Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NiGHTMARE

Doom Episode 4 level names

As this week's speedmapping theme was for each person to create an E4 style area that would then be merged into one whole level, I decided to come up with a name for it. As a lot of you probably already know, all the names of the Doom 1 Episode 4 maps were taken from passages from the bible (the King James version AFAIK), so I decided to do the same thing. This site let me find something suitable.

Anyway, afterwards I decided to use the site to see which passages the E4 names are actually from. So without further ado, here they are:

E4M1: Hell Beneath

Proverbs 15:24 - The way of life is above to the wise, that he may depart from hell beneath.

E4M2: Perfect Hatred

Psalm 139:22 - I hate them with perfect hatred: I count them mine enemies.

E4M3: Sever The Wicked

Matthew 13:49
So shall it be at the end of the world: the angels shall come forth, and sever the wicked from among the just,

E4M4: Unruly Evil

James 3:8
But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.

E4M5: They Will Repent

Luke 16:30
And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.

E4M6: Against Thee Wickedly

Psalm 139:20
For they speak against thee wickedly, and thine enemies take thy name in vain.

E4M7: And Hell Followed

Revelation 6:8
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.

E4M8: Unto The Cruel

Proverbs 5:9
Lest thou give thine honour unto others, and thy years unto the cruel:

E4M9: Fear

This crops up many, many times - there's 19 instances in Genesis alone.

Heh. I suspected this. Now the next time someone says that doom is evil, I can tell him some stuff in it is from the Bible. (It may shut him up, who knows?)

Ct_red_pants said:

I loved the fourth episode.
Why didn’t anybody else?

I do, it's my favourite episode (and yes, that includes Ep1)

Ct_red_pants said:

I loved the fourth episode.
Why didn’t anybody else?

Because it was boring and repetitive! (IMO)

Shaviro said:

Because it was boring and repetitive! (IMO)

Personally I think that Ep1 and Ep3 are far more repetitive than Ep4.

I remember that I used not to like E4 very much to start with, but since it grew on me. Still there are parts of it I will probably never like:

E4M4's stupid pointless square pedestals in nukage room. All of E4M8 except the initial marble area. The outdoor area of E4M3.

Before you go on flaming E4 you should try to look at the major positive influence it have had on the mapping community.

Without it we would be without things such as Memento Mori 2 and the Plutonia Experiment.

I'm OK with E4. It's got a good general theme and has some very good maps (e4m6 is great, for instance), and not one of them is bad. It's playability is good too. It seems to me like a tribute to PWAD making, sort of being like an appended PWAD and not really part of the IWAD in a sense.

IMO all of the E4 maps look and play great, though they're not as good as they could be because of the skewed difficulty levels. No matter, I still play them almost every day. :)

NiGHTMARE said:

Personally I think that Ep1 and Ep3 are far more repetitive than Ep4.

episode1 was great, but episode3 was like the worst episode in the whole game. IMO

I never actually got to play ep 4 untill recently. It's okay, not as good as the others though IMO. But it looks good.

The reason I liked Episode 4 was beacause it really showed how to effectively use Doom. That, and the chalenge made me a much better player. One of the things I liked most about the way Doom was separated into Episodes was that every one had a different feel. Knee-Deep in the Dead, being made by a different person, has an incredibly different feel than the rest, and the way Phobos Anomoly "introduces" you to what the rest of Doom will be like (since it was made by the dude who did the rest of the levels) is perfect. Knee-Deep in the Dead is my favorite, but probably only because that's the Shareware version and I constantly played it until I got the Ultimate Doom. Anyway, I always thought that the level names were part of something, but I never knew what. Thanks.

Hell beneath perfect hatred.
Sever the wicked, unruly evil.
They will repent, against thee wickedly.
and hell followed, unto the cruel fear.

Wow. makes as much sense as any other poem I've read.. It's gold, GOLD I TELL YAH.

Torn said:

e2m1 and e2m2 are the greatest maps in episode2... imo :)

I hate both, well e2m1 mostly.

NiGHTMARE said:

E2 has the POTENTIAL to be amazing... I'd better not say any more though...

Indeed. I like EpII but it could have been so much more. Pablo (and indeed your good self) has shown us some of what it could have been. Truly corrupted and defiled bases with a marked descent into the hellish.

As for EpIV, Hmmm, yeah. To me it's an interesting foray into a different style, but I'm not a big fan of gothic maps (or I guess what became known as gothic maps - seeing as how EpIV kind of pioneered the style - or did it?). I'm not particularly a fan of the way it plays either.

To me, EpIV feels very tacked on to the original game but somehow trying not to be. The style is different, but not just in a way that distinguishes the original 3 episodes, there's something else too. Not sure what.

And then of course, the intermission screen is of a different style, the end text is a piss take (has to be) and the "story" simply doesn't fit where and how it is supposed to. The look of the levels simply doesn't convey the impression of what the setting is supposed to be either.

Mind you, it was tacked on, and not part of the original concept, so I guess it's fair enough for it to feel that way. It was only added to get a bit more life out of a game that already had a newer version on the shelves wasn't it?

I think if they'd just been a little more up front about the marketing and clearly called it a mission pack, maybe made a different marine the hero of the episode or something to take it right out of the original story line, strangely it may have felt more right.

The biggest disappointment, however, was the total lack of anything new (other than levels of course). Even a few episode specific textures would have been nice, but IMO, it really cried out for a new boss, even something from Doom2 could have worked if presented right.

Enjay said:

Indeed. I like EpII but it could have been so much more. Pablo (and indeed your good self) has shown us some of what it could have been.

I have? Maybe I'm just being thick, I don't recall releasing any E2 themed maps :)

or I guess what became known as gothic maps - seeing as how EpIV kind of pioneered the style - or did it?

Actually, I believe it was John Anderson who did it with his Dante's Gate (Doom version / Doom 2 version and Crossing Acheron (Doom version / Doom 2 version. He actually contributed one of the E4 maps too you know :)

Well... Anderson did use a "gothic" theme, particularly in that second map of the Dante series but the theme already existed in DOOM in a very clear form: E3M5: Unholy Cathedral and E3M7: Limbo.

NiGHTMARE said:

I have? Maybe I'm just being thick, I don't recall releasing any E2 themed maps :)

The two maps you just released (Wasted), whilst not EpII as such really have a feel of bases that with just a little more of the daemonic about them would be good near the start of an EpII feeling level set.

Stylistically they are not pure EpII (nor do I suppose you intended them to be) but I have always felt Wasted1 had that kind of ominous feel to it. With a sprinkling of EpII style texture work and some evidence of a curious map structure that could be conceived of as an anomaly, and evidence of some kind of disaster (that nasty nukage spillage had to come from somewhere)... Well, it's not too much of an imagination stretch is it? :-)