Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
st0agie

2019 CACOWARD PREDICTIONS?

4 minutes ago, The_SloVinator said:

Wish there was an award for some new mappers. Like "Noob mapper of the year" or something like that. That would be pretty sweet.

There is a section on the cacowards about the most promising newcomers, with shout outs to people mostly new to the doom modding scene

These days, the strongest new mapper in a given year is likely to get an award of some kind anyway -- Viggles's Cacoward for Breach, anotak's Cacoward for Lilith, Nootrac's runner-up for Demonastery, etc. This has been an interesting issue to deal with in writing the Most Promising Newcomers feature -- we want to keep the intended purpose of spotlighting people who didn't get awards, but there are also award-winners who are coming out of nowhere with interesting stories and doing some pretty mind-blowing things.

3 hours ago, Not Jabba said:

These days, the strongest new mapper in a given year is likely to get an award of some kind anyway -- Viggles's Cacoward for Breach, anotak's Cacoward for Lilith, Nootrac's runner-up for Demonastery, etc. This has been an interesting issue to deal with in writing the Most Promising Newcomers feature -- we want to keep the intended purpose of spotlighting people who didn't get awards, but there are also award-winners who are coming out of nowhere with interesting stories and doing some pretty mind-blowing things.

This is why I'm personally holding a candle for elend this year. Hurt was his second map, and as he explained, largely a learning exercise to boot. Even if there isn't room to appropriately commend his efforts with the Cacowards this year (the lineup is just insane), he's someone I'm absolutely keen on keeping a watchful eye going into the future. 

My prediction is Ling is hinting toward a 25th anniversary of his precious dOoM tWO, complete with a lecture on why people who prefer Ultimate Doom are just nostalgic. 

In other news, his save-game map was really cool and if he gave himself a caco for it I’d stand and clap. 

in other other news, Eviternity was cool. 

edit: I think his save game map was probably not this year (edit2:it was 2017 oops) but I still stand by my statement

Edited by DuckReconMajor

Sure, I'll have a little fun here.

Supercharge will get at least a mention if not the award for gameplay mod.

Eviternity and SIGIL won't get Cacowards because they already have tons of publicity and golly gee whiz, the staff decides to shine the spotlight on releases which are quality but don't get that level of attention.

There may be some gentle mocking about how 49 nominations in the Mentionation thread carry no more weight than 2 would.

Has anyone suggested Legions of Bones yet?

Enemy focused mods feel a bit rare and this one is cool.

Spoiler

While at it, December 10th is also the day that Youtube COPPA thing happens, so i suggest to archive/preserve/save any Doom video before something happens, specially historical pieces like the classic Doom channel that demonstrate things like how the Unmaker works, level secrets or this video on this thread of mine about the SMM/Manc sprites being made:

I spoilered this in case it's off topic but it might as well be a big deal to some people in the community.

I also realized Doom Eternal being released in March means there's time for mods to take elements from the game before the 2020 Cacowards.

Maybe then, MetaDoom could get something because that's the one mod i'm surprised hasn't been in the Cacowards yet.

Not even Midnight is making a clickbait video about it.

8 hours ago, Mk7_Centipede said:

How come Doom 2016 didnt get a cacoward?

Neither did Doom, Doom II, Final Doom, Doom 64, Doom 3, Resurrection of Evil, Doom RPG, Doom II RPG, Doom: Resurrection, the Doom comic, any of the Doom novelization, the 2005 Doom movie, nor the 2019 Doom movie.

It's as if the Cacowards were for community-created content or something. Weird.

(Okay, No Rest for the Living stands as the lone exception to that, but hey.)

Just pitching my prediction that Elend and their second map, Hurt, will get some kind of spotlight. That map is mindblowing, doubly so given the circumstances.

I'd like to see Hellforged, Verdant Citadel, and Lunar Catastrohpe to name a few, but the competition this year is so strong that it's anyone's guess! I also have absolutely no idea what to expect the "big surprise" this year is, colour me intrigued! 

I got the "closest" prediction. I hope it wasn't for the "Cacowards are canceled" part, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't for the "review of Doom: Pack II" part. Remains the "30 pages" part.

I think the "big surprise" is really a "surprise, it's big". A king-size Cacowards with a lot more content than usual. After all, this is the 25th anniversary for Doom II, Heretic, the very first Doom console ports, but also and perhaps more importantly for the Doom Editing Utilities and the /idgames archive. It's also Doomworld's 21st anniversary, meaning these forums are now old enough to drink alcohol in the USA. I'm not sure if it's a good idea for them to do so, but, legally, they can.

i heard there was going to be a multiplayer cacoward this year.  Gez is probably on point with the notion that this year (seeing as there is such depth of quality content) will simply have a uch longer list of winners.  Why not 25 cacowards?

Cacowards come out today right?
Well I guess my pick will be from Redundancy, Noiser's D4V then. Haven't played Eviternity yet.

Oh, and also Jaska's Lost Civilization. I'll be kind of pissed if it doesn't (at least) get a mention there.

Edited by TheNoob_Gamer

9 minutes ago, Mk7_Centipede said:

i heard there was going to be a multiplayer cacoward this year.  Gez is probably on point with the notion that this year (seeing as there is such depth of quality content) will simply have a uch longer list of winners.  Why not 25 cacowards?

There's been multiple multiplayer winners if you looked at the last few cacowards though. There's been at least one every year before it was expanded.

I wonder what write-ups will be made. I've made a few really excellent reviews and redone several of my previous ones this year but the ones for the wards will still be better than mine I bet.

Edited by NuMetalManiak

4 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Cacowards come out today right?

Depending on timezones - "Tomorrow" by virtue of UK time, heh. :P

But yeah, it's very soon.

12 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

Just pitching my prediction that Elend and their second map, Hurt, will get some kind of spotlight. That map is mindblowing, doubly so given the circumstances.

I'd like to see Hellforged, Verdant Citadel, and Lunar Catastrohpe to name a few, but the competition this year is so strong that it's anyone's guess! I also have absolutely no idea what to expect the "big surprise" this year is, colour me intrigued! 

Do you think Eviternity's gonna win?  [/deadpan] [/wry smile]

8 minutes ago, Revenant100 said:

I will make the daring prediction that the Cacowards will be released within the next 24 hours.

Within the next 66 minutes, and 6 seconds.

On 12/6/2019 at 12:55 AM, Gaia74 said:

Eviternity
Sigil
Paradise
Slaughter Spectrum

Hurt
Alien Bastards
Mapwhich
Doom 4 Vanilla

Bloom

at least 3 will be cacowards

Well