Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Ray Mohawk's Manic Monday - Ray Mohawk 1 [Now on idgames!]

Definitely gonna check this out! LOVE the music choices!

Just played it all in one sitting in GZDoom. Awesome episode! Really fun, with lots of armour to protect against the weak opposition you get to gleefully mow through on UV ("Something to Prove", IIRC). The fun music choices, bright and cheery atmosphere and fast-paced, fun game play make this a perfect example of how I like my Doom. The end of MAP05 got a bit rough, but I could handle it, and then MAP06 was genuinely challenging and proved an explosive finale with a fun final moment. Great work Doomkid!

Thanks a ton for the review and feedback, Phobus. Reviews like this are one of my favorite parts of mapping - reading each players experience with the wad after the mapping process itself is complete. Cheers man!

Just finished it! Dude I loved it! You had me immediately sold with the "Morbid Angel" poster! DEATHMETAL FORVER BRO!! So laid back and fun to play. I got to a point where I looked at my monster kills and didn't even realize how many I killed cause I was so relaxed while playing. I really like the "no recoil rifle" I'm glad that the knife isnt weak as well it actually very useful, I thought it might be when looking at the screen shots. Your level design is perfect. Things are very well balanced and I like the custom monsters you added as well, not to overpowered and not too weak. Music choice is great! Nothing better than mowing down the devil's army while "Down on the Corner" or "China Grove" is playing and putting in Rod Stewart was good laugh!All in all Doomkid, very very fulfilling and fun mod. Good job friend! SOLID! BTW you're a Zappa fan? Do you like Captain Beefheart? "Fast and Bulbous!"

Edited by Dubbagdarrel

Thanks a ton for the feedback, I really do appreciate it. Big time Zappa fan and a fan of Beefheart too! I’m glad you liked the music selection. I was this close to putting a Zappa MIDI in there, but I didn’t want to ditch any of the existing songs. Thanks again for the comments!

8 hours ago, Linguica said:

Baking crossfades into an animated GIF hurts me deeply.

lol I can’t help but ask why, just the unnecessary file size bloat or is there something else? I’ve done it for a few of my releases now, just having the static images scroll through seemed a bit too boring visually. Maybe I’ll just do a classic spread of screenshots next time, they’re easier to take in that way after all.

I swear I responded to this post. I might be losing my marbles..

Most of my SP stuff and even some of my deathmatch stuff features numerous references to one another :) The only wads I’ve made that are explicitly not part of the same world are The Devilz Work and Revenge of the 90’s. In all my other releases I made sure that the stories could feasibly stick together, even as basic and silly as they are!

I like how you seem to have maintained a very similar visual aesthetic between this and the Rowdy Rudy stuff!

Will definitely be playing through this, not likely until the weekend though!

Found a few hud-face bugs(not critical,but still a little annoying)

-STFEVIL0 is same as STFEVIL1(have bloody nose)

-STFST12 have black pixel on eyebrow(just compare it to original face to notice that)

Good stuff as usual Doomkid, definitely had fun blasting through these. I like how free-flowing the combat is and you can go pretty much all out in the earlier maps. Dangers mount up in the second half of the set but there is still a lot of room for aggression. Health and armor are in abundance but I did find pretty much all secrets. The Rev that is inside the secret in map04 does not wake up until you shoot him directly, even when the secret is open; perhaps not intended?

A customary offering of FDAs in the attachment, recorded with glboom+.

FDA_mohawk.zip

D1m3, thanks for pointing out those HUD issues, I’ll get them fixed up once I’m back at my computer.

Veinen, thanks for recording demos for me! That rev is indeed meant to wake up once the secret is open. Glad you pointed it out, I somehow didn’t notice while testing.

The thing that would make this perfect would be some goofy tropical holiday theming for the monsters, like in Duke Caribbeans. Sunglasses, flower necklaces, swimming trunks, and other such silliness.

ApOWgzx.jpg

Finished, that was fun. I liked how one-time monster teleports were used to make door-camping more entertaining, it's a cool trick.

Also liked how noping out of the boss fight room gives you an invuln.

A solid set of levels with some rocking awesome music, especially the intermission music XD. Some of the posters here I don't get the reference to (than again I mostly lived through the 2000's so :l). Also that opening map. If it was released back in the 90's I'd swear it was realistic. The detail there is OUTSTANDING for vanilla engine!

If I had to make a complaint I'd say it's the lack of cover and the gunner/hitscan spam. A LOT of enemies in the first few maps are gunners and dodging them withotu cover is really not possible. I'd suggest either more health to tank or maybe add a few more places to hide?

I HIGHLY recommend this wad! 10/10

Just finished the set as well. I think the best way I can describe how I feel about this is: Super relaxing, and super entertaining. That choice of music went a long way to making this feel so lighthearted and fun. Things started to get a little spicy around map 5, and overall the difficulty curve felt really smooth. Probably one of my favorite aspects of the whole set was coming up to each exit door wondering, "Hmm, I wonder what's gonna be in this one!

And there was just something about the look of this that killed me, everytime. 

raymohawk.png.413d66b55e339af8b4b1001493afe1c3.png

Most memorable moment: 

Spoiler

Inadvertently went flying through this vent on map04, thinking it was impassable. Landed in the watery trench below on the other side; instantly swarmed to death. Basically ambushed myself. Not sure if this was your plan... but if it was... well played, sir, well played.

raymohawk_vent.png.87cdcac5b9dfb215550fe8a1a77425d0.png

7 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Also that opening map. If it was released back in the 90's I'd swear it was realistic. The detail there is OUTSTANDING for vanilla engine!

If I had to make a complaint I'd say it's the lack of cover and the gunner/hitscan spam. A LOT of enemies in the first few maps are gunners and dodging them withotu cover is really not possible. I'd suggest either more health to tank or maybe add a few more places to hide?

Thanks for the feedback! Before the final release, I will add a few more cover spots to help with this hitscanner issue, very good point.

8 hours ago, Gez said:

Finished, that was fun. I liked how one-time monster teleports were used to make door-camping more entertaining, it's a cool trick.

Also liked how noping out of the boss fight room gives you an invuln.

Thank you Gez, I’m glad to hear you enjoyed it. I thought it would be kind of funny to reward players for running away from the final fight.

7 hours ago, RonnieJamesDiner said:

And there was just something about the look of this that killed me, everytime. 

raymohawk.png.413d66b55e339af8b4b1001493afe1c3.png

Most memorable moment: 

Hide contents

Inadvertently went flying through this vent on map04, thinking it was impassable. Landed in the watery trench below on the other side; instantly swarmed to death. Basically ambushed myself. Not sure if this was your plan... but if it was... well played, sir, well played.

raymohawk_vent.png.87cdcac5b9dfb215550fe8a1a77425d0.png

Lmao that face does look so hopeless and fed up. I was so close to making that fan impassable, but I actually did the same exact thing you did during testing and found it hilarious so I decided to leave it!

Thank you all for the feedback and comments.

This was rally fun. Loved how small yet intricate the maps were. I also liked how often i could just go ham with the chaingun. 

I wish you would have stuck with the beach setting a bit longer tho, the later maps while still good, were aesthetically kinda clashing with the fun sunny mood you were going for. Also the last fight was a bit of a chore, having to press the switch constantly kinda killed the flow, and the cyberdemon fight was kinda boring. With that said, i overall enjoyed it a lot, i wish more maps went for this smaller scale tightly designed feel.

I was very disappointed with the final boss area too, I have to admit. I'm thinking about completely overhauling it as several other players agree. I also forgot to add several visual details to add to the beachy vibe in the later levels which I plan to implement. The idea of making the mod sort of summer themed only came to me halfway through designing it, I should have incorporated it more before the release so I'll have that aspect fixed up before the final version goes up as well. Thanks for the feedback, it helps a lot!