Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DFF

Interception II CP (Old thread, Return to original)

Guys, I'm still not sure what's going on with this project. I never gave DFF control of the project, he assumed control himself when I cancelled it. It's fine, and I'm glad people care about it, but why remove all of my maps? If they were bad, why didn't anyone tell me before? We could be much farther along in playtesting if we just improve the maps we have.

5 hours ago, Moustachio said:

Guys, I'm still not sure what's going on with this project. I never gave DFF control of the project, he assumed control himself when I cancelled it. It's fine, and I'm glad people care about it, but why remove all of my maps? If they were bad, why didn't anyone tell me before? We could be much farther along in playtesting if we just improve the maps we have.

Your maps were removed when you stepped away and cancelled the project. Since there had been a lot of work done already, DFF decided to take over and see the project through to completion; we had no idea that you would be coming back. In the meantime, while you were away, the assumption was made that you wouldn't want your levels used in a project that you apparently didn't want anything to do with anymore. New people volunteered to make maps in the interim.

Now that you're back, I see nothing wrong with using your maps. DFF just didn't want to cut off the new volunteers if they were still working on it. I don't think any of this has to do with the quality of your maps (which I enjoyed).

It seems that this megawad no longer needs more maps. In light of this I have decided to withdraw my map from this megawad so that I can use it as part of my own upcoming mostly Vanilla megawad that I am Also working on for use with GZDoom

That way I Also do not need to stress to finish the level

So, I'm trying my best to have my map ready for the 31st, it's currently only 10% of the whole, thing, I have in mind, and it's going to be kind of big. Will leave skills and whatever extras to after the deadline. But so that I show a proof that it's on process:

Spoiler

FBpzQWY.jpg

It'll look prettier, I promise.

Yeah, no worries. And if you need a couple weeks or two that’s fine, just try to get a close alpha or almost completion by the deadline if you need a little extra time

It's very unlikely I'll have anything done by the deadline map-wise, so you can throw another one of those Moustachio maps back in there. I think I can knock out a song or two in the remaining time frame we have though; I assume we're still in need of original music.

Guess I'll share an update, just so that it's shown that I'm still on it:

Pk1Lq8z.jpg

At the very least it'll be around 70% done by the deadline. It'll miss skills, probably a lot of detailing, most probably parts not functioning perfectly, and maybe a couple sections, though I'll make sure it's playable and you can exit, and the leader may evaluate if it's in conditions to be accepted. Apologies, time has been a little expensive these last weeks.

Just a heads up to those mapping and who are not in the discord, that today will be the final day for Interception 2 map submissions.

I'd like at least some form or proof of map completion (a WAD file preferably with at least half completion) or near map completion within today or the next (within the next 24 hours from now).
Even if the map isn't fully complete or needs some more work that is fine. I just need some proof of map work. if it takes a week or two longer to fully finish no sweat. If i don't hear back with anything you'll lose the map slot so TMM can sub back in his maps.

So here's my part: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wypihgu6gpmykr0/inter2map24.zip?dl=0

Note that it's not even remotely finnished, but due to time constraints the further I got was 60-65% done, which is still more than enough proof of what the map is about in general. It's in a playable state, if you're going to try it make sure to god mode wherever you want to. What's left:

- Skills

- A LOT of polishing, whether monster placement and detailing, yet what's there already is a HNTR-ized version with the minimal to see setups and ideas.

- Two or three more areas and a proper final part, all of these already planned so they won't take too long.

- Marble area needs an overhaul, but the essence of the area is the same.

And later addressing bugs and feedback. Hopefully you like more or less what you see, minus the lack of light variation :x

Oh, yeah, I told DerFurer'sFace I would finnish it within the next two weeks, so it'll play and look a lot better.

Just a heads up for those not on the discord, the first beta candidate is now available. Every map should be playable in prboom+
Any and all play testing would be appreciated.

Here's playthroughs of MAP01-MAP03:

Spoiler

and MAP04-MAP07:

Spoiler

I'll be doing a full playthrough of Interception II, so hopefully this should help with playtesting and getting feedback to the map authors.

My Map Ratings:

• MAP01: 3/10
  • MAP02: unfinished/10
  • MAP03: 9/10
  • MAP04: 7/10
  • MAP05: 8/10
  • MAP06: 7/10
  • MAP07: 8/10

Bugs discovered:

• MAP05: It's possible to get stuck on the soulsphere platform surrounded by the transparent bloodfalls.

Mappers featured:

@NeedHealth

@DerFurer'sFace

@Elio Nako

@Misty

@DMPhobos

@DJVCardMaster

@joe-ilya

Edited by Moustachio : Videos are going in spoiler tags from here on out

I'm watching your playthrough, and I do agree about the chaingunners and the BFG in my map, I'll be tuning it up further.

1 hour ago, Moustachio said:

MAP03: 9/10

I didn't expect such high rating for this map we did couple years ago. There are things, I wouldn't do right now - like instant pop-ups, think more about better placement of triggers and actors, maybe add more details around and some proper light levels. DMPhobos was nice enough to help me to finish this map when I started to struggle with it, provided more inteconnections between areas and fixed some plaguing issues I had presented with older versions of levels. Well, everything was part of learning. 
Besides, thank you for providing useful commentary. 

@Moustachio

Thanks again for doing these playthroughs, it should help with finding the areas that need slight improvements.
There is a modified version of map01 by me and Galileo31Dos01 that was released, I can link it if you wish to try it, otherwise i'll adjust based on your feedback and what we already changed.

Another note, if playing my map11, the map definitely still needs some visual changes and a lot of work. I plan on changing rock textures and monster balancing. They yellow key path will be optional and other pathing changes. One change I made though for the beta I forgot i made it and subsequently made the map unbeatable. if you wish to review it use this modified version, it needs work I know but its at least playable without cheats 

@joe-ilya No worries, I'm glad to hear there's another revision coming along soon. I think once that difficulty spike is eliminated, this will be a standout MAP07.

@Misty I'm glad my commentary could be of assistance! I understand that these are some older maps for a lot of us, so I think it's a good chance to revisit them and see how far we've all come.

@DerFurer'sFace I already uploaded the MAP11 review, but I can re-record it if it's too different from the latest revision. I gave it a 7/10 (supposing that it would be finished). My main reason for this was because of some awkward platforming in one secret that gave me nightmares, some areas that could have been fleshed out more with some useful items/secrets, some areas can be very claustrophobic in particular (nothing too bad though), and just general improvements and obviously bugfixes.

Remember though, I'm just playing from RC1, so this is just what most playtesters will encounter.

Now, for the fresh uploads:

MAP08-MAP10:

Spoiler

MAP11:

Spoiler

Ratings:

• MAP08: 9/10
  • MAP09: 8/10
  • MAP10: 5/10
  • MAP11: 7/10 (on this earlier build)

Bugs found:

• MAP11 has some areas where you can get stuck (outside of the unfinished ending in this build).

Mappers featured:

@Big Ol Billy

@Pegleg

@stewboy

@NuclearPotato

Thats perfectly fine, the one I sent you did not have a real significant change, just made the outside loop passable/ not a dead end

Thanks for the kind words @Moustachio! There were some surprises watching on my end, actually, since I think the editing crew has touched up the map in a few ways (to good effect, I think). That one secret that's been stumping you is accessible from the hell path, partially to give you a potential reward after choosing the tougher route ;)

@Moustachio

I'm glad you liked how Map 09 worked out. I think the five of us collaborated rather well.

As for my contribution, I only added one section to the map. I added the whole section to the south of the start area (including that claustrophobic bendy hallway) that leads to the red key area, the entrance to the soulsphere secret, the window with the cacodemon beyond it (which was originally a pain elemental), and the switch that raises the bridge to the blue key door. Originally, the trap with the two chaingunners and two sergeants on UV was 4 hell knights on UV, but NuclearPotato scaled that back because "it was too cruel, even on UV." Ultimately, I think that was probably the right decision. DFF added a lot of the detailing to my area, as well as adding the plasma gun secret.

On 4/28/2020 at 4:06 PM, Big Ol Billy said:

That one secret that's been stumping you is accessible from the hell path...

Oh my, so there is some more merit to taking the right path after all! That really helps tie the map together, I'll have to keep searching for it now out of Doom Builder.

@Pegleg It is really interesting to see how that worked out, thanks for giving a more definitive and clear record of who-did-what on the map than I could!

EDIT -- More videos:

MAP12-MAP14:

Spoiler

MAP15-MAP31:

Spoiler

MAP32-MAP17:

Spoiler

Ratings:

• MAP12: 6/10
  • MAP13: 5/10
  • MAP14: 7/10
  • MAP15: 3/10
  • MAP31: 9/10
  • MAP32: 7/10
  • MAP16: 7/10
  • MAP17: 7/10

Mappers featured:

@DJVCardMaster

@DukeOfDoom

@DerFurer'sFace

@stewboy

@Pegleg

Hi,

Map 15 can be broken.

Before "going out" in the open at those raising platforms: when you push the switch to open a way to those plaforms, but instead of advancing, when you retreat, the door closes and cannot be opened again. This breaks boths SP and MP.

For the rest, what can I say: damn solid WAD this is.

rating of 3/10 for this map? Up this to 8/10 and we are friends again...

I really appreciate Moustachio coming back and doing a full run of the WAD. This will help with fine tuning. 
I'd also like to say that I will get to adjusting these maps eventually, but It may take a while for me to get to them.
For the original mappers, If you want to go ahead and make adjustments to your own maps based on feedback and resubmit either here or the discord, It would save me time and make publishing the wad come a lot sooner. 

Hi there! I'm new in this community. I just tested out this project and seems Good (It can be improved thou)
BTW, When i was playing E4M30 The map that was something like an 'Arena' where you fought a bunch of demons to finally reveal x4 Cyberdemons... What was that? The design is amazing! But after beating up all the demons... Nothing happened, i keep wandering around to see a switch or something and NOTHING. Is it incomplete?

Regards, Unnamed Marine.

Screenshot_Doom_20200430_154741.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200430_154748.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200430_154752.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200430_154755.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200430_154758.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200430_154810.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200430_154816.png

hi,

- map21 has similar issue. In nort-eastern part of the map, if you don't follow other players, you get stuck in the red mud... Platform does not lower again. have no screenies unfortunately

- red key can be strafed to, without raising the floor (but that may be cause i use it with complex and using chaingun can increase jump distance for some odd reason)

- arch-vile made me jump to yellow key area

Edited by grrfield

@UnnamedMarine
There is a dehacked boss which ends the level when beaten, sadly this means any mod that replaces the waffen SS will break the fight and make it unbeatable. I may consider or see if its possible to move it to another monster that isn't used.
I'm assuming the mod you are using has a monster replacement for the SS.

@grrfield Thanks for the feedback, i'll remember to fix those issues next release.