Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Old_Boom_Metal

What are the WADs for Doom 1 and 2 that are considered official?

So I have been trying to find the official Wad list for the original Doom games. After some digging around I have the following :

(please feel free to correct me as there seems to be a grey area of what is considered official or not)

- Ultimate Doom

- The Lost episodes of Doom

- Doom 2

- No Rest for the living

- Final Doom

- Master levels of Doom

- Doom 64

- Sigil

thanks

That's about it as far as official releases go. Though I hesitate to call SIGIL official, since it was neither licensed nor released by id to the best of my knowledge. Even if it was created by one of the original team members and got a physical edition.

So out of the unofficial wads are there any  that are acknowledged that belong in the Doom canon / lore ?  So for example some thing like Requiem, Alien Vendetta and No End in Sight. Kind of like a must play list (obviously fitting into the theme and storyline of Doom 1 and 2)

19 minutes ago, Old_Boom_Metal said:

So out of the unofficial wads are there any  that are acknowledged that belong in the Doom canon / lore ?  So for example some thing like Requiem, Alien Vendetta and No End in Sight. Kind of like a must play list (obviously fitting into the theme and storyline of Doom 1 and 2)

Nope. And to be honest half the IWADs don't really fit into official canon either beyond a cursory "and then there were more demons!"

Due to Doom 2016 the most commonly accepted canonical storyline is Doom 1 -> Doom 2 -> Doom 64. It's been implied id Software will either prove or disprove this theory in Doom Eternal, but for now that's the most commonly accepted setup.

The other official wads kind of just constitute "the continuing adventures of Doomguy". 

No Rest for the Living and Sigil are both getting added to Bethesda's recent Doom ports. Since Bethesda owns id, does that make Sigil official now?

It really depends on what you are defining "Official" as.

If it is just commercial products made/published by Id then you can just narrow down that list to the obvious picks of Doom/Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom, Master Levels, No Rest for the Living...as long as you stick to PC. Assuming we include Doom 64 that would also open the way for all of the other officially licensed ports on consoles and handheld (3DO, NES, PSX, XBOX, Jaguar, Gameboy, Doom RPG, etc). Narrowing further to just Commercial Doom products you can further add the likes of the Lost Levels of Doom, Perdition's Gate, Hell To Pay, Sigil, and perhaps even all of the D!zone and similar shovelware CD's released. You can probably get even messier if you included Products using or even vaguely based on the Doom engine like Hacx, Chex Quest, Action Doom 2, Strife, Heretic, Hexen, even Harmony.

Narrowing this list down to just what is recognized by Bethesda/Id, We are back to the basics of Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom, Master Levels, No Rest for the Living, while also having Doom 64. This might get more interesting with how they are going to have curated content available for (I think?) free on their most recent console ports of Doom, as that would obviously include Sigil as official along with potentially any other WADS they were to add to that list.

Finally in regards to Official meaning Canon, that is such a huge topic of speculation for such an ironically simple plot that going over all that mess would easily take wayyy to long to go into. To put it simply, unless Eternal says anything specific about it we are left with a vague and confusing Schrodinger style situation where all, some, or none of the previous Doom content (both 'Official' and fan made) are equally likely to be fully, partially, or not canon at all.

TL;DR Doom is fun, Doom is valid.