Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
snapshot

Half-Life: Alyx - Valve flagship VR game

Oh my fucking god, did they literally draw that Alyx text in Paint or something? It looked incredibly lazy.

Game also looks odd to me, on so many occasions I had the feeling it's only a slight improvement over HL2 in terms of visual fidelity, with the models being the only thing standing out. It doesn't feel too much like HL either, it's kinda... soulless I guess.

It seems it very much is a VR exclusive too after all, just read an interview and they claim VR is so deeply connected to the experience a "flat panel edition would simply not be the same". The March 2020 release date was also confirmed. So it seems the vast majority of teases from VNN were true, but it doesn't change my expectations much (I expected nothing anyway). It's gonna be roughly the same length as HL2, but it doesn't look all that interesting or even promising. The sound design doesn't remind me of anything HL at all (wow, a Metrocop death sound, such a throwback... yay... Mhm... ).

So, underwhelming for me overall (and being VR exclusive means I have no reason to care at all since I have no interest in VR). I don't expect it to be more than an average VR game.

Alyx is voiced by Ozioma Akagha apparently, I'll take it. It's gonna be long before I even get to play it properly, and hearing a protagonist that you control talk will only make me feel disconnected from it instead of actually being the protagonist. Youtube it is then.

Eli's voice acting is so forced and cringe lmao, G-Man is looking hot, very sinister. Looks good so far, no complaints personally, didn't have too high expectations for this. The designs of combine gives me the impression this takes place before or during the 7 Hour War.

Edited by sluggard

guy in the light blue shirt is dario casali btw, one half of the brothers who made Plutonia

I'm happy with the trailer, it looks good and VR kind of makes sense for a linear semi puzzle first person Sci-fi game.

In saying that, I'm quite disappointed this is a VR game. I can only hope it revives the franchise.

holy cow this game looks awesome!

The VR part doesn't matter much to me as my computer is pretty powerful and I've been wanting to get a headset anyway and they're getting pretty affordable nowadays 

2 hours ago, Chezza said:

I'm quite disappointed this is a VR game.

Same here. I have no desire or interest in VR. The concept is cool, and it sounded cool back in the day when it was only a theory... but in practice it's just odd. I much prefer standard mouse and keyboard setup. Having it VR only is like a huge kick to the groin of all us Half-Life fans.

But, at least it's new Half-Life. For Valve, anything Half-Life is rare.

You know, it's not like I don't have interest in VR, hell, I've tried it in the past and I really enjoyed what I've experienced, but I just don't have the room for a VR headset since my computer is set up in a pretty small room. It's a damn shame too because this game looks like it could be really good.

Looks great except for, as others have mentioned, the whole VR-only thing. Is the VR market really large enough for this to sell like hotcakes though? Seems like it would be smart for Valve to make a version that's a regular FPS as well.

7 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

Looks great except for, as others have mentioned, the whole VR-only thing. Is the VR market really large enough for this to sell like hotcakes though? Seems like it would be smart for Valve to make a version that's a regular FPS as well.

I think this is supposed to be THE VR title to prove it as a medium. Obviously valve is very interested in VR, and there has been exactly zero evidence to suggest this game will be playable without VR, I mean the experience is tailored completely around it, if the interviews are correct. Valve has "fuck you money" so if anyone can push VR into the mainstream, without worrying about commercial viability, its them.

1 minute ago, some guy who made a wad said:

bruh this is a site about doom...

however I like this and want to see more!

Subforum: Everything else, you can literally post anything here.

1 hour ago, Spectre01 said:

Looks great except for, as others have mentioned, the whole VR-only thing. Is the VR market really large enough for this to sell like hotcakes though?

Not remotely, but I believe Valve is playing a different game here than just straight sales. VR has big potential, but has lacked the big show stopper that is going to make most people want to splurge on a headset. This game is likely an attempt to accomplish exactly that. Good looking game from a well known property, more headset sales, more developers producing better quality games, lather, rinse, repeat.

In theory.

Not a fan of VR and as absurd as this might sound I'm done with HL in general. The only thing that could bring me back is a HL3 with the team that got out of Valve, but this is not happening.

Seems like a fairly fun thing for people who enjoy VR stuff though. I hope it's at least worth their time and that Valve doesn't ruin the thing with certain modern gimmicks if you know what I mean... You don't? Oh... I mean stuff like gacha/lootboxes, agressive microtransactions and stuff that ruins games like that (for me at least).

Yeah, I'm not paying $1000 for a VR headset, and another $1000 for a new gaming computer to play VR games. I could probably get away with upgrading my GPU for $400-600. But I'm not putting another $1000 down for Valve's headset. Especially not for a Half-Life spin-off. I've been playing Half-Life since 1998, I signed up for Steam just for Half-Life 2, and it wasn't that good. Half-Life: EP 1 was ok. Half-Life EP 2 was really kind of crap. I don't care about the franchise at this point, because it's been 12 years since the last entry, when Valve was really pushing episodic content as the future of games.

So yeah, fuck em. They haven't made a really good game in 21 years, and now they're trying to sell me $1000 worth of hardware, and I would have to upgrade my PC to even use it.

5 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

Apparently Valve is bundling the game with anyone already owned / about to buy Valve Index / Valve Index Controllers, so yeah.

It's just not for me, when I come back home and feel like playing I just want to sit and relax playing normally. It honestly doesn't sound like something I'd be using very often. Maybe just every once in a while but that's it, doesn't seem like a worthy investment.

Edited by sluggard

They could do a Rockstar job and sell it exclusively and say "there are no current plans to release this in other platforms" then a year later announce it for a big burst of income.

Updated Half-Life website, and some details about the plot (also on Steam page): https://www.half-life.com/en/alyx/

Set between the events of Half-Life and Half-Life 2, Alyx Vance and her father Eli mount an early resistance to the Combine's brutal occupation of Earth.

The loss of the Seven-Hour War is still fresh. In the shadow of a rising Combine fortress known as the Citadel, residents of City 17 learn to live under the rule of their invaders. But among this scattered population are two of Earth's most resourceful scientists: Dr. Eli Vance and his daughter Alyx, the founders of a fledgling resistance.

You are Alyx Vance, and you’re about to spark a revolution

You and your father were relocated to City 17. In the years since, you've continued your clandestine scientific activity—performing critical research, and building invaluable tools for the few humans brave enough to defy the Combine.

Every day you learn more about your enemy, and every day you work toward finding a weakness.

Edited by sluggard

Half-Life-Alyx-Screen.jpg

Half-Life: Rayman

---

I have no interest in this or other FP VR games. The only games I could possibly see me enjoying with current year VR hardware are some race and flight sims.

Edited by Slipgate Tourist

looks really cool... but why do all VR games have to have floating disembodied hands? why not attach arms?