Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ChicagoTrash

What is your Doom canon?

On 8/4/2015 at 12:58 AM, fraggle said:

Actually, Linguica's characterization of the Doom II story isn't quite right. Here's how it begins:

Back at last. After days of hard fighting in space, you've
returned home on well-earned leave. You're one of Earth's
crack soldiers, hard-bitten, tough, and heavily-armed. When
the alien invasion struck Mars, you were the first on the
scene. By killing, killing, and killing, you won. You
stopped the invasion, saved Mars base, and became a war
hero. What they don't talk about so much is that you were
the only survivor.

So it doesn't actually state that you're the same marine from Doom 1. You travel back by spaceship, sure, but you're a veteran of fighting on Mars, not the Mars moons. A simple explanation is that you're just a different marine, and there is a whole unseen episode set in parallel with the Doom 1 storyline where Doom2Guy fights demons on Mars.

An even crazier idea: Doom 3 is that episode.

Meanwhile, there's the matter of Episode 4, which somehow follows on from the end of Episode 3.

It's not clear where exactly Episode 4 is even happening. It says "next stop, hell on earth!" implying that you weren't previously fighting on Earth. But "someone was gonna pay for what happened to daisy, your pet rabbit" implies that Doom1Guy has gone on a rampage after his discovery at the end of Episode 3. But Episode 3 sees you step out of a portal onto the fields of Earth.

So the only seemingly logical explanation seems to be that:

1. Doom1Guy defeats the Spider Mastermind, steps through the hidden doorway and "emerges from the door to see the green fields of Earth!"
2. Doom1Guy sees a rabbit head on a spike that is somehow "Daisy, his pet rabbit". (Was she left behind on Earth by Doom1Guy and coincidentally killed by the demons when they emerged? Or did the demons abduct Daisy from the Phobos base, as some kind of vindictive "fuck you" to Doom1Guy after he defeats their master? That's a whole other discussion.)
3. Doom1Guy flips out in some kind of psychotic rage and travels back into hell to take revenge on the demons, because apparently he's just that much of a badass and enjoyed being in hell so much that he goes back for more?
4. Having defeated the second spider mastermind he reemerges out of the same portal again (was he carrying the rabbit head the whole time?)
5. "Next stop, hell on earth!" - Doom1Guy is now in the same position Doom2Guy finds himself in at the start of Doom II, but he's off fighting his own battles that we've never seen.

Loving some of these explanations, but I personally never much cared to try to stitch everything into a single continuity. As far as I see it, there are a bunch of separate Doom continuities which are mostly reboots/reimaginings of each other:

Prime universe: Doom 1 and 2 (with Thy Flesh Consumed as a sort of semi-canonical side story)

64 Universe: a non canonical continuation of the Prime universe: it's like the Marvel TV shows are to the MCU: They reference stuff that happens in the "main" universe, but the references will only ever be one way.

Doom 3 universe: Just Doom 3 - it's a reboot of the first game, basically.

2016 universe: Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal - I feel like the multiversal ancient Doomguy stuff is mostly just to make the fans smile rather than a serious suggestion that Doomslayer is literally the same guy as in Doom 1993.

Doom RPG universe: I haven't actually played these, so can't comment.

The Rock/Karl Urban Movie universe: Just the one woeful film, thankfully.

Second Movie universe: Just the upcoming, hopefully not but probably woeful new film.

Book universe: The mad novels.

Comic universe: Just like the prime universe, except Doomguy is dizzyingly insane.

Have I missed any?

Also, does it make everything more complicated when you consider that, depending on who you ask, Wolfenstein and Commander Keen also exist(ed) in the Doom universe?

Edit: just realised I've had this tab open a while and other folks have mentioned a lot of the same stuff since I last refreshed it.

Edited by Nootrac4571

Everything starts on DooM 1, Doomguy is a normal UAC Marine like everyone else, then oh damn portals to Hell are magically created by evil Scientists who are in reality Cthulhu servants, yes, Cthulhu Servants in a Mars base, wow.

Doomguy is like "damn wth is going on" so he goes with other Marines to Phobos base, then boom everything explodes, everybody dies and Doomguy is forced to fight even though he has a bad as hell pistol which can't even one-hit a flying skull on fire.

Ok so Doomguy fights his way but then a nuclear explosion happens because a neighbor spaceship decided to detonate entire Phobos base, boom boom.

But then magically Doomguy revives, but this is not the one we know, no no, it's Nyarlathotep taking the poor Marine as a vessel to bring destruction upon his Nemesis, Hell itself.

So in entire DooM 1 we take control of an Lovecraftian outer god who still has a bad as hell pistol which can't one-hit a flying skull on fire.

Boom every time he dies in reality the time and space itself is reset and he takes control of a different timeline in where he dies hundreds and hundreds of time but somehow returns back because he's a DAMN GOD, HE'S ONE DAMN GOD FROM THE OUTER SPACE.

ok so

so

We are back to DooM 2, Nyarlathotep thought his revenge was over so he left Doomguy's corpse and as a thanks for his inconscious help he revives him.

Doomguy gets magically expert at using weapon but guess what? NO NO NO HE STILL HAS A HORRIBLE PISTOL AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH.

Well uh stuff happens and he has to fight a giant mechanical goat demon who shoots missiles out of an cybernetic arm, then he fights Azathoth itself in his dreams I guess, yeah, that's it.

Uh then he fights a giant goat-skull in a wall, who is in reality J O H N  R O M E R O.

J O H N  R O M E R O IS GOD ITSELF CONFIRMED.

Ok well uh

Doom 3 happens, the game which was cool in horror but even though, not many people may remember that much.

ok so let's ignore it because it doesn't count in a way.

Doom 2016 happens and now Nyarlathotep notices humans are idiots who work at maid cafes, watch anime (not bad tho I see it too ok), play Fortnite 24/7 and does memes on internet forums, but not only that, BUT OH GOD THEY MADE HELL REAL AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH.
OK

OK.

So he takes control of Doomguy's sacrophagus and then destroys everything with Epic Metal music on the background.

end

idk

P.S: Goblin Slayer is medieval Doomguy

pls don't take this seriously.

I just want to say that no matter how much other stuff there is to sort out, E1 ends with you dying and going to hell but in a corporeal form on account of the fact that hell is engulfing your surroundings (Mars’ moons). Before someone says “but the sector ends the level at 10% health” that’s just technical implementation that in 93 no one expected would be dissected and analyzed 25 years later, the story telling intention was clear.

If I remember correctly, this is one of the most controversial Doom opinions, one’s stance on this part of the “story”, and I’ve been fighting this fight for a long time :D

I haven't read up on much of the lore for any of the games lately, but...

I've always interpreted (Ultimate) Doom, Doom II, Doom 64, and Final Doom to all be in the same universe and the same doomguy. I guess I've never really thought about my interpretation of E1's ending, but never really thought of Doomguy as "dead". What I have thought about is how Thy Flesh Consumed fits into the story. Doomguy is back on Earth at the end of Inferno, but thought Entryway was supposed to be his first mission on earth and took place in the building behind doomguy. I decided to interpret that Thy Flesh Consumed takes place on Earth, but only in the building near the portal, and that Doom II takes place as Doomguy leaves the buidling. I think there's some contradiction, in whatever way you interpret E4 in the story, but the story is a pretty minor part of Doom anyways.

I remember reading some topics a while back about how Doom 3 and Doom (2016)'s lore fit together; so I think of them as being part of the same universe/canon, but that doomguy from Doom 3 is not the Doomslayer from Doom (2016).

1 hour ago, dpstatic said:

I haven't read up on much of the lore for any of the games lately, but...

I've always interpreted (Ultimate) Doom, Doom II, Doom 64, and Final Doom to all be in the same universe and the same doomguy.

I remember reading some topics a while back about how Doom 3 and Doom (2016)'s lore fit together; so I think of them as being part of the same universe/canon, but that doomguy from Doom 3 is not the Doomslayer from Doom (2016).

Yes, Doom 1, 2, 64 and Final all take place in the same universe and include the same DoomGuy (actually not so sure about TNT) that is confirmed by manual stories.

It's likely that Doom 3 and Doom 2016 are in the same universe, just not at the same time. Same with the rest of the games.

9 hours ago, -TDRR- said:

Yes, Doom 1, 2, 64 and Final all take place in the same universe and include the same DoomGuy (actually not so sure about TNT) that is confirmed by manual stories.

It's likely that Doom 3 and Doom 2016 are in the same universe, just not at the same time. Same with the rest of the games.

Actually, the Doom 2 manual states that the marine fought on the Mars base(not Phobos or Deimos) and escaped in a dropship(Not by using a portal)

4 hours ago, ChicagoTrash said:

Actually, the Doom 2 manual states that the marine fought on the Mars base(not Phobos or Deimos) and escaped in a dropship(Not by using a portal)

I only read Doom 64 and Plutonia's manual so i just assumed Doom 1 and 2 agreed with each other. However, Doom 2's manual story may not be true, as we all know Doomguy ended up in D2 via a portal as stated by the end text, it's possible that the Doom 2 manual story is just an afterthought. Or, y'know, maybe the writer forgot about Doom 1's ending.

5 hours ago, -TDRR- said:

I only read Doom 64 and Plutonia's manual so i just assumed Doom 1 and 2 agreed with each other. However, Doom 2's manual story may not be true, as we all know Doomguy ended up in D2 via a portal as stated by the end text, it's possible that the Doom 2 manual story is just an afterthought. Or, y'know, maybe the writer forgot about Doom 1's ending.

That's why I have my theory of 2 doomguys. One we control through Doom 1 and Doom 64. The other we control through Doom 2 and Thy Flesh Consumed.

Wolfenstein 3d

The Ultimate Doom

Doom 2: Hell on Earth + No Rest for the Living

Final Doom

and maybe Doom 64

Edited by doom guy66

Main series chronologically.

• Doom 3
  • Doom 1
  • Doom 2 + No Rest for The Living
  • TNT + Plutonia
  • Resurrection of Evil

The marine in Doom 3 is different from the one in the rest of the games.

It all starts in Doom 3 (the first contact with hell dimension).

Doom 1 starts while Doom 3 is still going and ends some time after Doom 3. It is still not known how the invasion affected the bases on the moons of Mars when Doom 3 marine gets rescued. Only that they went dark and haven't been heard from since.

After he saves Earth and defeats the Cyberdemon general in NRFTL the marine is called upon yet again for "clean up" jobs in TNT and Plutonia.

Hell is finally defeated.

After the situation settles down, UAC decides to send a team back to Mars, 2 years after Doom 3. ROE happens with completely new protagonist.

This is where my canon ends.

One important thing of note is the first Doom book. It does a really good job of describing some of the locations found in the game and could be interpreted as a co-op playthrough of Doom 1.

I consider the rest as (a) different universe(s).

As I have said before

Ultimate Doom (Sigil optional) -> Doom II + NRFTL and Master Levels -> TNT Evilution -> Plutonia Experiment -> Doom 64

Doomguy trapped in Hell eventually, becomes Doomslayer.

In a different universe linked to the original one through Hell, Doom 3 happens and the sarcophagus is found. Much later, Doom 2016 + Doom VFR happen in the Doom 3 universe, followed by Doom Eternal.

There are minor inconsistencies but it makes enough sense to me.

Doomguy is the protagonist of Ultimate Doom, Sigil, Doom II, NRFTL, Master Levels, TNT, Plutonia, Doom 64, Doom 2016, and Eternal

Doom 3, Resurrection of Evil, The Lost Mission, and VFR all feature entirely different protagonists

I think Doomguy (1 ,2, tnt, plutonia, 64), Doomarine (3) and doomslayer (2016, eternal) are 3 different individuals from 3 different universes, even the canonical reason doomguy, marine and slayer are on mars (or Phobos or Deimos) are different

On 9/16/2019 at 7:48 PM, ChicagoTrash said:

Why did this thread get resurrected?

maybe because me

Edited by uwwaves

Since my first experience with DooM was on the PlayStation, I have my own canon for the games even tho the pc version came out earlier and is ofc the undisputed original. Those originals are simply referred to as the foundation, blueprints or as "the classic set". 

The classics are considered  the full set of Ultimate Doom, DooM2, Master Levels and Final Doom.

Instead of 1 there are 2 seperate canons for me wich throughout the game's decades long history also inevitibaly influence or complement eachother, one is the personal one where the doomguy's journey starts as a dark and brooding one with the PSX DooM, followed by Psx FinalDoom and Doom64. Doom 3 is then considered the sequel of those games instead of the originals.  This story/canon ends in 2012 with the 2nd and last official expansion released for D3 called Lost Mission.

2012 was considered the year where the world would come to an end as a consequence of the Maya calender ending. Conspiracy theories and Doomsday "preachers"  had a field day and managed to scam and capitalize on quite a few lost and confused souls.  

The 'other' canon begins with the originals and continues to this day with renowned wads that have stood the test of time. That's right, that means that wads such as Alien Vendetta, NeoDoom, Ancient Aliens, Sunlust, Plutonia 2 and Avactor among others are all considered canon, and since Linguica shared a few months ago that a federal court in the 90's ruled  wads being potentially illegal because being derivative works of the original and thus considered as continued stories of the originals, this only helps to reinforce it.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Edited by OniriA

My headcanon is that the UAC is the shitty off-brand aerospace corporation in Doom's universe, which is why they build bases with stone bricks, don't place glass on their windows and don't update their computer panels (Tei Tenga being shown on some computers). They couldn't even get basic teleportation right.

I think there are 4 doomguys.

Doomguy1 is DOOM>DOOM64>DOOM2016

Doomguy2 is DOOM2>FINAL DOOM

Doomguy3 and 4 are DOOM3 and ROE

Basically, the Doom Slayer is ALL the Doom Marines.

That's all the canon you need. The Doom Slayer has always been the Doom Marine, but the various Doom Marines aren't the Doom Slayer. And now at the end of time, the Doom Slayer finally shows himself.

How I see it at this point.

Doom , Doom II , Final Doom and Doom 64 are one reality.

Doom 3 is another reality.

The guy from DOOM (2016) is the culmination of what the Doom Marine became not just from the previous games but multiple universes and realities where this battle against hell took place and after his ordeals from his respective realities. After what these men endured and put their bodies through - teleportation , paranormal external forces and effects, it changed them, it cursed them, they became what Hell was afraid of:

A life-force forged from all the other Doom Marines ,A bad-ass, cross dimentional Pandora's box of merciless demon murder and bludgery. He's the stopgap , the bottleneck , The 'ETERNAL' DOOM Slayer.

Feel free to read this in a dark room with friends or in front of a mirror with a torch under your chin. ;)

Edited by Eurisko

basically doom 1,2, 64, 16, and eternal doomguy is the same guy but the doom marine is a diffirent doomguy