Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DooMBoy

Last Day of the Year is Tomorrow

[strike]Well, tomorrow is that day again, December 31st, last day of the year 2002. Seems odd, this year seems to have flown by. One day it was the middle of June, now tomorrow is Dec. 31st. Odd.
Share your thoughts on this year.[/strike]

UPDATE WHICH I'M SURE YOU ALREADY KNOW about :

Well, 2003 has arrived. Share your thoughts on 2002. :)

This year was full of ups and downs for me. But I did als notice that it went by quickly.
Grr! Now I have to get used to writing "2003".

I'm still alive, as are my family and dogs. I made some new friends and am doing well in school. This year was pretty good, all in all; not nearly as crazy-happy as the '98-99 school year was, but pretty good.

gatewatcher said:

Must have been your senior year...???

Junior year, actually. A lot happened that year. The first year I acutally did well in school, for one.

this year was alright, like most others. i was glad to get out of high school, damn planet infested with humans.
however i failed a class in college, not good. so now i got to bust ass like never before, well atleast with school work.

Bust ass, Sephiroth?

Holy shit Doomboy, I thought the subject line of this post was "Last day of the WORLD is tomorrow." I was worried.

Assmaster said:

Grr! Now I have to get used to writing "2003".

LMAO. I always have that problem. In 2000, I was still writing 1999 in my schoolbooks in February.

Good year for me. First semester of my first year of college done, buying a sportbike next year, making my top end pc and...ya.

Last year sucked, this year sucked and the next year will suck even harder.
A war on Iraq, more terrorist attacks, more people killed.

2003 = DEATH! DEATH! DEATH!!

This year was a standard year. I had lots of "high-ups" and downs - some of which were really low.

Down's: This was the first year I EVER failed a school test, worse still is that these tests happened to be exams, d'oh! And it did not just happen once, but FOUR times!!! - guess I'm getting too worn down to keep up studying.
Also this was the year where I started to seriously doubt that my current education would lead to a job I'd like, but we'll see.
Also, this year has brought me a lot of online enemies (thankfully, it's nowhere near having enemies in real life which I barely have any of).
Then I've had a bunch of other downs, not worth mentioning.

Ups: Oooh, lots of ups, this is a year I'll probably remember as my "Doomworld year" (although I signed up in December 2001). I not only became a decently respected Member, but suddenly found myself a Mod. And before long, I found myself moderating three forums - all this in just one year, yeah, I got mad sk1llz ^_^
Anyway, what really mattered was that I got a bunch of online friends - although they don't count as "real" friends like friends you can talk to face to face, they did a lot to make life seem a little easier. Who knows? One day a few of these online friends will make it into real friends :-)
Another thing is that I not only discovered my writing skills which are decent, but I also found out that I'm quite good at doing computer graphics too (at least regular flat graphics - I don't know if I can do models or model skins), plus I found a reason to go back to practice my drawing skills (it's a lot more motivating to have someone actually comment on your drawings - as long as the comments aren't shitty slagging-offs or exclusively error-finding comments).

dsm said:

I ... became a decently respected Member

you are?

Let's see, up and downs in the doom community (hopefully in chronological oder)...

Ups:
Created half of the first wad of 2002, UDM1. Very popular, even impressing the likes of Dashiva, who wanted me to help out with a project which I think was never finished. We (Unidoom) started UDM2 shortly after, but then we stopped caring after I left, but has been in-progress since I returned. Will be released very soon.
Created parody doom sites, doomworld.tk and newdoom.tk. Big flamewar about newdoom.tk at the NewDoom forums (surprise surprise).
Created clan AABC, dedicated to those who got sick of those flooding matches with "NO BFG YOU SUCK". Over 30 people joined in under a week. After that died, ABC disappeared from the face of the earth.
Created the Doom Alpha Resource Wads, which enabled those who wanted to try the Alpha levels in newer ports. I know of a few projects which used them, but I only know of one who gave credit...
I became a ZDaemon "god" (note the quotation marks), being respected everywhere for my strong dedication to the port, and my somewhat excellent ping handling skills, which is mastered by few. However, when I left, so did all the other famous players, leaving the port stranded with low-skilled players. One of them being a overconfident person known as Badfish...
When I returned, Ralphis had told me about this project he was working on, which is probably the most interesting twist I've ever seen to Doom - that's right folks, I'm talking about NESDoom. Progress seemed to slow after a while, as certain people promised that they'll produce maps, but we never saw any hints of them actually working on it. Hopefully after UDM2, NESDoom will be back in production, so don't give up hope just yet.
I am currently working for the Mock 2 project, which is nearly complete. I have contributed 4 maps, and my next one is only known as the super secret level.
I volunteered to betatest ZDaemon, and I was lucky I asked NightFang on that cold June day. We had loads of fun testing it, but it all seemed to go wrong at the initial release... And yes, I still have the first 1.0 beta. Trust me, it's not playable. I also got a @zdaemon.com email account for helping out so much.
I volunteerd to betatest Eternity, and I pointed out a rather annoying bug with doom2.exe compatability.
Oh yes, I almost forgot. I asked to do the offical /newstuff reviews, and I'm one of the three (four if you count Cyb) who are currently doing them. It also proved another thing: People can't handle a little bit of harshness over the internet.

Downs:
I left Doom for four months to play RuneScape, a free online RPG game. Bad mistake, but I had fun with a friend from school, plus I met some cool people along the way (pretty hard to find in an online RPG game, believe me). I have started playing it again, but this time, it won't take over my Dooming... hopefully.
Don't ever be confident if you're living 4 months behind in the DM community. You'll never know what surprises will hit you. I learned that quite easily.
I lost my op status at #zdoom twice, the first because Ralph linked my nick with his and banned someone, the second time was because Dash linked my nick with some fakes he made and started abusing the powers. I had a hard time getting it back the second time, but luckily, nothing bad has happened since.
/newstuff #101. Proof that rush jobs never succeed.

That's everything I can think of atm. What will 2003 become for me? Will it be another good year, or will something bad happen for the wrong reasons? That I don't know, and I'm ready to be prepared for the worst, or the best.

2002 has been a bizarre mix of both up-ishness and down-ishness.

Ups
I became married to Jay Steele, known here as Vampirajay, on March 23rd.
Our second child was concieved.

Downs
Still stuck in a two-room, one-bathroomed flat.
Money is still tight as our application for disability care allowance still hasn't been processed.

Hopefully, 2003 will be the year of change. The care allowance should go through, resulting in more cash, while Riverside (our Housing Association) should get round to moving us into a 2/3 bedroomed house.

Things can only get better.