Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

Excited For Eternal?

lol i love the: 'D1 and D2 were the only Doom games worth playing' oh ok, so keep playing them then. lol. I grew up on D1 and D2 as well, but, i dunno, times change man, move with it or stay playing D1 and D2..... whatever, who cares.... people will like DE or not, thats just..... the way it fucking is. If you like D1 and D2..... keep playing them and shut up about D2016 and DE. if you like D2016 and DE then just remain calm about D1 and D2. People r really weird....

What that probably means is that they're only ones worth continuing to play. Tried replaying 2016 awhile back and I couldn't be bothered to continue past foundry. I admit it's probably mostly nostalgia but 2016 lacks a certain charm the originals had. I also disliked all the exposition. Story? In Doom? Not to mention all this nonsense attempting to tie it back to the originals in some way I keep hearing about. As this is my first post on this thread, no I'm not at all excited for Eternal. I was excited for 2016 until I assembled a rig that could play it. I wasn't disappointed with it. Just bored. Not to mention Eternal will have no traditional pvp in the form of dm or duel. Although with the way Quake Champions was handled, even if Eternals mp was developed in house, I don't think I could be bothered. Also with Bethesda/Zenimax as publisher I'm waiting on oodles of dlc that should have just been in the game from the start or microtransactions.

1 hour ago, guydude said:

Also with Bethesda/Zenimax as publisher I'm waiting on oodles of dlc that should have just been in the game from the start or microtransactions.

I hardly disagree with this though - all past Bethesda published DLCs were worthwhile or at least mostly worthwhile (thinking primarily of Oblivion and Skyrim expansions).

I don't doubt the DLC is going to be refreshing.

I tried so so hard to get into Skyrim but it was so dull. Never tried earlier elder scrolls. BGS and Bethesda Softworks/Zenimax are two totally different beasts tho. One makes games and the other makes money. If dlc/mtx seems like it'll be profitable they'll put the pressure on id to make it and it'll be good cuz c'mon id is behind it. I'm not bashing 2016 or Eternal. 2016 was a good game just as Eternal will be. 2016's problem for me is that it has the replay value of a maze I already finished. I mean the line is still there and I'm just tracing over it. Classic Doom does too but I barely play vanilla anymore so retracing that line every now and again is kinda fun. I know 2016 had snapmap but just knowing it was mostly prefab environments totally took my appreciation and wonderment out of it as the creativity of the doom community was gimped.

1 hour ago, seed said:

I hardly disagree with this though - all past Bethesda published DLCs were worthwhile or at least mostly worthwhile (thinking primarily of Oblivion and Skyrim expansions).

Did you somehow forget about Horse Armor?

27 minutes ago, Cynical said:

Did you somehow forget about Horse Armor?

No.

But I still stand by my statement.

6 hours ago, seed said:

No.

But I still stand by my statement.

Remember when you had to unlock stuff by playing the game?

13 minutes ago, The Strife Commando said:

Yeah, like in... checks list... Doom 2016.

16 minutes ago, The Strife Commando said:

It's almost like it's still a thing.

3 hours ago, Pegg said:

Horse armor on my archviles gives them a great feeling of achievements and pride. 

if we are lucky, then bugthesda will release a seperate DLC with horse armor for every doom monster AND make sure the games has even more glitches and bugs than Fallout 76, if such a thing.... is even possible :-)

also... a seperate DLC for each level, weapon, powerup, item and decoration, while ensuring no 3rd party stuff can be used or added :-)

Whenever i see people complain about 2016 feeling repetitive, i feel like bringing up Matthewmatosis' video where he brings up differences between classic and new Doom.

At 08:54

Because the thing about the reboot is that even when there's enemy variety, the concept of enemy variety sometimes relies on level design for the sake of designing encounters.

So when 2016 relied a bit too much on arenas, some encounters felt similar.

And maybe this format let to some changes like Revenant rockets not feeling like they're actually homing at you or replacing Archviles with Summoner's. (this one is also because demon corpses disappear after a while but still)

I hope Eternal tries to make enemy encounters a bit more diverse and be creative with how they're placed because there should be potential with how a specific level can mess with the Carcass' shield for example.

I just placed a pre-order for this and this Slayer collection I keep seeing word of. It came as complete news to me when I was watching a UFC FN earlier this year as it was advertised on the mat. I am quite excited to see what is in store.

4 hours ago, SPIN (steam) said:

Pretty damn excited, but who are these people saying they're worried about eternal?

Probably the same people that think anything associated with the word Bethesda is automatically going to be terrible.

The game awards trailer mentioned in the other thread has a much more serious tone. I like this that since the original games were dark and serious too.

17 hours ago, igg said:

The game awards trailer mentioned in the other thread has a much more serious tone. I like this that since the original games were dark and serious too.

To an extent though. The originals had their serious moments but were never dead serious, as it can be seen in many intermission screens, some monster designs, MIDIs, sound effects, and so on. Doom was self-aware in its tone, not ultra serious and dark, but not going for the opposite and falling into parody territory either.

D64 was as serious as a classic Doom game ever got - that is, until you looked at the Mancubi and Cacodemons. But anyway, I am glad to hear is going for a more serious approach too.

Just thought of something that may never happen but could be good fanservice:

A toggle (or multiple) in the options that changes some gameplay aspects to make it closer to the classic games.

Some of these changes being:

* The BFG getting a similar tracer system so enemies near you in your prespective recieve damage, the closer they are to you, when the BFG projectile hits a wall and the weapon even shows some green wave to visualize this.

* Health potions actually go above normal health, even with 200 HP in mind.

* Armor absorbs less damage so you still lose a bit of health with it.

* Possessed soldiers shoot a bit of hitscan but with terribly predictable aim and they drop bullet ammo after death.

* Revenants can shoot slow but homing rockets that at times, you can even make them spin in an infinite circle loop until you or another enemy hit it.

* Pain Elementals summoning lost souls like independent enemies.

* Mancubi shooting two massive fireballs at once, even if not with the same pattern.

* Not sure how Archviles will work in this game but it'd be crazy if they perform their traditional fire attack while resurrection is done similarly to the GBA D2 port where they just remember where an enemy died just to respawn them.

Considering the old school designs and something like the classic sound pack, this idea could complement that.

It's also because Doom's gameplay is iconic and even if these new games don't have to be exactly the same as the classics, this could be a neat throwback since it focuses on Doom's gameplay.

Some maps could be less fun with these since they're not made with this in mind but this is mostly for fun.

Something i realized about the Sentinel Prime and the cultist base is how they seem to have a gothic castle/temple art direction and Hell is said to be possibly inspired by Doom 64 and Quake.

I know these worlds will have their own differences and props but in case they look like they share some similar ideas, that could be another reason for Eternal's Hell to lean a bit closer to classic Hell, since that could make it more unique compared to the Sentinel world and the cultist castle. (and also to make rooms and areas feel more different, in case there's too much "castle room" and "brick corridor", so there's also flesh and metal combined and abstract horrors)

No need to remove some ideas, just find ways to make different worlds more distinct i guess. (like creating new props and assets for the theme, really)

(and some occasional theme combinations)

With the Urdak and that bit in that one Battlemode map (and some of D4's MP maps), i can see Heaven having some variety in "textures" and props, if they make it parallel classic Hell in some ways. (like the mix of ancient temple and tech but i don't see what parallels the flesh... colorfull flowers and trees?)

Spoiler

Eternal is also giving me Eviternity vibes but i'm not sure if my computer can handle and i'm afraid if the wad is too long for me to like it, so i wonder if there's any similar wads with a similar direction of travelling through different themes, some that may or may not even use the same textures. (off topic i know) (i know about valiant too)

I'm also wondering about any future wads inspired by Eternal itself.

Edit: looking back at the existing footage, there are a bit more differences than i thought, so maybe i was just simplifying it in my mind.

Edited by whatup876 : fix, adding more

I’m in with the minority of fans who are not excited for this game. It’s just more brutal doom HD. Have never once enjoyed Brutal Doom, and so it makes sense I didn’t enjoy Doom 2016 once the hype of “NEW DOOM” went away, and seeing that the new game takes the rip and tear gimmick to a whole “new” level, I have decided to keep away from being hyped about this new game when I know I’m just going to find it dissatisfying.

I get why there are so many fans that like the game, and many of those fans are also ones who like Brutal Doom, but there’s some out there who like it but didn’t like BD. I have also seen people that were introduced to Doom with these games, and that has grown the community (which is never a bad thing). It’s just a matter of different strokes for different folks type of thing. It’s just not the Doom experience for me. 

What irritates me the most about these games though are the die hard fanboys who can’t take a different opinion from their own without resorting to insult or fighting over how their opinion is the right opinion because they see zero flaws in the new games. They defend this game like they have nothing else to do with their lives. You can’t criticize the game (for example stating that not having manual saves is inexcusable but someone will have to argue that there are games designed with checkpoints in mind... no fucking shit dumbass, that doesn’t mean this isn’t a criticism somebody can have on the game just because there are games designed around checkpoints). Every. Single. Time. I see someone even slightly say something negative about this game, hoards of fanboys come to the games defense.

Bottom line; It’s a game, not a cock, you don’t have to ride it so hard to have an opinion on it. You either feel it or you don’t. If you feel it, you want more, if you don’t, you find another one to insert. 

11 minutes ago, tsunstealer said:

I’m in with the minority of fans who are not excited for this game. It’s just more brutal doom HD. Have never once enjoyed Brutal Doom, and so it makes sense I didn’t enjoy Doom 2016 once the hype of “NEW DOOM” went away, and seeing that the new game takes the rip and tear gimmick to a whole “new” level, I have decided to keep away from being hyped about this new game when I know I’m just going to find it dissatisfying.

I get why there are so many fans that like the game, and many of those fans are also ones who like Brutal Doom, but there’s some out there who like it but didn’t like BD. I have also seen people that were introduced to Doom with these games, and that has grown the community (which is never a bad thing). It’s just a matter of different strokes for different folks type of thing. It’s just not the Doom experience for me. 

What irritates me the most about these games though are the die hard fanboys who can’t take a different opinion from their own without resorting to insult or fighting over how their opinion is the right opinion because they see zero flaws in the new games. They defend this game like they have nothing else to do with their lives. You can’t criticize the game (for example stating that not having manual saves is inexcusable but someone will have to argue that there are games designed with checkpoints in mind... no fucking shit dumbass, that doesn’t mean this isn’t a criticism somebody can have on the game just because there are games designed around checkpoints). Every. Single. Time. I see someone even slightly say something negative about this game, hoards of fanboys come to the games defense.

Bottom line; It’s a game, not a cock, you don’t have to ride it so hard to have an opinion on it. You either feel it or you don’t. If you feel it, you want more, if you don’t, you find another one to insert. 

Ok Doomer

I ordered a Switch a couple of days ago. I'm not sure about Doom Eternal, but I am kind of excited to finally be able to play Doom 64.

3 hours ago, tsunstealer said:

What irritates me the most about these games though are the die hard fanboys who can’t take a different opinion from their own without resorting to insult or fighting over how their opinion is the right opinion because they see zero flaws in the new games.

no fucking shit dumbass

Hm...

I wonder if it would be crazy to see the Whiplash underwater as if he could work as a demonic mermaid, sort of.

I can see them making up "Hell fish" with the Quake influence.

I also thought if a lion enemy would look out of place, because of that one stone lion face texture in the older games. (besides lions, we've had goat looking demons, "spider" demons, the snake-like Whiplash, even hellhounds/demon dogs...)

A centaur body enemy could work as a little Hexen tribute too.

I like to imagine a demonic centaur with a staff whose mechanic is that he can shoot spinning pillars of energy/fire, similar to those from that one E3 clip, so they spin in different angles (X, Y, Z) so they're somewhat tricky to avoid.

Or maybe a projetile that on itself "shoots" other projectiles while it travels. (i dunno, there could be a lot of ways to make projectiles feel different until you reach the breaking point i guess)

I also wonder if there could be a "cyber" lost soul, that doesn't die when they explode in contact and they can cause some shock/taser attack, sort of representing the classic melee based lost soul and even the role of a chainsaw enemy like the ones in D3 and D2RPG. (and also a tribute to the D3 LS and even that alpha/beta steel soul inside the invulsphere)

Something that goes bzzzzzzt if you're near enough or acts like a living rocket.

Spoiler

The existence of water and Heaven implies the slight possibility of a holy water pistol and we haven't seen the pistol yet.

colin-geller-colin-geller-lostsoul-1.jpg

16 minutes ago, whatup876 said:

I wonder if it would be crazy to see the Whiplash underwater as if he could work as a demonic mermaid, sort of.

I can see them making up "Hell fish" with the Quake influence.

I also thought if a lion enemy would look out of place, because of that one stone lion face texture in the older games. (besides lions, we've had goat looking demons, "spider" demons, the snake-like Whiplash, even hellhounds/demon dogs...)

A centaur body enemy could work as a little Hexen tribute too.

I like to imagine a demonic centaur with a staff whose mechanic is that he can shoot spinning pillars of energy/fire, similar to those from that one E3 clip, so they spin in different angles (X, Y, Z) so they're somewhat tricky to avoid.

Or maybe a projetile that on itself "shoots" other projectiles while it travels. (i dunno, there could be a lot of ways to make projectiles feel different until you reach the breaking point i guess)

I also wonder if there could be a "cyber" lost soul, that doesn't die when they explode in contact and they can cause some shock/taser attack, sort of representing the classic melee based lost soul and even the role of a chainsaw enemy like the ones in D3 and D2RPG. (and also a tribute to the D3 LS and even that alpha/beta steel soul inside the invulsphere)

Something that goes bzzzzzzt if you're near enough or acts like a living rocket.

Hide contents

The existence of water and Heaven implies the slight possibility of a holy water pistol and we haven't seen the pistol yet.

colin-geller-colin-geller-lostsoul-1.jpg

Love that lost soul image, the bottom left one looks like the three cyborg heads in that Doom Eternal lithograph from a few months ago.  Second from top right looks like Vic Rattlehead.