Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheNoob_Gamer

Is Doom 64 a canon prequel to Doom 4? (Outdated topic)

With Doom 64 being rereleased again worldwide, does it mean the game is finally acknowledged as an official prequel to Doom 4?

Edited by TheNoob_Gamer

Officially, I don't think they ever said it was. However, I like to believe it is. And who knows, when Eternal comes they might confirm it within the game.

Officially, it was never confirmed by id, but the chance is there. Hugo said they might answer the question in Eternal for those who look for the answer. We'll see in March I guess.

I'm one of those people who like to think that it is.

I believe that Doom 4's lore may imply a loose connection between itself and Doom 64 (obviously via the endpoint of the latter, and beginning of the former). But this is potentially a reference only. Now, could this be done via retconning significant portions of previous games? Of course. That being said, I don't care for the melding of Doom guy and Doom Slayer. I see the two as completely different characters, both avatars for the player, but in completely different contexts. The original Doom, did all within its power to immerse the player. Doom guy IS the player. In the reboot, the Doom Slayer is not the player, he is a vehicle for power fantasy, rather than immersion, you aren't the Doom Slayer, you are simply in his shoes. I'm sorry if that didn't make any sense, I hope you understand what I'm trying to convey.

6 hours ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

With Doom 64 being rereleased again worldwide

I missed this part. The only likely reason for why it's seeing a re-release next year (originally meant for Nov 2019) is because 2019 marked the 25th anniversary of Doom 2 when the classic games saw yet another multiplatform re-release, and there's likely still a player base for the game big enough to warrant a commercial remaster. It doesn't have anything to do with being acknowledged as a prequel to the Doom reboots.

What would "acknowledged as an official prequel" actually entails? Hugo Martin saying it?

There are enough elements in there to already make it canon if you want it. For example, you actually kinda revisit locations from Doom 64 in Doom 2016:

(If you don't know, Jason OConnell is a level designer at id Software, so that's not a fan interpretation.)

6 hours ago, Gez said:

What would "acknowledged as an official prequel" actually entails? Hugo Martin saying it?

To me, yes (or any other dev), because things seen or said in the game can also be nothing more than mere references/tribute to an older entry in the series.

I’ve got a feeling that there could very well be some significant references to DOOM 64 in Eternal which maybe one of the reasons it’s getting the re-release. 

The recent re-release of Unity Doom 2 now proves that Final Doom and No Rest For The Living are not canon, but The Master Levels now are.

1 hour ago, Revenant100 said:

The Master Levels now are.

What? At least 4 wads in there have a seperated storyline, so why are Master Levels canon?

It's all in the numbers:

Final Doom

• Can't buy it on any current gen platform or device (PC doesn't count), effectively erased from history

No Rest For The Living

• Can't buy it on any current gen platform or device (PC doesn't count), effectively erased from history

The Master Levels

I rest my case.

21 hours ago, Eurisko said:

I’ve got a feeling that there could very well be some significant references to DOOM 64 in Eternal which maybe one of the reasons it’s getting the re-release. 

I bet it's getting re-released because there were a ton of comments on the Doom switch release trailer complaining about them including Doom 3 but not Doom 64. Though it could be well before that when they saw people were still interested in it and with all the 2016 references and reddit discussions, comparisons....etc

Edited by sluggard

33 minutes ago, sluggard said:

Though it could be well before that when they saw people were still interested in it and with all the 2016 references and reddit discussions, comparisons....etc

Pretty much this. I doubt they would have bothered with a commercial re-release if they didn't expect there to be a player base big enough to warrant one (you know, a product needs to sell after all). They're already well aware of Brutal Doom 64 and Retribution (likely even GEC GZDoom Master Edition), saw the demand and their popularity, and figured they should capitalize on the idea.

5 hours ago, sluggard said:

I bet it's getting re-released because there were a ton of comments on the Doom switch release trailer complaining about them including Doom 3 but not Doom 64. 

No. There were ratings board entries for Doom64 that the public knew about before QuakeCon even hit.

Edited by Edward850

I should probably keep my mouth shut but just because I don't want the credit going where it doesn't belong I'm going to say this much - we are why Doom 64 is getting a re-release. It wasn't going to happen without the effort we put in to make it happen, period. I won't go into further specifics other than to say it was a lengthy process of finding the right people to get on board with it and then having them get the approvals from within. And these things were in motion way before any of the social media stuff being bandied about above.

5 minutes ago, Quasar said:

I should probably keep my mouth shut but just because I don't want the credit going where it doesn't belong I'm going to say this much - we are why Doom 64 is getting a re-release. It wasn't going to happen without the effort we put in to make it happen, period. I won't go into further specifics other than to say it was a lengthy process of finding the right people to get on board with it and then having them get the approvals from within. And these things were in motion way before any of the social media stuff being bandied about above.

I can't wait to throw my money at you.

1 hour ago, Quasar said:

we are why Doom 64 is getting a re-release. It wasn't going to happen without the effort we put in to make it happen

That's cool, I wasn't aware of this. I appreciate it.

Edited by sluggard

18 hours ago, sluggard said:

I bet it's getting re-released because there were a ton of comments on the Doom switch release trailer complaining about them including Doom 3 but not Doom 64. Though it could be well before that when they saw people were still interested in it and with all the 2016 references and reddit discussions, comparisons....etc

Quite possibly , It's clearly a loved entry in the series that has been shackled by Nintendo hardware for too long. 

Honestly I think anyone committed to analysing the Doom and id canon is committing themselves to an aneurysm.

On 11/17/2019 at 10:43 AM, seed said:

(likely even GEC GZDoom Master Edition)

I doubt Id or Bethesda know about GEC and GZDoom Master Edition...