Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheNoob_Gamer

Things speedrunners/players (or yourself) do that annoy you?

I think I'd be more interested to see a "things Doom players do that annoy you" thread by now.

You are watching a demo from a high-profile Doom player. The demo is about to end, you are about to admire the player's godlike skill, then suddenly he (or she) does something that slightly annoy you.
So, title. Including yourself when playing through a random WAD.
For me it would be killing a lone, low-tier enemy (e.g zombie, imp) with a SSG.

I like when people can SSG a lone low-tier when ammo is in sufficient excess, even if the odd imp takes two SSG shots because it's too far or high and gets bad spread RNG. Weapon swapping takes time, thus can be slower if you're just killing one or two monsters, and if it gets constant it can produce a herky-jerky watch. Although it depends. It can also be pleasant to watch in a 'contemplative' way. 

I also like when people feel no obligation to clear rooms one by one, before proceeding or triggering switches. Leaving stuff alive is often a good approach, not to mention it can be more fun to watch. Again, depends. 

Could go on, but the common thread is I like pragmatism and versatility, rather than the player robotically taking a single script to every map. Using a rocket on a zombie can be great in one map, but horrible in another. Speeding can be great in one map, but bad in another. And so on.

The same can be said of viewer perception. My experience is people aren't reliable critics when they don't outclass the person they are evaluating or aren't a speedrunner or similar caliber player with a nuanced understanding. It is easy to think you spot 'mistakes' in a run but not realize when they might be unimportant. It is easy for even a casual viewer to spot mistakes of commission, but mistakes of omission -- which are super important -- are a whole different ballpark. So I'd prefer most people watch for entertainment, rather than being too critical. I guess do it if you want, but prepare for blowback if someone who knows better thinks you're wrong. 

Edited by rdwpa

I design most of my stuff to have little shortcuts and timesavers for speedrunners and also make sure to be 100% compatible with speedrunning ports of choice but my stuff literally never gets run, that annoys me.

Real answer: I’ve never been annoyed (or maybe bothered is a more accurate word) when watching a speedrunner play. Even when I notice a flaw in their run it doesn’t bother me because flawless runs are excruciating to get right.

It happens a the time when I’m spectating in DM though. Someone with virtually no lag (a pipedream in Australia) ignoring a million opportunities at huuuge multikills, walking with a BFG into a crowded room then firing it in the only spot where it’s guaranteed to miss. 

I’m not annoyed so much by the lack of skill, everyone has to start somewhere, but I’m annoyed by the fact that their connection is so pristine, so beautiful, and yet it hardly matters. Then there’s me over here, ping of 250 if I’m lucky, fighting the constant shaky earthquake that is lag and eeking out a few frags on the rare occasion that bullets come out of the gun when I press ‘fire’.

I’ve got connection envy hardcore.

anyone who plays a hardware accelerated port and leaves on texture filtering is dead to me, I don't care if you can finish E1M1 in 7 seconds, you're dead to me.

20 minutes ago, BBQgiraffe said:

anyone who plays a hardware accelerated port and leaves on texture filtering is dead to me, I don't care if you can finish E1M1 in 7 seconds, you're dead to me.

Haha, this. It seems like every speedrunner I see on YouTube has texture/sprite filtering turned on. Does it make you faster? I'd like to know so I'll consider it.

Hmm, can't say I've ever really been annoyed by anything that players themselves do. My own personal grievance comes from the act of watching runs themselves, especially from prboom or other limit-removing or vanilla ports. I find that it can make me really nauseous if I spend too much time watching them, and I think it's something to do with the combination of the jerky, unpredictable movement mixed with the lower, pixel-y resolution and textures. I'd be the literal worst Ironman league judge, as I'd be throwing up before ever getting half-way through everyone's runs.

1 hour ago, Juza said:

It seems like every speedrunner I see on YouTube has texture/sprite filtering turned on.

I never knew PrB+ or GLB+ even had texture filtering or sprite filtering.

1 hour ago, Juza said:

Does it make you faster?

Of course not.

1 minute ago, RonnieJamesDiner said:

I find that it can make me really nauseous if I spend too much time watching them

That's called "simulation sickness", and I have that problem too. Though, for me it gets more intense the less my brain agrees with what the runner is doing, and it's particularly problematic when people during twitch streams straferun along a wall while humping it for the odd secret. I get nauseous, even start sweating if I keep watching, and yeah a slight desire to throw up also comes into play eventually.

Thankfully it's not something that happens all the time, and not with every demo/runner. I can watch most runs just fine, like ancalagon's or j4rio's runs (even though he has pretty high mouse-sensitivity), but when I see a totally unplanned and poorly routed demo where my brain disagrees a lot of the time with decisions made and general movement... Not good...

1 hour ago, BBQgiraffe said:

It can have the advantage of reducing visual noise from the pixelation and overall improved visibility. Same with runners who play with increased gamma. It looks awful but at least Spectres are more visible.

My take is less about speedrunning and more when it comes to watching casual playthrough streams. People will sit on 100 rockets and 600 cells while plinking away at 3 Barons with an SSG in an IWAD or any other wad with classic gameplay. No dude, there isn't a fight coming up where you'll need those 100 rockets you've been saving!

3 hours ago, DuckReconMajor said:

i wish there was more UV-Speed. People seem to prefer UV-Max

In my case, I wish there was more NM100S runs for some maps, I kind of tried to do that with several maps and some doable NM-Speed maps become a lot more difficult, though I kind of liked the rush of it.

5 hours ago, DuckReconMajor said:

i wish there was more UV-Speed. People seem to prefer UV-Max

While this is true for the last >6 years, when I was starting, in 2009-2010, it was the opposite, with the most active players: xepop, dew, Guiddqd, Kimo Xvirus and others, doing short runs, mostly Speed/Pacifist. And this may change again.

Insist on playing ultra violence cos ur so hardcore dude.

Bitch and moan that the mod is hard.

Insist on save-spamming through the whole thing, bitching and moaning all the while, instead of switching to another difficulty setting cos ur so hardcore dude.

When a runner has the opportunity to limit the number of lost souls spawned from a dead PE by hugging it and sacrificing a bit of health, but they play it safe because they perceive not taking damage as an imperative.

On 12/9/2019 at 3:20 AM, Impie said:

Insist on save-spamming through the whole thing, bitching and moaning all the while, instead of switching to another difficulty setting cos ur so hardcore dude.

Regardless of difficulty I will save-spam through anything. I am a coward.

I'd save spam through my own life if i was able to.