more than just full-on, serious competition, and for that UT is a much more flexible package overall.

5 hours ago, amackert said:

When it comes to competitive 1v1 play, yes, Q3A is superior. However, that's ignoring everything else UT offers. People play these games for more than just full-on, serious competition, and for that UT is a much more flexible package overall.

I agree to an extent, the ut99 base game is more comprehensive but if we factor in mods I think q3 outperforms in that respect too.

On 11/18/2019 at 3:44 PM, xvertigox said:

welp, looks like I'll be reinstalling Quake 3 tonight

UT99 is easily my favourite arena shooter that I played over and over again. Never got a chance to play Q3 until I got a slither of its quality on Q Live, followed by playing a few LANS in college. I'm sure mechanically Q3 gets people's rocks off more than most, but UT99 atmospherically and graphically blew it out of the water for me personally.