Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dubbag

Am I the only one that doesn't like crushers?

In all my years of mapping, the only use I have ever had for a crusher is an automatic voodoo doll killer for like hole or something. I understand that people like to use them or may like them in maps, to each their own, but I've never found them to be anything other than a blatant fuck you to the player. And killing monsters with it, for get about it, I don't have all day.

IDK, like I do see the good sides of them and I guess I could agree that if used well they could be alright. But I just find that it's rare that I have any use for them. Maybe it's just me. It won't ruin a map for me or anything but it just like "aw man! dammit" lol perhaps I should have stated the question differently. "What are good uses for crushers?"

3 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

I disagree.

Crushers, if used well, are fun to play with, and they're a great tool to spare players the effort of grinding down meat (because you can just crush it, and players can move on).

10 minutes ago, Dubbagdarrel said:

"What are good uses for crushers?"

Can think of these:

- To crush turrets of high HP, or any health situation, that have a temporary role and are no longer relevant to the context. In the case of cyberdemons and spiderdemons, the key is to use two or more sectors to multiply the damage per second. 

- To fuck with the player in unexpected ways. They tend to come as a shock, sure, but that's the point. Silly random crushers on important items can be hilarious. As with everything, there're exceptions, e.g. series of low-heighted crushers that you have to time your run, generally the wait is tedious imo.

- In puzzles where a wrong move can crush your clone.

- For technical purposes, for example I've been taught crushers are great to activate boom conveyor belts, and it's true. 

- You can also set crushers in monster closets in case you want to stop monsters to replenish an empty spot by killing them. Ancient Aliens map 03 does it. I did something similar in a map to stop nazi soldiers.

- For atmosphere, ambiance, detailing, etc.

- To detonate barrels, which come in handy to setup lethal traps or surely some other use like to hold a sector (e.g. door) til it can fully lower to the next adjacent floor, Kama Sutra has a few, NEIS has one in specific.

- Combine some of the above and they become a valid enemy who can multitask like archviles do or even more (:

I don't use them, not because I hate them, but because I forget they are in the game.

Sure they can be used in clever ways, I just didn't find myself a good way to used them.

Crushers are great because they can be simultaneously a hindrance and a help.

Crushers are fun. They can create both temporary movement restrictions as well as a pseudo damaging floor which you can avoid. I prefer the fast variety most of the time due to their non-lethal nature. Getting clipped by a slow crusher from a low ceiling in an otherwise easy map is never fun. i.e. e2m4, e4m7

They are only bad if the mapper has very little imagination in using them. There are many ways to make them fun and interesting.

Of course, getting caught by a crushing floor and surviving is never fun, since there's no way out of there (also E2M4).

1 hour ago, RonnieJamesDiner said:

I never thought about this... intriguing. Thank you.

I remember now I used crushers for exploding barrels, which in turn killed imps and then the corpses teleported in front of the player to create suspense in the final maps of my favillesco alpha episodes.

Well I think this opinion is garbage and should be crushed with maximum prejudice.

In seriousness, if used correctly, crushers can be a fun and challenging obstacle. Just like damaging floors and certain enemy types.

jesus, wasn't trying to drop a bomb on everyone, just asking a question lol. sorry to stir everyone up so much

8 minutes ago, Dubbagdarrel said:

jesus, wasn't trying to drop a bomb on everyone, just asking a question lol. sorry to stir everyone up so much

Too late for regrets, enjoy the show while it lasts ;)

3 hours ago, Misty said:

Too late for regrets, enjoy the show while it lasts ;)

lol guess so. Gotta take my beating! lol

16 minutes ago, Dubbagdarrel said:

Can't be crushing peoples feelings like that. 

3 hours ago, RonnieJamesDiner said:

Can't be crushing peoples feelings like that. 

yeah i know, hopefully I can "lift" them back up again.... I'll see myself out now lol

I used crushers in Cacophony to push some cacodemons off of a tiny pillar, but not kill them. Then the pillar would lower. This had the result of keeping the cacodemons way up in the air, and when the player walked in, they would float in through a skylight in the middle of the room. It was a nifty vanilla effect that can really startle unsuspecting players.

3 hours ago, Ichor said:

I used crushers in Cacophony to push some cacodemons off of a tiny pillar, but not kill them. Then the pillar would lower. This had the result of keeping the cacodemons way up in the air, and when the player walked in, they would float in through a skylight in the middle of the room. It was a nifty vanilla effect that can really startle unsuspecting players.

oh no shit, that's actually pretty clever! So you put cacodemons on a pillar outside and used a fast damage crusher? they were set to deaf then the crusher awoke them when it hit them? I actually never though of that.

You’ve got one friend in the “fuck most crushers” camp over here. Map06 of Doom2 is an example of a crusher done right. It’s so satisfying seeing that spider get crushed, as long as you soften him up with some SSG.

Most crushers I come across are total bullshit though. “Oh, you’re walking down a hall that looks as normal and inconspicuous as any other? Ha jokes you’re crushed now for no reason gg enjoy going back to the start of the map with just the pistol”

Not super common, but on the rare occasion that happens to me.. Instant F minus!... and don’t even get me started on crushers in Deathmatch maps!!

Overall though, I have seen some used to great effect and as mentioned, the crusher on Map06 is simply iconic, so I certainly can’t say I hate them or want them gone.