Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

I remember reading that Valiant replaced the spider mastermind with something else and replaced lite-amp with the mastermind, making it still placable. As a result, it also stopped being immune to splash damage. I can't help much, but that might point you in the right direction...
Here's where I read that:
https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Valiant

Very interesting, gonna check it right now, thank you!

edit: works like a charm  :)

edit 2: Is there any .Bex code for the Cyberdemon like this spider? 

Edited by Darch

On 11/10/2019 at 11:52 PM, Gez said:

It's a command-line program, so if you just click on it, it runs once, prints a message about wanting command parameters, exits, and then Windows close it since it has quit. So you just see very briefly a terminal window that instantly disappears, and it can indeed look like a crash.

But you shouldn't need it anyway; its functionality is integrated in SLADE. I don't know why it fails in PrBoom; perhaps you're using a vanilla Doom complevel and it disables them? If that's not it, I have no idea.

I didn't used or change any complevel ever. Idk what default complevel for prboom+ is now, but you gave me good idea to take a look at the config file and see what is there. Who knows maybe is going to help.

Hello, I've been struggling to make a perfect 3d sphere for a while now and I started to ask the question of where it's possible to even make one or not. I know you can make one with a portal sector and vertex slopes. However, what I'm building is an inverted tesla coil look-alike structure hung from the ceiling, so it makes portal sector a no go. Here is a screenshot as an example:-

Screenshot_Doom_20191125_130113.png.e4971f8f11c465fb507998e09d6c77ef.png

Decided to go for a spike-ish look instead since I couldn't make a sphere.

I'd suggest using a model for the sphere instead of trying to make it out of 3D floor geometry. Note that a perfect sphere is impossible, since GZDoom doesn't support curved surfaces, but you can get something close enough to look like one during gameplay, especially if the player can't normally reach right up to it since it's on the ceiling.

Another, simpler alternative is to use a sprite with the force XY billboarding flag.

Hmm, I'll go for something close first, as it is really high and the player will be far from it. I haven't tried anything related to decorate yet, I'll read up on it first before trying it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

56 minutes ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

B: Create your own midi

Try Aria Maestosa. IMO it's much better than sekaiju, more intuitive interface, and overall more user friendly. Also, like sekaiju, it's for free.

I've got two questions about Hexen:

1 - how do I remove the Centaur's ability to block?

2 - when killing an enemy with the ice cones, how do I make it so it immediatly shatters?

You'll need to redefine the actors. In *ZDoom, this is done through DECORATE, by replacing actors with clones where states have been changed.

1. For Centaur, CentaurLeader, and CentaurMash, redefine the pain states, from the original
      Pain:
        CENT G 6 A_Pain
        CENT G 6 A_SetReflectiveInvulnerable
        CENT EEE 15 A_CentaurDefend
        CENT E 1 A_UnsetReflectiveInvulnerable

to something like this

Pain:
        CENT G 6 A_Pain
        CENT G 6 
        CENT EEE 15 A_CentaurDefend

the centaurs will still raise their shields but it'll be purely cosmetic, with no effect.

2. For all monsters (except the Wendigo aka IceGuy, and the "Mash" monsters), redefine the Ice states. Using the centaur as an example, you'll find this:

Ice:
        CENT U 5 A_FreezeDeath
        CENT U 1 A_FreezeDeathChunks
        Wait

replace A_FreezeDeathChunks with A_IceGuyDie, you can also replace the Wait instruction with Stop.

Ice:
        CENT U 5 A_FreezeDeath
        CENT U 1 A_IceGuyDie
        Stop

And that's it. Don't forget to even do it for monsters that don't define their own Ice states but inherit from a parent actor, like CentaurLeader, SerpentLeader, or Demon2.

@Gez

Here's the decorate I wrote for the Centaur

actor NewCentaur : Centaur replaces Centaur
{
	Pain:
	CENT G 6 A_Pain
	Goto See

Ice:
	CENT U 5 A_FreezeDeath
    CENT U 1 A_IceGuyDie
    Stop
}

But if I run it I get this error:

'@property@cent' is an unknown actor property

1 hour ago, Rince-wind said:

But if I run it I get this error:

'@property@cent' is an unknown actor property

You didn't put the states in their sub-block.

actor NewCentaur : Centaur replaces Centaur
{
	States
	{
	Pain:
		CENT G 6 A_Pain
		Goto See

Ice:
		CENT U 5 A_FreezeDeath
		CENT U 1 A_IceGuyDie
		Stop
	}
}

This should work.

On 11/24/2019 at 10:39 PM, Marlamir said:
On 11/10/2019 at 11:52 PM, Gez said:

It's a command-line program, so if you just click on it, it runs once, prints a message about wanting command parameters, exits, and then Windows close it since it has quit. So you just see very briefly a terminal window that instantly disappears, and it can indeed look like a crash.

But you shouldn't need it anyway; its functionality is integrated in SLADE. I don't know why it fails in PrBoom; perhaps you're using a vanilla Doom complevel and it disables them? If that's not it, I have no idea.

I didn't used or change any complevel ever. Idk what default complevel for prboom+ is now, but you gave me good idea to take a look at the config file and see what is there. Who knows maybe is going to help.

I just want to write that it's looks the issue was on slade side. after updating slade to latest version and compile switchtes again it worked this time on both gzdoom and prboom. Must been some kind of bug on slade. F¤ck that shit gave me almost headache glad it's solved by itself.

Is it possible to have ceiling flats move like textures and floors?  It seems that only wall textures, and floor flats can scroll.  

4 minutes ago, Malurek said:

Is it possible to have ceiling flats move like textures and floors?  It seems that only wall textures, and floor flats can scroll.  

Depending on mapping format you can move flats like textures, but it's not possible in vanilla format with linedef actions. You could maybe "cheat the system" by using animated flats, but it's going to require a bit more effort than using for example boom-linedef actions, or ZDoom/UDMF trickery.

1 minute ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Depending on mapping format you can move flats like textures, but it's not possible in vanilla format with linedef actions. You could maybe "cheat the system" by using animated flats, but it's going to require a bit more effort than using for example boom-linedef actions, or ZDoom/UDMF trickery.

For this particular map, it's DOOM in HEXEN format in DOOM Builder 2

Just now, Malurek said:

For this particular map, it's DOOM in HEXEN format in DOOM Builder 2

Both Zandronum(Doom in Hexen) and ZDoom (Doom in Hexen) should have linedef actions or sector special to scroll floors.

Just now, Nine Inch Heels said:

Both Zandronum(Doom in Hexen) and ZDoom (Doom in Hexen) should have linedef actions or sector special to scroll floors.

There is, but when I use those specials for a ceiling, the ceiling doesn't scroll

1 minute ago, Malurek said:

There is, but when I use those specials for a ceiling, the ceiling doesn't scroll

Make sure to check the options for your respective linedef action. There's "scroll texture" "scroll things" "both". And there's also the method by which to scroll anything "linedef XY", for example. The engine needs to know what to do and how to do it. Zandro and ZDoom linedef actions are a bit more "complex" than plain vanilla.

Also don't use DB2, at least use DBX, because it's better and more stable.

I remember that someone here once managed to make the snake skin floor texture subtly "move" by manipulating light levels.

After downloading some texture packs form realm667, I have discovered that one of the packs changed the sound effects for item pick ups, added zombie men noises, changed the coloring of the imps, and changedt he status bar.  I believe it's the black and green texture pack from realm 667, I'll have to make 100% sure though.

Is it possible to get texture packs that don't change a bunch of other things along with it, but is the texture pack that would do so anyway?

27 minutes ago, Malurek said:

Is it possible to get texture packs that don't change a bunch of other things along with it

Yes.

You could also just remove the unwanted resources form the pack you downloaded, and customize it according to your needs.

28 minutes ago, Malurek said:

but is the texture pack that would do so anyway?

I am unable to make sense of this

i mean as far as a texture pack that changes sounds, and status bar, and adds things other than textures.  essentially. i asked the same thing twice, and later on i realized, i could probably just change it through slade3 lol

On 8/19/2015 at 1:11 AM, Kappes Buur said:

Yes.
Other than that you need two block sound lines to keep sound from progagating into other sectors.

If you want to see this in action, then use the Sound Propagation Mode in GZDoom Builder.

YjCh4Rjm.jpg

So that's what I've been doing wrong this entire time. Thanks!

GZDoom Builder (Bugfix) isn't showing dynamic lights of any kind in the builder, or in testing. Why might this be?

Edited by GoatLord

1 hour ago, GoatLord said:

GZDoom Builder (Bugfix) isn't showing dynamic lights of any kind in the builder, or in testing. Why might this be?

YRSN2r2.png

I've changed GOR3A0 to a different sprite on lost civilization. For some reason if I edit it to appear on the roof on GZdoom it will sink in the roof in prBoom. I don't get it, why?

nvWkzWn.png
8yLvK7l.png