Find results in...
HAK3180

*2020 HAKAWARDS* I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps 2 *CLOSED*

I have a four map requests for this project:

map04: River valley
map09: Courtyard
map10: Nightmare
map13: City centre

You have played some of the maps earlier but these are new.

-No custom monsters, boom-compatible.
-Doom2 iwad
-You can use prBoom or GZDoom. I would prefer GZDoom as interiors has much warmer feel with for dynamic lights.
-I think levels are easy as "community standards" as I see then so UV might be right.

map04 is longest but can be played under hour, propably go over. Has very many paths while most secret or hidden.
map09 medium sized
map10 medium sized a bit gimmicky map
map13 large but quite strightforward, I would say under hour

If you liked map04, map20 has same kind of approach with techbase theme but much bigger. Also the last map of the wad.

Edited by Jaska : Typos and more info

Table of Contents

@Soulless

download the .zip

This is a good early effort with a few quirks and gimmicks that keep it from being sterile. I especially appreciate the innovative cyberdemon fight and at least the idea to do somewhat obscure progression at the beginning, even if not the execution. There are some issues, and they usually have to do with the freedom Doomguy has to move about so as to nullify the threat of most of the swarmy fights. The teleporting imp fight comes to mind, as well as the water courtyard of meat later on. There's also a slight feeling that this is two consecutive disjointed levels, but the windows help minimize that a bit. 

Bottom line: You can sense some inexperience, but the effort and polish are duly noted.

Thanks for playing the whole thing!

Ive been fooling around with doom builder for 3 weeks now, this is my third map, but as you stated, way to big, I just wanted to experiment with an outdoor map/area but it definetely got a bit too large.

About the map itself, well the intro, which I tweaked a little to be less confusing, was intended to be puzzley.

What I had in mind is to lure the player to the super shotgun, and unleash the revenants leading to the second teleport, but I guess since you could get the ss without triggering the line, the puzzle gets indeed obscure by moments, same goes for the next room; the falling waste which triggers another fight that leads to the final button, again, intended to be puzzley. Couldnt manage to make it more intuitive, but im working on it hehe.

Second part is very straight forward since is a hub with colour tagged doors so the puzzle part ends there.

-The red door before the cyberdemon locks behind you (at least in the last tweak) so if you run for the blu key, he will be targeting you through the bars while you teleport to he pool/hub. Another option is getting a secret invulnerability, teleport with the key, and lure out the cyber to have fun at the hub, or even make the final run through the blue door and the damaging floor. After a lot of testing I just go and speedrun the map, to see the options one could have for any kind of run.

-The shotgunner stuck is fixed by the way.

Anyway, Glad you could finish it, and show me the flaws you encountered, im tweaking some fights and polishing here and there. Also i had a bad trigger for the 1st 3 revenants, it was a bit after the super shotgun...

Thanks again for the review!

*Just tweaked and reworked all the flaws mentioned, leaving  here the "I think" final version, in case anyone want to give it a try.

https://mega.nz/file/815BmDoA#XNfd5s33yBf3MWewVvn8gkEMEupjir_xQMA44Vx_uoo

Edited by Soulless : new link

Please, could you play reworked version of my first map.

Title: Purgatory v2.wad  
Map Format: Doom 2
Ports Tested: GZDoom
IWAD: Doom 2
Map: MAP01, MAP02
Gameplay: Single play
Difficulty Settings: Yes
Multiplayer Placement: No 
Requirements: None
Build Time: c. 3 months

Purgatory v2.zip

As far as freelook, and no jumping, you can turn them off in GZDOOM options, or just bind Jump to a key you don't use.

2 hours ago, Malurek said:

As far as freelook, and no jumping, you can turn them off in GZDOOM options, or just bind Jump to a key you don't use.

I'm not sure why you're saying this. Did you intend to post a map here?

@HAK3180

Thank you very much for your playthrough , it was fun to watch , even if you didn't like some levels. :)

@Dubbagdarrel

download the .zip

The thing about this map is that you could pretty well replace all the doors with teleporters or even exit lines and the player would hardly notice the difference. It’s very disjointed. I don’t think there is any point where you choose which way to go, and there are very few points where you can even see what the progress will be. It very much lacks connection, which is underscored by its length. Once you get the blue key, there’s way too much plasma for the opposition. A lot of it could easily be traded for a few more rockets for a much more balanced experience. All that being said, there were some fun combat moments. Yes, some of it was door camping, but I thought there were some unique setpieces, especially before the extreme abundance of cells.

Bottom line: A mixed bag of gameplay that seems to drag on too long

@damned

Doomworld forum topic

I had a lot of fun here, and I think I would playing it a second time. The layout is quite intricate and allows you to make lots of decisions. At the same time, your progress is marked enough that you won’t have too tough a time navigating. I really like that most of the combat is challenging without being traps – it’s a clinic on good monster placement. Visually, this one is great-looking but more in the generic sense, so it doesn’t really wow you like a few of damned’s others that seem to have a bit more identity.

Bottom line: High quality light puzzle

Alright, leaving here my second map, Ive been reworking how to get keys etc since I posted my previous map.

Its shorter (depends on playstyle) and smaller than UAC Waste Complex, no puzzles around, just action packed, I think its quite enjoyable.

After these 2 maps Im definetely gonna take my time and make the next one slowly and more precisely.

Map position: MAP02
Map name: Molten Yard

Tested in GZDoom
Freelook: Optional
Jumping/crouching: Off
Iwad used: Doom II

https://mega.nz/file/UphlhLDD#jIha63kcu8GDeNYJWZHsry54_c01P8Bnx4pnLumGGhM

Edited by Soulless : new link

8 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Bottom line: High quality light puzzle

Thanks. I suppose I need to hide some secrets on automap to make them little bit more difficult to find (BFG).
The Megaarmor is in fact not a trap. :) One of the bars up there has different texture and you can lower this one by simple usage. Also the bars has 32 gap between so if you just push backwards or forward after the teleporting (no change of direction), you should be able to squeeze through it.

You're alot more critical than Austinado. It's good to see two different perspectives on my maps.

On 11/21/2019 at 1:07 AM, HAK3180 said:

@rdwpa

[VIDEO]

download the .zip

While I was playing this, I forgot it was a 3-hour speedmap and never mentioned it. You don’t really notice that fact. There are a few spots where there’s not a lot of texture variation, but good lighting prevents that from having a negative impact. I think it’s actually a pretty attractive map, especially without any bells or whistles (just Boom and stock textures). The map is basically five distinct areas, but they’re really not so distinct. Right from the start, you can see almost the whole map and there are always opportunities to have combat mingle across the sections. Combat is all fun and well thought out. The map itself tends to come alive and have serious implications for strategy, which is ideal. If I had to guess what was somewhat rushed, I would say the yellow key trap and the final “room,” though I’d also say the latter has some elements going for it that make it more than what its first impression is, which is a pretty basic mini slaughter section.

Bottom line: a quality map that should appeal to most

Thanks! It was a pleasant surprise that it being a speedmap went overlooked during play. I've experimented with many processes over the years, and this is the one I'm happiest with so far. Yeah the little YK skirmish is halfbaked, and the final area allowing escape so easily was I think a typo-related mistake with setting the barrier height.

Neither of these maps last longer than 5 minutes, and difficulty? Umm, is "noobslayer" an accurate description? XD My maps seem to be tricky for the average player, usually, heh. MAP02 will not work properly in GZDoom due to vanilla conveyor.

@R2card

Doomworld forum topic

Arenas aren’t my favorite thing ever, but they can certainly be fun. This one, unfortunately, was boring to look at and boring to play. All the combat was on flat ground and most of it had zero urgency to it, due to too much space and uninteresting space.

Bottom line: An arena fight of half a dozen or so boring waves

@The_SloVinator

Doomworld forum topic

I really did not like Sigil. That’s the most important thing to say here. This map does Sigil quite well, from the atmosphere to the appearance itself to the constant ammo shortage to the abstract cohesion of the map to the puzzle elements. Unfortunately, I got to a point where I had no idea how to continue, so this playthrough is incomplete but I think it has an objective quality to it, if you will, that is right there in line with that of Sigil. I appreciate much of this. I like very little of it.

Bottom line: Well, if you like Sigil

1 hour ago, HAK3180 said:

@The_SloVinator

Doomworld forum topic

I really did not like Sigil. That’s the most important thing to say here. This map does Sigil quite well, from the atmosphere to the appearance itself to the constant ammo shortage to the abstract cohesion of the map to the puzzle elements. Unfortunately, I got to a point where I had no idea how to continue, so this playthrough is incomplete but I think it has an objective quality to it, if you will, that is right there in line with that of Sigil. I appreciate much of this. I like very little of it.

Yea, I enjoyed Sigil myself, so that was the point of the map.

I understand & respect your taste. Sigil is indeed a controversial wad, so I expected this to be in the same line.

Thanks for playing!

10 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@HAK3180

Arenas aren’t my favorite thing ever, but they can certainly be fun. This one, unfortunately, was boring to look at and boring to play. All the combat was on flat ground and most of it had zero urgency to it, due to too much space and uninteresting space.

Bottom line: An arena fight of half a dozen or so boring waves

I'm reworking all the levels right now, this specific level has undergone a very large over hall. I'm not sure if you'd like to keep playing this one, or wait for my WAD update. Though, perhaps it would be better to do these because there could be other things I've overlooked in the future levels as well.

@RonnieJamesDiner

Doomworld forum topic

This is one of those times where I say “I just want to play Doom.” There’s enough departure here to alter the feel significantly, and while some are looking for that kind of innovation, I’m not. The map itself seems decent enough, though I was surprised at how much pistol action there was. But if the mechanics changes don’t bother you, you’ll probably have a good time.

Bottom line: I’m sure you’ll like this if you’re not a wadist oldschoolexual

6 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@The_SloVinator

Doomworld forum topic

I was curious and I don't mind puzzles (As long as they aren't too puzzling) so I checked it out. I had a bit of help from IDDQD and your video.

Looks like the intended route in that cyberdemon arena (For lack of a better word) is as follows:

Grab the invulnerability and get into the lava. Take the teleporter with the blue torches which drops you on that island where you spent most of your time riding those "Lifts". Moving off the teleport destination lowers the teleporter on a little detached island behind it. Taking that teleporter takes you to the next cyber island. There is another teleporter on that island, take that one and you can reach the final cyber island. Flip the switch on his platform to lower the bars guarding that fireblu teleporter. That lets you telefrag them all, then grab the blue key on the last island.

The blue switch lowers the blue bars that were by that baron you were puzzling how people that missed the plasma gun would progress from earlier.

By bowing out when you did, you missed the crusher section! :P

@HAK3180 I completely understand where you're coming from, it's definitely an acquired taste! I still really appreciate you taking the time to check it out, and for the kind words. May your next wads be oldschoolexual in nature, haha. Cheers!

@Jaska

Doomworld forum topic

I’ve played these maps before, but they’re still breathtaking. The real world-like environments that Jaska creates are incredible, not just because they look great, but because the mapper manages to put really good gameplay in them. It’s linear-ish while extremely exploratory. You’re going to cover a ton of ground but probably will never be seriously lost. And the combat is fun. It’s just  varied enough and well balanced.

Bottom line: Gorgeous and entertaining from start to finish

@Boomslang

Doomworld forum topic

Welcome to mapping, Boomslang. Some things to think about: smaller areas – I find myself saying this a lot for newer mappers. Doomguy is fast and opportunistic. Monsters are slow and AI-controlled. It’s not just less space, though; it’s more interesting space. Almost everything here was flat and boring. The mancubus dynamic was somewhat interesting. What was different there? It was the only time monsters were at different levels. Also think about a little more connection. Each area was very distinct. Think about wide doorways or stairs instead of doors, adding windows, looping the design to prevent major backtracking, etc.

Bottom line: a beginner map of huge rooms

@jariditumim

Doomworld forum topic

Well, it’s distinct. It’s a series of specific fights and there is a little bit of variety. I enjoyed some of the fights and rather disliked others, but I didn’t think anything was implemented too poorly, though I did get stuck twice and resorted to cheating. I do think mandatory progression could be a bit more obvious in some places.

Bottom line: unique for a first effort though not especially my cup of tea