Find results in...
Dubbag

New Map I've completed "Shiver Hollow"

3 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Those screenshots are killer! /me downloads

Thank you! Hope you like it!

Those screenshots are killer! /me downloads

btw thank you for teaching me how to import a new sky in Slade 3 for this!

No problem at all. I'm got a few things left to work on today but tomorrow I intend to record a playthrough of shiver.wad, just peeking the screens made me keen to give it a spin.

No problem at all. I'm got a few things left to work on today but tomorrow I intend to record a playthrough of shiver.wad, just peeking the screens made me keen to give it a spin.

appreciate it man, looking forwards to it!

That is looking really nice! I wanted to download and put it in my backlog folder, but I just got an error message. ;/

We could not locate the item you are trying to view.

Error code: 2S328/1

^ I had that issue as well, but then noticed that there's a second download link at the very end of the original post - that one seems to work.

3 hours ago, Summer Deep said:

^ I had that issue as well, but then noticed that there's a second download link at the very end of the original post - that one seems to work.

3 hours ago, elend said:

That is looking really nice! I wanted to download and put it in my backlog folder, but I just got an error message. ;/

fixed guys sorry about that!

Just played the map on UV difficulty. Took 38 minutes, died 3 times, twice to the spectral dark warriors (those are lethal if you don't spot them immediately and take them out) and once to the Hexen-style floating bishop things (underestimated them, you need to make sure you collect all the plasma cells in the area in which they spawn). The final boss wasn't too bad at all though, quite easy to take cover behind those wide pillars.

I thought you could have made things a bit trickier for the player by allowing the monsters outside the first door into the entrance room at the start (seemed to be restrained by blocking lines). Then again, holding back the blue armour until one is well inside that hazardous wooded area redresses the balance considerably.

All in all, this was a fun and challenging experience!

3 hours ago, Summer Deep said:

Just played the map on UV difficulty. Took 38 minutes, died 3 times, twice to the spectral dark warriors (those are lethal if you don't spot them immediately and take them out) and once to the Hexen-style floating bishop things (underestimated them, you need to make sure you collect all the plasma cells in the area in which they spawn). The final boss wasn't too bad at all though, quite easy to take cover behind those wide pillars.

I thought you could have made things a bit trickier for the player by allowing the monsters outside the first door into the entrance room at the start (seemed to be restrained by blocking lines). Then again, holding back the blue armour until one is well inside that hazardous wooded area redresses the balance considerably.

All in all, this was a fun and challenging experience!

Thank you so much playing I'm glad you liked it!

Things went pretty well until reaching the snowfield. There's so many trees cluttering the area it really inhibits movement. I was killed multiple time by the shadow imps as they do immense damage and their attack animation is so hard to notice with all the trees it took me several deaths to even realize what was happening. Those are the only glaring issues I encountered. Anything else is minor. Snow effects look really smooth btw. 

Something to note also is since you're using ZDoom you don't need to use tricks to ensure the player doesn't wait out an encounter. You can assign actions to happen when a monster dies if you want. 

Please excuse the annoying "Active" sound of the boss being heard through out the entire map. IDK why the creator of the monster thought that would be a good idea but I know it's irritating. I didn't realize it until I uploaded it probably because I listen to music and turn the sounds of when I map and test.

Played your map, it was pretty good. 
Really liked the mix of indoor and outdoor areas, overall the visuals and level design was very nice

Biggest problem is the snowfield with those shadowy imp things. Talk about worst possible way to introduce a new enemy to the player

Can't see anything, constantly getting stuck to trees and you're expecting the player to figure out the attack of this new enemy.

When i finally figured out what was happening it was the end of that area and you never see those enemies again.

I would recommend reducing the amount of junk in that area and if you really want to use a custom enemy i think there is a black imp variant that would be much better option there. 

Other than that there was nothing really "bad" , of course there is the cacodemon pit that is a bit weird and glass not blocking enemy projectiles etc. but those are way smaller things. 

Here is my gameplay video, i have been away from doom for over a month so i may be a bit rusty

3 hours ago, Matias said:

Played your map, it was pretty good. 
Really liked the mix of indoor and outdoor areas, overall the visuals and level design was very nice

Biggest problem is the snowfield with those shadowy imp things. Talk about worst possible way to introduce a new enemy to the player

Can't see anything, constantly getting stuck to trees and you're expecting the player to figure out the attack of this new enemy.

When i finally figured out what was happening it was the end of that area and you never see those enemies again.

I would recommend reducing the amount of junk in that area and if you really want to use a custom enemy i think there is a black imp variant that would be much better option there. 

Other than that there was nothing really "bad" , of course there is the cacodemon pit that is a bit weird and glass not blocking enemy projectiles etc. but those are way smaller things. 

Here is my gameplay video, i have been away from doom for over a month so i may be a bit rusty

Thank you very much! I made alot of bad choices with monsters when making this WAD I think. I started this map for an 8 map set I was going to make, but I just don't have the attention span for that and I'd end up burned out, so I know it wouldn't come out that great. What ended up happening is that this WAD just turned into another one off where I kinda got out of hand with certain things like obstacle placement and that stupid voice through out the map. Honestly, I'm really glad you said you liked it and that you enjoyed it. I've made worse, but as far as I'm considered, in my opinion this map is a dud. But if people like it I'm still happy about it. Thank you for playing and giving me your feedback. btw idk why those cacodemons won't come out of the hole. I couldn't get them to in the editing process.

@ Matias

Thought you did pretty well in that playthrough, but needed to move around a bit more in the boss battle. His reactions aren't the sharpest, and you can almost circle strafe him. Here's a couple of my efforts at the final section - I played pretty poorly in the first attempt, and really deserved to die....I seem to be playing without the backpack here, which is strange, as I noticed in your playthrough that it's not in a secret area and is openly available.

By the way, I loved the way you nipped off for a coffee before taking on the Cacos - I didn't notice any Starbucks branches in the map!