Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
some guy who made a wad

OK who is the other doomguy in the box art

The player character doesn't even have a name. Doom's story is deliberately simple.

Oh don't mind him that's jeff. People forget he exists but jeff is the reason you find all the goodies that you do throughout DooM. I mean, how else would you find so much health and ammo in Hell?

19 minutes ago, Gez said:

He's the real Doomguy, the one in front is obviously toast.

This makes a lot of sense, as I do not see any medkits or stimpacks nearby. At least he has the green armor.

I always thought they were meant to be Barons, mainly because of the horns. This poster is clearly from the POV of a Baron who saw a Cyberdemon and thought "OH EM GEE that arm cannon is soooo stylish, gonna have one made up for my bad self". The Baron on the bottom left is smiling and giving a compliment on the arm cannon. The Baron who's perspective we're following was put in a really good mood by that comment - he saw that other Baron who already had an arm cannon (the one who is about to kill Doomguy) and was super jealous, so a compliment was all he needed to lift his spirits.

This shit is canon and pretty crucial to Doom's story, not sure why it's overlooked so often.

The baron of Hell was the first enemy designed for the game, and quite possibly the only monster design for which concept art existed by Don Ivan Punchatz made that title art. But the idea of having "tech demons" -- demons with grafted weapons -- was present in the Doom Bible, so he probably felt he could improvise some barons with arm cannons. And heck, we have cyber-barons and cybruisers now.

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Models

Seven Doom characters were built as sculptures during the development of Doom. The first models - the Doomguy, baron of Hell and cyberdemon - were sculpted by Adrian Carmack. Working on them proved to be more time-consuming than he expected; for this reason, id Software eventually hired Gregor Punchatz, owner of the TXFX company, to build the rest of the models (the arch-vile, mancubus, revenant and spiderdemon). Although all of the monsters modeled by Punchatz were initially intended to appear in the first game, only the spiderdemon would actually appear there; the others were finished during the development of Doom II.

It's important to keep in mind that concept art of the creatures existed before models could be made.

CqB9I8R.jpg

The imp and demon were among the first monsters to be created, but they're pure pixel art -- they didn't have a physical model made before hand, and it's unclear whether there was paper concept art of them made. In any case, it's obvious there's nothing imp-like in the cover art demons, they don't have spikes or a unhinged jaw.

3 hours ago, Gez said:

He's the real Doomguy, the one in front is obviously toast.

the 'story' of doom is that you are the last member of a team.  Maybe both are toast?

Edited by Mk7_Centipede

I once heard somewhere that they made that guy into the player character from Doom 3. Don't know how accurate that is though.

Its a Voodoo Doll which gained awareness.

iD Software was ahead of its time on multiple levels: Some things we just didn't know would become a thing years later.

On 12/9/2019 at 3:50 AM, Doomkid said:

He's the subtle advertisement for multiplayer.

To be put more derivative to the box art, co-op.

1 minute ago, ant said:

Where are the third and fourth players? :P

the third died to an imp in e1m1 and the other got stuck because he couldn't find a blue key

48 minutes ago, bobsnowmexican said:

and the other got stuck because he couldn't find a blue key

By then, a Pinky probably ate him.