Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CBM

Classic Doom addiction

Hmm. Wh-what? I- How did I get here? What is this? I-Is this some kind of sick joke? Where am I? Let me think... think! I started playing DOOM almost 10 years ago. It's fucking amazing. I loved it. And I was a young kid. Ugh, what happened? Was I... Was I brainwashed? Addicted? Fond of it? Dependent on it?! Oh my god... 

Spoiler

All jokes aside, I'm not addicted to it, per se. It's just the only game I can make maps for. So obviously I'm more incentive to keep on playing DOOM, if I wasn't going to anyway. It's just my favourite game series, just a little side note. :)

Plus deathmatch is soo Much more fun in doom Than other fps games

Yeah, I feel the same. It's my special interest. There's something about the engine and the game design which is so simplistic and yet so fun. It's that combination that keeps us coming back, I think.

On 11/28/2019 at 2:47 AM, Dubbagdarrel said:

Bro ill live and die with my Doombuilder 2. Been using it since I was a kid.

Until 2017 I was using Doom Builder 1! I urge you to make the switch (at some point at least, lol) to GZDB or DBX. The amount of time I was wasting on things that are automated made my head spin, they’re way easier once you make the transition. Just some friendly advice!

I haven't played Doom for a while now. But, I am feeling the urge to get back into it again. Especially with my map. I haven't worked on it for a few months and I'm ready to get back on again.

Like many others, Doom is one of those games I can get back into every year!

13 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Until 2017 I was using Doom Builder 1! I urge you to make the switch (at some point at least, lol) to GZDB or DBX. The amount of time I was wasting on things that are automated made my head spin, they’re way easier once you make the transition. Just some friendly advice!

exactly, I was blow away at how much nicer GZDoom Builder is compared to Doom Builder. I have yet to try DBX... Do you have a link?

I am a Doom addict, but it's not just Doom, I love pretty much any old school FPS games from the 90s, but Doom is the series I keep coming back to.

I am a total OCD nerd and because of that I am obsessed with anything related to Doom. I even have the 4 Doom novels but it's the Doom 3 era logo on the covers and I am looking to obtain the other editions as the Doom text is the classic logo from the original game.

I have all the games on PC and because PlayStation Doom was my first real experience of Doom I have both the original large case and the platinum re-release.

I also have Doom 64 but it's just the cart only. I even have PSX Doom on my PSP as well as the PC port and I even have Doom on DS!

I have all the games in their PC big box editions too except for the shareware release of Doom which is pretty expensive now on sites like eBay. I even have the id Anthology which is not easy or cheap to come by.

The reason I love Doom so much is mostly for it's simplicity, and by that I don't mean the actual games are for simple minded people, I mean because Doom doesn't have mouse look, and even though you can enable it in source ports I never do myself, I only use the keyboard and a lot of the time I play Doom in bed on my laptop.

I use a slight variation of the classic controls: W & S for moving forwards and backwards and A & D for strafing left and right, then I have the arrow keys set to down for fire, up to open doors and activate switches and then shift for speed and tab for the map. I just love how the controls feel and it's never a hassle to play the game due to the simplicity of the controls.

I love all the games in the Doom series, even TNT, in fact, the first 5-6 maps of TNT are some of my favourite Doom levels ever. To this day though I have never really tried to play Plutonia as I just hate the first level and it just puts me off the rest of the maps.

It's amazing how many people still love to play these games and the fact that people are still working on maps and modifications is testament to just how legendary the series is.