Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mortrixs19

Alternatives to Yamagi Quake 2?

Followning up with what Graf said, some general alternatives:

https://quake.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Quake_II_source_ports

A look up on Doomworld itself also yields a quick topic from 2014:

And there is also FTE: http://fte.triptohell.info/

Though Yamagi Quake 2 is the cleanest port out there, comparable in nature to Ioquake3 today Thus we return to Graf's comment as i too would want to know. What exactly are you looking for?

The reason I'm looking for an alternative is that for some reason Yamagi Quake 2 refuses to switch to the OpenGL renderer both 3.2 and 1.4 and it only runs with software. This never happened to me before with the steam executable, so I'm just looking for an alternative port to use. 

9 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

Define "good". It's hard to give advice unless we know what you are looking for.

By good, I mean something that runs without problems in Windows 10 and runs quake 2 and it's mods/map packs that's all I need. Of course, without this weird issue with OpenGL that happens with Yamagi Q2

You could try Q2Pro.  It has some nice features to enable like cel shading and a server browser.  Q2 looks surprisingly good with cel shading.  The only drawback is it doesn't play any of the SP movies.

My preferred way of playing Quake 2 is actually with the original EXE, but patched up to 3.24. This can play the soundtrack in OGG format.

Otherwise, Quake 2 Berserker is the only port that runs on my system, and it looks pretty good. Better than Quake 2 RTX if you ask me. It also plays the soundtrack.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/berserkerquake2

18 hours ago, Mortrixs19 said:

The reason I'm looking for an alternative is that for some reason Yamagi Quake 2 refuses to switch to the OpenGL renderer both 3.2 and 1.4 and it only runs with software. This never happened to me before with the steam executable, so I'm just looking for an alternative port to use. 

Then it seems more appropiate to ask what your setup is if both OpenGL 3.2 and 1.4 bork out and you run in software. So what is your setup, and what drivers do you use?

18 hours ago, Mortrixs19 said:

By good, I mean something that runs without problems in Windows 10 and runs quake 2 and it's mods/map packs that's all I need. Of course, without this weird issue with OpenGL that happens with Yamagi Q2

Well that would be Yamagi Q2 still :P It is a very stable port, so this bug either has to be user specific or something new. Hence why ive asked the question above :)