Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SovereignX9

Anyone going to participate in YouTuber Decino's next 100 player co-op stream?

Side note: why did he choose Odamex to host it on? For a more vanilla feel I guess? Figured he'd have it on Zandronum, given it has a much bigger player count than Odamex or ZDaemon

Edited by SovereignX9

Zandronum is capped at 64 players and ZDaemon is capped at 50 AFAIK Actually its 100. On paper, Odamex can go up to 255. Zandronum servers use exponentially more bandwidth and require exponentially more power to run, even idle ones. That many people in a Zandronum server would be the laggiest and most resource-hungry spectacle of multiplayer Dooming!

A good analogy is to think of Zandronum as a Mack Truck, Odamex as a small sedan, the bandwidth as a highway, and the amount of power needed as fuel. Yes, the truck has a lot more raw power, but it eats far more fuel and it consumes much more of the available space on the road.

Active ZD servers are nowhere near as hungry as Zand ones, very comprable to Odamex in terms of resources required.

Naturally, how resource-hungry a server is is dependent on how intensive the wads are and how many clients are connected and playing, but even in basic tests with 4 clients connected and only using iwad maps, Zand still uses far more than the other two.

The occasion where you need more than 64 players is extremely rare, so it’s understandable that Zandronum and ZD have the caps that they do. On top of all that, Zand (and ZD) still get a lot of traffic. The only MP port in need of advertising is Odamex!

I haven’t spoken to decino directly, but just throwing this out there as I’m sure it factored into his decision making.

Edited by Doomkid

6 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Zandronum is capped at 64 players and ZDaemon is capped at 50 AFAIK. On paper, Odamex can go up to 255. Zandronum servers use exponentially more bandwidth and require exponentially more power to run, even idle ones. That many people in a Zandronum server would be the laggiest and most resource-hungry spectacle of multiplayer Dooming!

A good analogy is to think of Zandronum as a Mack Truck, Odamex as a small sedan, the bandwidth as a highway, and the amount of power needed as fuel. Yes, the truck has a lot more raw power, but it eats far more fuel and it consumes much more of the available space on the road.

Active ZD servers are nowhere near as hungry as Zand ones, but still hungrier than Odamex.

The occasion where you need more than 64 players is extremely rare, so it’s understandable that Zandronum and ZD have the caps that they do. On top of all that, Zand (and ZD) still get a lot of traffic. The only MP port in need of advertising is Odamex!

I haven’t spoken to decino directly, but just throwing this out there as I’m sure it factored into his decision making.

That is more than likely why he chose Odamex. Very good explanation bro

When is this supposed to be?   Found his youtube with a crazy stress test video of 60+ players.   Map32 Go2It of Plutonia got way whacky laggy it seems though.

How are player starts handled for this?   Players set to pass through each other and just piled on coop starts?   Or some spacing out relative to those starts?

BTW, do you think it's a good idea to use a skin to look like a monster?

TBH playing with more than 20 people at once is pretty shitty on any port, this is just memes. Most maps are simply not big enough to accommodate so many people.

17 minutes ago, Decay said:

TBH playing with more than 20 people at once is pretty shitty on any port, this is just memes. Most maps are simply not big enough to accommodate so many people.

Well at least it sounds fun. People are playing with a (popular?) Doom youtuber, so they may shrug the lagging part off.
The only problem here though, is the timezone.

34 minutes ago, Gokuma said:

When is this supposed to be?   Found his youtube with a crazy stress test video of 60+ players.   Map32 Go2It of Plutonia got way whacky laggy it seems though.

How are player starts handled for this?   Players set to pass through each other and just piled on coop starts?   Or some spacing out relative to those starts?

BTW, do you think it's a good idea to use a skin to look like a monster?

I don't know much of the details, and tbh I don't really think Decino does either. I think it's just something he wants to try out as a fun thing for his viewers/subs.

And in general, a monster skin sounds pretty rad. But when you have 60+ doomguys standing around you, they may all try to kill you at once lol.

It'd be pretty funny to prank them like that tho 😂

On 12/9/2019 at 6:12 PM, SovereignX9 said:

It'd be pretty funny to prank them like that tho 😂

Well it's more like a prank on yourself but hilarious none the less as you fly across the map from 40 simultaneous SSG blasts.

It turns out ZDaemon supports up to 100 simultaneous players! Does anyone know what the peak number of connected players was during decino's test?

100 on the coop which kind of bombed out. 70 in the deathmatches and those games actually played fine (which was like, a sight to behold). Since then, there have been some hot hands on the code and we believe 254 players could connect and successfully play now.

1 hour ago, Ralphis said:

100 on the coop which kind of bombed out. 70 in the deathmatches and those games actually played fine (which was like, a sight to behold). Since then, there have been some hot hands on the code and we believe 254 players could connect and successfully play now.

Hope that's true, would love to be in Decino's next sesh