Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
grandgreed

Heretic Neural Texture Pack

I'm looking through your work here and, correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the artwork has 3x the fidelity of the original sprites? I would strongly suggest you start with your large upscales (8x) use a bilinear method to reduce them to 4x, and finally using nearest neighbor, reduce them further to 2x. The problem I'm seeing with many neural projects now, they are trying to get away with higher resolution images than what is reasonable. AI has been able to do some incredible things with upscaling... but the larger the final outbut, the more abstract the outcome. Doubling the original resolution seems to be the sweet spot between higher fidelity and maintaining the integrity of the original design.

I would strongly suggest maintaining a 2x scale for every asset in the game.

I second that. Overshooting the "highresness" is actually rather looking weird than better. The point of the project should be to still look like vanilla, but with subtle yet noticable visual improvements. If it's exceeding 2x scale, it often feels like you are using a common highres pack with custom-made/-recreated assets.

Edited by NightFright

1 hour ago, NightFright said:

I second that. Ovetshooting the "highresness" is actually rather looking weird than better. The point of the project should be to still look like vanilla, but with subtle yet noticable visual improvements. If it's exceeding 2x scale, it often feels like you are using a common highres pack with custom-made/-recreated assets.

I like current 4x version, and I don't like doom 2x version, so waiting for a moment when author of doom neural pack will update his sprites to 4x or 8x

From my point of view, heretic and hexen sprites looking awesome (with 4x), and will look much worse in 2x

From my point of view, original vanilla idea is saved in this (and hexen) pack, and has big difference from hi-res packs, which doesn't save the original idea

So in case author will decide to create 2x version, I STRONGLY recommend to leave 4x version untouched, meaning that we should have 2 different versions - 2x and 4x, so users like me will always have the possibility to download 4x version (which is better from my point of view)

For example, if we talk about 2x version of doom, I really don't see much difference from vanilla 1x version (that's why I want 4x or 8x version for Doom). Yes, I understand that 4x and 8x for doom can be cartoonish, but I hope that authors will adjust neural algorighm parameters so we will have non-cartoonish vanilla-like 4x

Also I want the same for Strife

3 hours ago, theleo_ua said:

waiting for a moment when author of doom neural pack will update his sprites to 4x or 8x

This will never happen. The quality of the Doom neutral upscale is directly related to the process of taking the 8x and 6x updates, combining them, and scaling them down to 2x.

On 12/9/2019 at 4:10 AM, Scuba Steve said:

This will never happen. The quality of the Doom neutral upscale is directly related to the process of taking the 8x and 6x updates, combining them, and scaling them down to 2x.

Which process authors of Heretic and Hexen neural packs has?

I just wanted to say thanks for this pack Im really enjoying it. Im gonna take a look for same packs for hexen and its dlc and hexen II. Greetings.