Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nicolas monti

How do I make a zblood map in doombuilder

Question

I never tried something like this, only mapped for vanilla.

Do I load the zblood wad as resource and use their "elements" (textures, things, etc) as I normally do with any map or do I need a special option in Doombuilder or even a modified editor?

Thanks!!!

9 answers to this question

Do note that ZBlood v41 is often considered old and subpar nowadays. ZBlood v51, ZBloody Hell and some other Blood mods exist which have more accurate weapons and monsters, plus they are just far more polished and complete than the original ZBlood.

That is, unless you want to make your map compatible with ZDaemon, in which case you still have to use ZBlood v41 without the BludSP1.wad loaded, and use Doom-in-Hexen format instead of UDMF. Or if you just prefer ZBlood v41 (Though i still recommend trying out the other available versions, they are a massive improvement).

21 minutes ago, -TDRR- said:

Do note that ZBlood v41 is often considered old and subpar nowadays. ZBlood v51, ZBloody Hell and some other Blood mods exist which have more accurate weapons and monsters, plus they are just far more polished and complete than the original ZBlood.

That is, unless you want to make your map compatible with ZDaemon, in which case you still have to use ZBlood v41 without the BludSP1.wad loaded, and use Doom-in-Hexen format instead of UDMF. Or if you just prefer ZBlood v41 (Though i still recommend trying out the other available versions, they are a massive improvement).

Yep, I was searching for modern versions.. what do you consider the best so far? Do they use the regular zdoom features? I do not know what is UDMF configuration or what allows to the mapper.

16 minutes ago, nicolas monti said:

Yep, I was searching for modern versions.. what do you consider the best so far? Do they use the regular zdoom features? I do not know what is UDMF configuration or what allows to the mapper.

ZBloody Hell has to be my favorite one thus far, everything feels good to use. ZBlood v51 has more accurate weapons though, and i'm not too sure about the monsters. I suggest you just try them both and decide for yourself. Both are compatible with Zandronum 3.0's featureset, and with GZDoom 1.8.6.

Ah, you did mention that you only ever used Vanilla format before, so i assume you don't know what the Hexen and UDMF formats are. Doom-in-Hexen is outdated by this point and there's no good reason to use it nowadays, people mention that "UDMF overwhelms the mapper with too many features" but i think that's really false, if anything, it has the same featureset as Doom-in-Hexen but it's 10 times easier to use.

I'd recommend using UDMF format, but if you don't want any of the advanced features, ZDoom-in-Doom will work though it's quite limited, but you should feel right at home with it considering it's largely the same things you know from Vanilla format and a bit more.

5 minutes ago, -TDRR- said:

ZBloody Hell has to be my favorite one thus far, everything feels good to use. ZBlood v51 has more accurate weapons though, and i'm not too sure about the monsters. I suggest you just try them both and decide for yourself. Both are compatible with Zandronum 3.0's featureset, and with GZDoom 1.8.6.

Ah, you did mention that you only ever used Vanilla format before, so i assume you don't know what the Hexen and UDMF formats are. Doom-in-Hexen is outdated by this point and there's no good reason to use it nowadays, people mention that "UDMF overwhelms the mapper with too many features" but i think that's really false, if anything, it has the same featureset as Doom-in-Hexen but it's 10 times easier to use.

I'd recommend using UDMF format, but if you don't want any of the advanced features, ZDoom-in-Doom will work though it's quite limited, but you should feel right at home with it considering it's largely the same things you know from Vanilla format and a bit more.

I only tried slopes before, but I'm not sure about all the zdoom potential, if it allows doors like blood, fake room over room or mobile sectors, I guess my first attemp will be just vanilla with some slopes. If I have the time I will do my research.

EDIT: not to mention openning the mod maps and looking for the actions employed.

19 minutes ago, nicolas monti said:

I only tried slopes before, but I'm not sure about all the zdoom potential, if it allows doors like blood, fake room over room or mobile sectors, I guess my first attemp will be just vanilla with some slopes. If I have the time I will do my research.

EDIT: not to mention openning the mod maps and looking for the actions employed.

Do note that setting doors and stuff with UDMF is largely identical to doing so with Vanilla, so you should try making a basic room with opening doors and switches to see if you should stick with ZDoom-in-Doom format or use UDMF instead.

Yeah, doors like in Blood along with mobile sectors are doable with Polyobjects, and fake room over room can be done in a true 3D way using 3D-floors, portals work too but it's not really something i would recommend after having experimented with them myself. Portals also break Zandronum compatibility unless you are willing to use hacks, so if you want to keep Zandronum compatibility, i recommed just using 3D-floors instead (Or not doing room over room at all)

10 minutes ago, -TDRR- said:

Do note that setting doors and stuff with UDMF is largely identical to doing so with Vanilla, so you should try making a basic room with opening doors and switches to see if you should stick with ZDoom-in-Doom format or use UDMF instead.

Yeah, doors like in Blood along with mobile sectors are doable with Polyobjects, and fake room over room can be done in a true 3D way using 3D-floors, portals work too but it's not really something i would recommend after having experimented with them myself. Portals also break Zandronum compatibility unless you are willing to use hacks, so if you want to keep Zandronum compatibility, i recommed just using 3D-floors instead (Or not doing room over room at all)

Great, I'll check the mod myseft to see what it can offer and I'll try to emulate the ticks for my own map.