Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chipper35

Demake?

Kind of a 2-part question...........

I've been a gamer since the 2nd Ice age.........but there are just so many terms today......geez. That said:

What exactly is a 'demake'? I think it's taking a new thing, but re-creating the way it might've looked 25 years ago. Is that close?

Where did the term first appear? Roughly speaking: what are some notable demakes from the past? (PC only)..........

9 minutes ago, Chipper35 said:

What exactly is a 'demake'? I think it's taking a new thing, but re-creating the way it might've looked 25 years ago. Is that close?

Close, but as I understand it I would say a true demake doesn't just fake an "old" look the way a lot of modern indie stuff does but has to actually target an old system like running on a NES or Atari 2600 or whatever.  In that regard, there's not much in the way of PC stuff since DOS homebrew is highly niche even compared to old consoles.  Usually they have only a vague thematic connection to whatever it is they're demaking, given those constraints.

As I understand it, a 'demake' is a backport of an existing game to inferior hardware. I wanted to be sure though so I googled it. According to wikipedia, this is the definition:

A demake is a video game remake on an older platform, or one which converts the game to an older graphical or gameplay style.

20 hours ago, Doomkid said:

As I understand it, a 'demake' is a backport of an existing game to inferior hardware. I wanted to be sure though so I googled it. According to wikipedia, this is the definition:

I would concur. Like if someone made a Doom mod for Wolf3d.

4 hours ago, Murdoch said:

I would concur. Like if someone made a Doom mod for Wolf3d.

Interestingly there are a few. Probably the best one is Klooni.