Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mewbusi

How could the forces of hell psychologically torment doomguy?

I feel like the avenue of attempting to harm Doomguy, the Doom Marine, or the Doom Slayer via psychological methods isn't really an avenue that Hell has greatly considered. While I haven't played Doom 3 from my understanding the creepy atmosphere that the game cultivates is not created to specifically do this but rather is an expected outcome from the setting and plot of the game itself. Most of the creepy stuff even at that doesn't do a great job scaring the primary protagonist. 

So lets say hell signs you on as a creative consultant to best wage psychological warfare against the Doom series protagonist. What would you suggest? How would you best destroy the stoic unstoppable persona that stands before you to allow Hell's minions to have an easier time fighting him?

The whole concept of what Doom Guy is doing is psychologically harmful.  So at first he's a high octane, egotistical frat boy, (nothing wrong with that.  That is NOT toxic masculinity).  Or a layed back, reserved, and quiet good marine doing his duty.  He sees all his marine buddies dead everywhere, and is the lone survivor of some horrid "accident".  He has to kill former marines, and humans because they are now zombies trying to kill him.  Other unspeakable horrors are trying to kill him, and want to eat his brains.  He has to go to hell, and kill demons.  

All he knows is death, and hell.  One might argue he's living his Heaven.  I could be theological and say he's doing God's work, (which to some extent, he does kill demons, and goes to hell, and has to kill the final demon who caused it all).  Or maybe he's just living in his own Divine Comedy.  All of this is extremely psychological.  You COULD say it's harmful, (like I did), but eventually it becomes a part of you.

19 minutes ago, BBQgiraffe said:

the man literally rips demons in half with his bare hands for fun, I don't think there is much you can do :/

I want answers Johnson, there's got to be something we can do.

14 minutes ago, Malurek said:

The whole concept of what Doom Guy is doing is psychologically harmful.  So at first he's a high octane, egotistical frat boy, (nothing wrong with that.  That is NOT toxic masculinity).  Or a layed back, reserved, and quiet good marine doing his duty.  He sees all his marine buddies dead everywhere, and is the lone survivor of some horrid "accident".  He has to kill former marines, and humans because they are now zombies trying to kill him.  Other unspeakable horrors are trying to kill him, and want to eat his brains.  He has to go to hell, and kill demons.  

All he knows is death, and hell.  One might argue he's living his Heaven.  I could be theological and say he's doing God's work, (which to some extent, he does kill demons, and goes to hell, and has to kill the final demon who caused it all).  Or maybe he's just living in his own Divine Comedy.  All of this is extremely psychological.  You COULD say it's harmful, (like I did), but eventually it becomes a part of you.

Listen, nobody got here in Hell without going all the way. I want to lump on the torment here and break his brain. Saying that he is already being psychologically harmed is like not adding on a couple of tons of baggage to break the camel's overloaded spine because he is only barely hobbling along. Its obvious that fighting him head on doesn't seem to be working. So we need to approach this problem from a different angle.

15 minutes ago, Gez said:

Non-unpegged doortracks, unaligned textures, unreachable sectors accidentally tagged secret, D_RUNNNN on every map.

Listen, we're all sadists here. But wow.

23 minutes ago, Eurisko said:

Show him the DOOM movie.

It could work, but for all we know he might start to like it ironically.

13 minutes ago, Ichor said:

Every map contains 6 keys, all in secret areas. Every wall is like every other STARTAN wall. Enemies stuck in walls or low ceilings. Ceiling transistions into sky with no height difference. Inescapable non-deadly pits. A maze of impassable, but untextured linedefs that don't show up on the map. Fake walls hiding arch-viles and chaingunners that can hit you from across the map. Body parts hanging from the sky. Enough pain elementals and revenants to clog an emu. And every single one of the thousand or so sectors is marked as a secret.

Delightfully devilish Ichor.

However this is just Plutonia but with 25% more more evil. We saw what happened when we last tried that. 

I don't think he can be broken, because he already is. If we are referring to the Slayer in particular we are playing him in his broken state which is rage mode. If anything they should try get his sanity back, have him return to his family and settle. Or trick him into thinking he is back home relaxing.

As for Doomguy I think he is a bit more vulnerable but his will power is so strong that to get him into his breaking point you need to capture and torture which would be pointless as killing him would be the right move.

Make a 30 map megawad composed of big convoluted mazes in the dark only. Sprinkle some crushers in there, a few roaming viles like Plutonia, rotating circular rooms with polyobjs to confuse your navigation and maybe some platforms moving at random tics that would block certain pathways for the ultimate maze experience.

2 hours ago, Mortrixs19 said:

Lock him in a room where are the walls are made of FIREBLU

An admirable, yet rather weak suggestion. We all know he would break out eventually.

1 hour ago, Kore said:

Backtracking over unavoidable damaging sectors.

I believe we already have a department for that.

1 hour ago, Chezza said:

I don't think he can be broken, because he already is. If we are referring to the Slayer in particular we are playing him in his broken state which is rage mode. If anything they should try get his sanity back, have him return to his family and settle. Or trick him into thinking he is back home relaxing.

As for Doomguy I think he is a bit more vulnerable but his will power is so strong that to get him into his breaking point you need to capture and torture which would be pointless as killing him would be the right move.

Ah yes, we could pacify the slayer by regaining his sanity. Excellent idea. So long as he remains content he will no longer have a reason to fight back. Perhaps getting the imps to try and inject him with sedatives as well could help. Isn't exactly tormenting him but could remove him from the equation.

39 minutes ago, Octillion said:

Make a 30 map megawad composed of big convoluted mazes in the dark only. Sprinkle some crushers in there, a few roaming viles like Plutonia, rotating circular rooms with polyobjs to confuse your navigation and maybe some platforms moving at random tics that would block certain pathways for the ultimate maze experience.

Of course we would need to disable the auto map function but it could do wonders to destroy anyone's mental state.

Show him his ancestor as a child, hanging from a noose, face unnaturally pale. Maybe have three more of them for good measure. And then force him to escape by destroying all four corpses.

4 hours ago, Ichor said:

Every map contains 6 keys, all in secret areas. Every wall is like every other STARTAN wall. Enemies stuck in walls or low ceilings. Ceiling transistions into sky with no height difference. Inescapable non-deadly pits. A maze of impassable, but untextured linedefs that don't show up on the map. Fake walls hiding arch-viles and chaingunners that can hit you from across the map. Body parts hanging from the sky. Enough pain elementals and revenants to clog an emu. And every single one of the thousand or so sectors is marked as a secret.

You forgot doors that open up into the sky.

6 hours ago, SiFi270 said:

Show him his ancestor as a child, hanging from a noose, face unnaturally pale. Maybe have three more of them for good measure. And then force him to escape by destroying all four corpses.

I feel like we've done this before...

You should check out the unused voicelines for Doomguy in Quake 3 Revolution.

He's clearly schizophrenic, as he mentions there are voices in his head, seemingly tormenting him over the death of his peers. Killing demons (and fragging noobs) seems to be what keeps him going.

Notable lines:

Spoiler

0:24 "They had cold hands too. Oh, so cold"

0:54 "What? But I never heard it? I thought I would hear it. What's that ringing?"

1:08 "Get me out of here"

2:12 "You were there, on Phobos" (Probably talking to another Doomguy)

3:31 "You let them die. That's why I hate you" (Seemingly talking to himself, possibly when he frags another Doomguy in the Arena)

3:38 "They died, in my arms."

3:40 "He cried, you know. Said, he didn't wanna die. Then he did"

3:52 "You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me"

I honestly find this a really interesting take on giving Doomguy. Clearly an attempt at building a deeper character for him, he even uses some quotes from the Doom comic! Really too bad that the voicelines didn't get used in-game.

3 hours ago, Juza said:

I honestly find this a really interesting take on giving Doomguy. Clearly an attempt at building a deeper character for him, he even uses some quotes from the Doom comic! Really too bad that the voicelines didn't get used in-game

Those are all based on things he says in vanilla Q3's chat when fought as a bot. You can find them in one of the game's .pk3 files, with comments to indicate context.

I don't think trying to wage psychological warfare on Doomguy (not Slayer) is a good idea. The last time, they did something remotely close to this by killing Daisy, it ended up with him going back to hell and pumping rockets into the IoS' brain. At this point, I think trying to psychologically torment him will make him angrier and just cause more destruction to the hellspawn. 

As for trying to sedate Doom Slayer, they tried that. It worked for a while. Then the UAC dug him up again and Hell was screwed.

tl;dr: Trying to torment him psychologically makes him angrier. Would not recommend unless you want to get your shit kicked in.