Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dubbag

Does This Look Weird to You?

Working on the second map of my upcoming 8 map set for next year. For this level, I want a cold brick base with snowy outdoors and this area which I have pictured below.

My question is. Does this look off to you or ok? Does the snow on the top of the pillars ruin in? If it's ugly please tell me. Remember this map is in it's "barebones" stage right now. BTW that's not a water texture, it's computer blue. I will be rounding out the snow on the floor later on if this design choice works out.

Screenshot_Doom_20191127_200147.png

Screenshot_Doom_20191127_200732.png

Edited by Dubbagdarrel

3 hours ago, Super Mighty G said:

I can see what you're going for but yeah the contrast looks kind of weird. 

Yeah absolutely, that's what happens when you try to get fancy when you shouldn't redid it like this now.

Screenshot_Doom_20191127_204238.png

Maybe it's just me but I love bits with snow falling. All you really need is another sector around it that's kind of "squiggly" to make the snowfall look a little more natural:

XfC44X4.jpg

lTSZ9AU.jpg

otherwise I think it looks just fine, personally

3 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Maybe it's just me but I love bits with snow falling. All you really need is another sector around it that's kind of "squiggly" to make the snowfall look a little more natural:

XfC44X4.jpg

lTSZ9AU.jpg

otherwise I think it looks just fine, personally

See, I like that. IDK I'll see if I can work it in some how. Maybe the next map.

the area not covered in snow should be darker, imo.  White and Brown seem like a perfect color match (but everyone does grey and brown actually).  The white lacks definition and so night/dim areas are needed.  The snow looks really cool- but the color is difficult to work with.  Cool concept. Props!

Honestly it's not that bad. I concur there should be different lighting, but the main issue for me is actually that sky. My brain just keeps going "But it doesn't snow when the sky looks like that".

3 hours ago, Mk7_Centipede said:

the area not covered in snow should be darker, imo.  White and Brown seem like a perfect color match (but everyone does grey and brown actually).  The white lacks definition and so night/dim areas are needed.  The snow looks really cool- but the color is difficult to work with.  Cool concept. Props!

3 hours ago, Murdoch said:

Honestly it's not that bad. I concur there should be different lighting, but the main issue for me is actually that sky. My brain just keeps going "But it doesn't snow when the sky looks like that".

3 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

If you're not restricting yourself with engine types, colouring a sector's lighting or use dynamic lights can help.

The thing is, wouldn't the blue design get covered too? I'd have to ditch that.

I wouldn't worry to much about realism like that, sometimes people need to suspend their disbelief. I can't remember who it was, but I remember one guy giving me excellent feedback, but he insisted that floating lights should be ditched because they aren't actually possible. I thought it was kind of funny, I don't mind impossible things so long as they serve a purpose or look cool, which this does.

Do you know how to add a custom sky, btw? Dwango2 has a great bright blue/cloudy sky, really there's a ton of cold looking skies out there you could use. like Murdoch said I can't help but associate that brown sky with non-snowy maps.

Maybe change the upper texture that is currently metal to the same as the snow floor texture or if you have a metal+snow option? The bigbrik1 also might benefit from some snow texture overlay.

Follow Doomkid's suggestion, but also add some "thickness" to the snow by making the sector 2 or 3 units higher. Get the blue sectors to be higher to match that of course. That would be a great touch to the snow area. 

Look at this lava I made for a map of mine so you understand what I mean (sorta).

image.png.8dcd9b30f26492705e3000af88916520.png

3 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I wouldn't worry to much about realism like that, sometimes people need to suspend their disbelief. I can't remember who it was, but I remember one guy giving me excellent feedback, but he insisted that floating lights should be ditched because they aren't actually possible. I thought it was kind of funny, I don't mind impossible things so long as they serve a purpose or look cool, which this does.

Do you know how to add a custom sky, btw? Dwango2 has a great bright blue/cloudy sky, really there's a ton of cold looking skies out there you could use. like Murdoch said I can't help but associate that brown sky with non-snowy maps.

I do not actually. Can you tell me how? Slade 3? This is the sky I want to use. I used to know how to do it in XWE but that was the old days.

F_SKY1.png

Edited by Dubbagdarrel

Simply import that into your wad using Slade and rename it to RSKY1. Also make sure the image is converted to Doom image format after you import it (right clicking it is all you have to do). That should work!

11 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Simply import that into your wad using Slade and rename it to RSKY1. Also make sure the image is converted to Doom image format after you import it (right clicking it is all you have to do). That should work!

Did it! Thank you sooo much! We have this now!

Screenshot_Doom_20191128_130617.png

12 hours ago, Dubbagdarrel said:

I do not actually. Can you tell me how? Slade 3? This is the sky I want to use. I used to know how to do it in XWE but that was the old days.

F_SKY1.png

8 hours ago, Doomkid said:

You can also define the sky texture in MAPINFO.

5 hours ago, Dubbagdarrel said:

Did it! Thank you sooo much! We have this now!

\

That is more like it.