Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheUnknown

Splitscreen Brutal Doom? Complex?

I've been trying for fucking hours, yet I can't find a way to play doom split screen. I've tried legacy, didn't work. Any other ports that work? Also, I would like to play with mods, WHILE playing split screen. 

Try SSZDoom, Can't gaurantee it'll work with Complex Doom though but it's the only ZDoom fork I know of that can do splitscreen (launch it with command line parameter -splitscreen to enable Splitscreen).

26 minutes ago, dmg_64 said:

Try SSZDoom, Can't gaurantee it'll work with Complex Doom though but it's the only ZDoom fork I know of that can do splitscreen (launch it with command line parameter -splitscreen to enable Splitscreen).

Command what?

Yeah, you can modify the batch file, Right click it > Modify and add the following line next to -splitscreen

-file <modfilename.pk3/wad> <modfilename2.pk3/wad> ... etc

sszdoom -splitscreen -file "haha-yes.wad"

Mid 2017, yeah I'm pretty sure you'll get some errors with modern mods (whatever has been added to GZDoom since) because of the older code ssZDoom (based on ZDoom 2.8.1) is using. Plus, DumdogsWorld hasn't posted on the ZDoom thread since February 3rd 2017 hasn't posted since.

13 hours ago, TheUnknown said:

I've tried legacy, didn't work.

You're new, but FYI Legacy is, well, legacy software to say the least. And it hasn't aged well.

I haven't kept up with the ZDoom scene in a long time but I know @Edward850's been working on a splitscreen branch (nicknamed "banana split" IIRC) of the Eternity Engine. This would be more for conservative play, it wouldn't even begin to serve your needs for the kinds of mods you like to play.

Admittedly irrelevant, but I often wonder what the best way to handle 2 player split-screen in wider aspect ratios is. With 4:3, that's narrow enough that you can get a nice and wide 8:3 ratio for both players, but with 16:9, that's just too wide to be aesthetically pleasing. The stretched FOV can be ignored easily enough, but it still irks me on some level. 8:9 doesn't seem like a very nice ratio, unless you compensated with a higher FOV, at which point the view would look too tall for what most people are used to.

It's probably not something that devs have considered all that much for the past decade; the 7th gen of consoles coincided with the wide adoption of 16:9 and focused on bringing PC style multiplayer to consoles (attempted before but Xbox was the first successful attempt at it, so successful that you'd be a fool not to compete *cough*nintentdo*cough*), meaning that splitscreen wasn't even a consideration regardless of the user's aspect ratio.

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 12:09 PM, tempdecal.wad said:

Yeah, you can modify the batch file, Right click it > Modify and add the following line next to -splitscreen

-file <modfilename.pk3/wad> <modfilename2.pk3/wad> ... etc

sszdoom -splitscreen -file "haha-yes.wad"

how can I move the second player as I set it up?

On 7/1/2018 at 4:32 AM, kedesmash said:

how can I move the second player as I set it up?

You need two XInput controllers (Xbox controllers) connected, even if one player is going to use the keyboard. One XInput and one Directinput controller won't work either. 

On 5/7/2018 at 11:16 PM, Blastfrog said:

You're new, but FYI Legacy is, well, legacy software to say the least. And it hasn't aged well.

DoomLegacy is being actively maintained.

On 5/7/2018 at 11:16 PM, Blastfrog said:

Admittedly irrelevant, but I often wonder what the best way to handle 2 player split-screen in wider aspect ratios is. With 4:3, that's narrow enough that you can get a nice and wide 8:3 ratio for both players, but with 16:9, that's just too wide to be aesthetically pleasing. The stretched FOV can be ignored easily enough, but it still irks me on some level. 8:9 doesn't seem like a very nice ratio, unless you compensated with a higher FOV, at which point the view would look too tall for what most people are used to.

Side-by-side starts to become acceptable in 16:9 ratio. Ignoring actual pixel size ratios for a moment, here's the breakdown:

For side-by-side 16:9, assuming 1920x1080, and assuming that you use the standard status bar:

Stretching the 320-wide status bar to (1920/2), or 960, yields a 3x stretch over original ((960/320) = 3), so the 32-tall bar at proper aspect = (32*3), or 96 pixels tall.

This leaves you with a view window of 960/984, or 0.976 to 1, vs. 1.333~ to 1 of the original 4:3 ratio with non-square pixels. In this way, side-by-side gives you the status bar "for free", while still affording a slightly taller view than single player.

In top-bottom rendering, the status bar steals a significant amount of vertical space. Side-by-side has the added benefit that the players can sit to the left and right of the monitor for better spatial separation, vs. focusing on either the top or the bottom. It's actually more ideal to use a widescreen monitor for side-by-side view, than any orientation using a 4:3 monitor. More is more.

I kinda wish the universal widescreen standard had ended up as 2:1, that would be so perfect for split screen in not just Doom but any game.

Since it was originally implemented in the era of 4:3, I thought Legacy did it smart with the new minimalist HUD for top/bottom split screen play. The best solution is to have both varieties of splits available in the options but of course that’s easier said than done!

Have this working with gzdoom and zandronum. Use Universal Split Screen (USS) to do it. Start up 2 instances from 2 different directories (after local server, or connect to other server for zandronum), via zdl or command line to connect. You can use win+tab then use right click ->snap to left/right to place the windows (may need to tinker with resolutions first), then use USS to via alt+tabbing to assign either keyboard or an xinput controller to each window (1, 2 etc...) you can also remove border windows via USS so you get fullscreen. gzdoom 4.2.4 for me is ok with filling up custom window dimensions, zandronum 3.0 (screenshot) I am still playing with... will get black borders. Once each instance has connected  and everything assiged... just click on Start Splitscreen button in USS, it will go to the background and away you go. 

zansplit.png

Edited by BilboHicks

Just got this working using this commandline. (brutal doom mod + hellonearthstarterpack which is 1 of the best WAD's.

Hook up 2 xbox controllers and ready to go play coop!

sszdoom -splitscreen -vsplit -file brutalv21.pk3 -file hellonearthstarterpack.wad

Never got it working with universal splitscreen but with LZDoom you can play fake splitscreen running several instances and using up to 4 gamepads.

1 hour ago, DutchDoomlover said:

Just got this working using this commandline. (brutal doom mod + hellonearthstarterpack which is 1 of the best WAD's.

Nah, its not. Its just the most popular WAD, not the best.

Popularity does not quantify quality.

22 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Nah, its not. Its just the most popular WAD, not the best.

Popularity does not quantify quality.

He just said "one of the best", not "the best".
Why so salty?

1 hour ago, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

He just said "one of the best", not "the best".

Its also not one of the best. Its good, not the best, not one of the best.

1 hour ago, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Why so salty?

Loaded question?

I am not.

2 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Its also not one of the best. Its good, not the best, not one of the best.

Opinions, man.

Loaded question?

I am not.

Because you do sound like you are when you derail a two year-old thread about split-screen sourceports to state it.

19 hours ago, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Opinions, man.

True. But popularity carries BD a lot.

Because you do sound like you are when you derail a two year-old thread about split-screen sourceports to state it.

Merely responding to someone else so how is that a derail? You know, its okay to be less than super amazed by BD. 

Edited by Redneckerz

@Redneckerz I get your point and it's ok! 

strange thing is that using 2 xbox controllers he only uses 1... so the other needs to use keyboard. any of you having the same problem? (would like to use 2 controllers and no keyboard/mouse)

For each player using a controller you have to set the functions of the controllers they're not using to none under sensitivities.   And clear any prexisting joy buttons defined in controls and set them for each controller so you should see joy0_whatever and joy1_whatever appropriately or something like that.

Pretty detailed instructions here in the video description: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi_IHuKX5io

I had some difficulty at first with two controllers of the same type and initially had each player use a different type of gamepad, but more recently got two of same working for different players and now I got a good USB hub so I'll be able to have mouse&keyboard for one while three others use PS2/3 style gamepads.

Make sure you have the latest version of LZDoom to make things easiest.

On 6/29/2020 at 9:15 AM, Redneckerz said:

True. But popularity carries BD a lot.

Merely responding to someone else so how is that a derail? You know, its okay to be less than super amazed by BD. 

just out of curiosity, what would you say is better? Not looking for an argument but if there’s something better I’d like to play it, as I personally find brutal doom to be the best fps of all time, by a wide margin, and I’ve played everything from obscurities like nightmare 3d to modern classics like doom eternal. I’m obviously partial to old school shooters.

if there is a better doom mod than brutal doom I definitely want to play it. Thanks.