Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tsunstealer

Does anyone else think this game is going to suck?

19 minutes ago, CBM said:

If a competent company got free hands to make an Ultimate game, we could have an ultra modern doom/fallout/strife type game without bugs

Have you played Outer Worlds? I hear its a better Fallout game than actual Fallout 4. 

36 minutes ago, Super Mighty G said:

Have you played Outer Worlds? I hear its a better Fallout game than actual Fallout 4. 

I will try that.. does it have base building?

base building, weapon modding, armor modding and robot creation are among my favorite features in fallout 4, besides the fps thing... often I load it up with zombie mods to have a kind of z nation thing going on

1 hour ago, CBM said:

Well a sandbox game like fallout 4 is Much more complex Than any doom game and that game has Many great mods and many by just One or two people

Very different. Most mods for Fallout 4 will be one piece of equipment, like a weapon or an outfit. A lot will just be one NPC follower, usually with huge anime tiddies. These mods can work because they get grafted on the existing open world.

But if you take a look at SnapMap, you get something that's quite close to how you can design locations in Fallout 3/NV/4 or Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim: by snapping together pieces from a tileset, like Lego bricks. And there are tons of SnapMaps out there.

19 minutes ago, Gez said:

Very different. Most mods for Fallout 4 will be one piece of equipment, like a weapon or an outfit. A lot will just be one NPC follower, usually with huge anime tiddies. These mods can work because they get grafted on the existing open world.

But if you take a look at SnapMap, you get something that's quite close to how you can design locations in Fallout 3/NV/4 or Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim: by snapping together pieces from a tileset, like Lego bricks. And there are tons of SnapMaps out there.

ok well must admit that I have yet to experience snapmap.... I got doom 2016 when it came out and haven't been able to stand it long enough to complete it, much less map for it

in 2016 I bought a pc with 32 GB memory, i7-6900k and a GTX 1080

and the first 2 steam games I bought shortly after, was Doom 2016 and Fallout 4.. however with the right settings doom 2016 also runs fine on my ryzen 3 2200g system with 16 GB memory

it feels like doom 2016 and likely coming doom games are about profit above gameplay.. or I am just a grumpy old doomguy hehe

outerworlds looks interesting, obsidian makes great games

Edited by CBM

39 minutes ago, CBM said:

it feels like doom 2016 and likely coming doom games are about profit above gameplay.. or I am just a grumpy old doomguy hehe

"I hate this new version of my favorite game so it must be for corporate gain!"

Have you seen the development history behind it? It was originally going to be a CoD clone but that idea was completely scrapped when Id didn't feel like it was in the spirit of DOOM. Whether you agree or not that DOOM 2016 is true to the series is a different matter, but I should reiterate that Id went back to the drawing board and started from scratch because they wanted to avoid following trends.

Also, DOOM 2016 doesn't have proper mod support because your average modder wouldn't be able to take full advantage of the SDK due to engine limitations that stem from the R&D team working from the remains of Id Tech 5, an engine which I might add had its development led by John Carmack himself. Current Id has even stated that they really want to do mod support and they're making changes with Id Tech 7 that will hopefully allow that (though they don't guarantee it because, you know, engine development is hard).

3 hours ago, Uter Lokales said:

Todd Howard?Do you have head problems after F76?  He is the director of Bethesda games and does not belong to Bethesda publisher in any way. He has no influence on Doom Eternal.

Did I say he WAS involved in eternal? no, I said I doubt it.
Though I agree, he deserves the boot at this point from BSG.

No I don't think Doom Eternal may suck because Doom 64 might be a bad port?

Doom 2016 is a strong foundation they can build upon. If you didn't like 2016 you may not like Eternal.

But I fucking love Doom 2016 and the trailers + peoples demos for Eternal only gets me more excited.

Edited by Chezza

1 hour ago, CBM said:

it feels like doom 2016 and likely coming doom games are about profit above gameplay.. 

That couldn't be further from the truth. Your opinion is ill informed. I suggest you watch this documentary. 

2 hours ago, CBM said:

ZeniMax Media owns both id software and Bethesda (publisher and studio). I'm thinking that unlike game developers and publishers who trade as or form part of public companies, as a private company they may not be constitutionally required to make as much money as is absolutely inhumanly possible, and damnation to good sense and ethics along the way.

This isn't to say ZeniMax aren't interested in making money; but they seem to be flexible enough to have Bethesda function as the cash cow while giving the people at id software the elbow room they need to create the games they want.

Maybe someone high up in ZeniMax actually gives a tiny little shit about making good games? I doubt it, probably just a case of them being more pragmatic in their greed. As a potential customer I'm happy to pay the one-time price of £60 for Doom Eternal. I'd also be interested in buying decent single player DLC, if any are being planned. But I will not bother paying for anything else.

16 hours ago, qdash said:

2) Too much Mortal Kombat in game, all of these finishers - it's FPS not fighting. From glory kill to glory kill to glory kill to glory kill... It looks boring in long term perspective.

You could just shoot the monster again. You don't have to glory kill everything.

On 11/20/2019 at 8:00 AM, tsunstealer said:

this isn’t the Id that made Doom 1-3

I just wanna say that for the record 3 sucks more than 4.

Well I must admit that I have only my own experience with doom 2016 to judge the game upon.

It sounds interesting that they are investigating mod support. For me mod support is essential for a Doom game.

I am puzzled as to why the sister games are not remade as well... Strife, hexen, heretic

There is zero reason that Doom, quake, heretic, hexen, strife and ? Could not All be sister games in a new engine

A modern doom engine with mod support and sister games Should be possible

Glad to hear that id is able to do the games they want to

I Really like the design of the demons in ethernal...  Much more Classic Than the ones in 2016 imo

I am not fond of the cartoon powerups and 1ups and it needs more blood and gore from the demons but besides that it looks really good

Just Saw videoes about ethernal and

I like the weapons, monster and level design of doom ethernal and the levels themselves look like they have plenty blood and gore

I was not Happy with doom 2016 but the more I See About doom ethernal ... the more I like it... I might even begin to be a little hyped About it :)

Edited by CBM

19 hours ago, seed said:

You're also forgetting something here. The kind of "modding" that was seen in those games can't really be done anymore, or not to the same extent as the technology and complexity of the games themselves has greatly evolved. It's also why mods for other games are no longer done by one person handling everything, but by teams responsible of different aspects.

And that kind of modding can be better use as their proper game, example. Black Mesa.

8 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Because they are niche I think.
Strife got a re-release by Nightdive, though.

yes I discovered that game myself, just a few hours while surfing around... I need to try that game I think... Also GOG has a lot of cool stuff as well like Quake 4

I don't think it will suck, but I hate the art direction for Doom Eternal, making everything more cartoon-like and over the top. All those retro demon designs, it's uninspired and boring for me.

My first post was a bit lazy to be honest and now after reading the OP properly again it does come across as very very baity and to be brutally honest with you...... something that I'd expect to read in the YouTube comments section or on facebook. 

DOOM 2016 was a triumph and so well made and held in high regard by old and new fans , It surprised the shit out of me and then seeing passion that the devs have for it in documentaries like the No-Clip one in particular ...... I have zero doubt that Eternal will be nothing short of being just as good as '16 if not better. 

You can throw the Bethesda argument at me all day but they ain't making it. Id is. And THAT sir ,is good enough for me.

14 hours ago, CBM said:

I am puzzled as to why the sister games are not remade as well... Strife, hexen, heretic

There is zero reason that Doom, quake, heretic, hexen, strife and ? Could not All be sister games in a new engine

Doom and Quake are both iD games, yeah, but Hexen and Strife were not, so I'm guessing it's an issue of licensing. Technically Doom 64 was also not iD, but it's still under the Doom brand, so I guess that works out regardless. 

3 hours ago, Tetzlaff said:

I don't think it will suck, but I hate the art direction for Doom Eternal, making everything more cartoon-like and over the top. All those retro demon designs, it's uninspired and boring for me.

I don't mind the throwback designs because they still look different enough in some ways and this is after the series went through different art styles but i feel like in an expansion or new game, they could focus on something new.

I do think the glowy "arcadeness" is a bit too much.

Some designs also feel like they have a lot more to talk about compared to 2016.

The stuff is still "overdetailed" but the exposed chamber/skull/chain rocket launcher looks more interesting than "just a green detailed" rocket launcher from 2016.

Spoiler

I wonder when will the game "go gold"/becomes officially finished.

It may not change the date but i wonder how much is needed to finish the game.

On 11/21/2019 at 11:50 AM, Bauul said:

It's phrasing like this that makes your post come across as bait.

If you are genuinely asking whether most people think the immediate sequel to one of the most highly regarded FPS games of the last 10 years will be a "turd nugget", you can't be surprised when people roll their eyes at you. 

Oh my goodness, excuse me for using colorful language 🙄 this is not a tackle shop. I have no bait. 

but thanks everyone. I’ve seen opinions from both sides. I’ve decided to wait it out before buying the game. I didn’t know about the people behind Doom 64 EX were making the 64 port, so I’m glad that was addressed. Now I have no worries in that regard. 

Edited by tsunstealer

I don't think it will suck.

For me it looks like Doom 2016++. As Doom 2 was for Doom 1.

I remember some magazines giving Doom 2 lower ratings than Doom 1. I never understood why - better visuals, better weapons, more monsters, nice Hell on Earth setting.

I wonder if when the game is actually finished, they would annouce it "going gold" or whatever.

Because that won't change the release date but i am curious for how much the game needs to be finished.

I also wonder if the destructible demons feature would ever have a chance of affecting performance because aside from gameplay stuff like "shoot a Manc's cannons to change how he behaves", i don't mind turning off a Zombieman being visually destroyed if it's for visual effect and not gameplay related.

I'm sure it'll be great. Since the release date got pushed back that gives id Software more time to work on the game/polish it up. After finally playing Doom 2016 this year, i ended up liking it. It's not my favorite Doom game but it's definitely better than most AAA FPS games out there nowaday's and it's definitely fitting of the Doom name imo.

I just had this shitty theory for the Doomguy being mostly faceless in the games and a face reveal event, but it may not work when he's not really 100% faceless. (and it's a terrible idea, that i just ripped off from DC comics)

Spoiler

Basically, he "sacrificed" his face for power (or was forced to do it) and at some point, he tries to get it back and you find like something holding his ripped off face and he puts it back in, making the face in the HUD appear. (and it magically fixates into his head like it was never ripped off)

Sounds a bit edgy and it will never happen because, again, he's not that faceless for something like this to happen.

I'm skeptical of it.

I found 2016 to be extremely repetitive and mind-numbing for the most part, especially the hell stages. At least they're adding to the bestiary, and it seems like it will have more location diversity, so I'm assuming it'll be at least marginally better.

I have complete faith in Marty Stratton. He is the writing on the wall, the whisper in the night. Without these things, he is nothing. So now, I must shed hard earned green. And whats green for, if not for shedding?

18 hours ago, Synthdrm said:

I'm skeptical of it.

I found 2016 to be extremely repetitive and mind-numbing for the most part, especially the hell stages. At least they're adding to the bestiary, and it seems like it will have more location diversity, so I'm assuming it'll be at least marginally better.

The thing about Hell feeling repetitive is that they could have just created different sections of Hell based off different classic Hell stuff, without even always mixing it up in the same way as some of the classic levels.

Just something that goes "are you tired of the same yellow caves? here's red and pink flesh and bones and if you're tired of that, here's some FIREBLU and metal/steel pipes or something".

So i hope Hell is at least more diverse as far as location art direction goes because Hell in Doom was always complex in some ways.

Another issue with being repetitive might be the arena lockdowns, so i hope there's some variety with enemy encounters along with a greater focus on enemy abilities because stuff like "self healing demons" or a little bit of hitscan could be balanced and not feel out of place in a game where you're meant to be a power fantasy.

They also had like a clip from E3 where they show off different events/challenges in levels and they even brought back the Radsuit, along with additions like swimming and "pushable" blocks, so there will be variety for the gameplay.