Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomsday

More than one Teleporter in a DOOM 2 Map

Question

I am using Doom Builder 2 for my maps and I always have a problem with making more than one teleporter, I know how to make a teleporter work but if I want one teleporter to go to a different location when I already have one on my map it just goes to the teleporter destination that was used on the first teleporter. Sorry if this question has been asked before.
I am also using the classic Doom 2 Format for my maps.

7 answers to this question

Teleporters can only ever be linked to a specific sector. There's no way to make it go to a new sector without something like ACS anyway, which is only supported in Hexen originally, but some ports like GZDoom allow for it in all games it supports as long as you use the right map format. Since you're sticking to the Doom map format, however, this is not going to be possible, as GZDoom only allows it for UDMF or Doom-in-Hexen formats.

Unless you're saying you're making a second teleporter and want it to go somewhere else, and are confused as to why it's spitting the player out at your first teleporter's destination. In which case, you're not setting the teleporter properly:

1. The linedef's tag should be set to the same sector you want with its own identical tag. Your first teleporter will have the linedefs and destination sector tagged as 1 (usually - depends on what you did in your map), so your second one should use the tag of 2 instead. Note that some other stuff also requires tags, but generally speaking, the way to think of it is that a tagged linedef will trigger an action in the sector that has the same tag.
  2. Within that sector, place a Teleport Destination Thing (Type 14), and make sure it's aimed in the initial direction you want the player to be facing.

By and large, that's all you really need to make them work.

Note that if you did it right, Doom Builder 2 should have arrows stretching between the sectors if they've been set up right. They will point to the destination sector acted upon by the linedef, or in the case of teleporters, more accurately they will point to the Teleporter Destination thing. If this doesn't happen, your teleporters are broken somehow.

21 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Note that if you did it right, Doom Builder 2 should have arrows stretching between the sectors if they've been set up right. They will point to the destination sector acted upon by the linedef, or in the case of teleporters, more accurately they will point to the Teleporter Destination thing. If this doesn't happen, your teleporters are broken somehow.

The event lines were added in GZDB and are not present in DB2.

To sum up what Dark Pulse said, if the Teleport line is tagged as 0, and the sector with the teleport destination is also tagged as 0, it will only work there. If you tag the line as 1, it will spawn you in the sector tagged as 1, and so on. You always want to start with tag 1, not 0, as 0 is seen as "no tag" and can cause some glitching.

1 hour ago, boris said:

The event lines were added in GZDB and are not present in DB2.

My bad, thought that was DB2 and not GZDB.

3 hours ago, Doomsdλy1993 said:

if I want one teleporter to go to a different location when I already have one on my map it just goes to the teleporter destination that was used on the first teleporter.

You can "fake" conditional teleports by way of using "W1 teleport" lines, afaik. It all depends on how the map is built and connected, however.

The idea here is to use a teleport line that gets "used up" after being triggered once, which also prevents players from activating a later teleport line right away. Having said that, you'd still need the W1 line with its own destination and tag plus the desired location to warp to, and you'd then need another teleport action "behind" that, also with individual tags.

It may or may not work for your map, but perhaps this helps.

11 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

The linedef's tag should be set to the same sector you want with its own identical tag. Your first teleporter will have the linedefs and destination sector tagged as 1 (usually - depends on what you did in your map), so your second one should use the tag of 2 instead. Note that some other stuff also requires tags, but generally speaking, the way to think of it is that a tagged linedef will trigger an action in the sector that has the same tag.

Wow. Was it that simple? I didn't even think of doing that. Thanks!