Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SovereignX9

What is your favorite demon (and version of it) ?

I'm sure this topic has been discussed on this site 3957382924729 times, but since Doom Eternal will be out in March and brings a bunch of different designs for the same demons we've all loved and mutilated (i.e. Baron is grey), and given the vast majority of the cast of demons have gotten different designs (officially) a good number of times over the years, I figure I'd ask the biggest Doom site on the internet the question above.

Me personally, my favorite demon is the Hell Knight. Such a fine middle point between being a big, badass demon, while not being too dangerous to the point to where he isn't seen often in a level designing perspective. My favorite design of the Hell Knight is it's design from Doom 3. The Hell Knight finally gets its own character and personality, leaning away from the "recolored Baron" look. Some people prefer the recolored Baron look because it's nostalgic, but I personally don't. With that I'm so glad that Doom 2016 & Doom Eternal did and will continue to give the Knight its own unique design.

So, what's your favorite demon and version/design of it? There's quite a bit of options :)

I like the Baron of Hell from Doom 2016. They took the cliche "big red devil" concept and made it work again. Mainly by turning it into a lightning-fast hulking great bruiser. Not to be trifled with even if it's not still not properly scary.

The Pinky in Doom 64. It's design and sounds in that game are utterly the shit of nightmares. The quintessential monster. A giant jaw with horns and red eyes running at you, very quickly for it's size. And those claws... At the same time this beast is like 7 feet tall and 1000 pounds at least. They may go down easy, but their appearance has always left a deep impact on me. Looking at that thing just has this automatic "whoa! *turn and run* reaction the first time you see it, (at least for me). The first Doom game I played was Doom 64 in the year 1999. I was 7. I remember it just so happened to be about 2 weeks before the Columbine shootings when I rented it from Blockbuster. I remember that my dad was like "You want that game?" I was like "yeah!" he said "alright I guess". After my parents heard the stupid news channels say that Doom was part of the inspiration behind the shootings, I wasn't allowed to play it for about 6 years after that.  They lied to me and told me "Doom was outlawed in the USA" LMFAO! Anyways, being that young and seeing that monster, coupled with the horrifying sound track at the time and dark lighting scarred me so much so that I have had multiple nightmares of being chased by them. I'm planning to one day get the Doom 64 pinky tattooed on my calf. I grew up not remembering much about that game, except that monster and the horrifying sound it made when it opened it maw to bite you. Yes to some this monster may look silly or cliche, but imagine the idea of not only being young and seeing that, but also the idea of actually laying eyes on that thing in real life if it were real would be traumatizing beyond words. Now the Pinky in classic Doom, that's another story, that dude always just looked goofy to me lol. Still love him though.

Edited by Dubbagdarrel

I like the Cyberdemon, Spider Mastermind and Icon of Sin. All versions of them. I think the Icon of Sin is my favorite though because of its awesome design. The Cyberdemon is my favorite monster to put in maps, because of how deadly it can be. They all have really cool designs though, in my opinion. 

On 12/12/2019 at 5:18 PM, Dubbagdarrel said:

The Pinky in Doom 64. It's design and sounds in that game are utterly the shit of nightmares. The quintessential monster. A giant jaw with horns and red eyes running at you, very quickly for it's size. And those claws... At the same time this beast is like 7 feet tall and 1000 pounds at least. They may go down easy, but their appearance has always left a deep impact on me. Looking at that thing just has this automatic "whoa! *turn and run* reaction the first time you see it, (at least for me). The first Doom game I played was Doom 64 in the year 1999. I was 7. I remember it just so happened to be about 2 weeks before the Columbine shootings when I rented it from Blockbuster. I remember that my dad was like "You want that game?" I was like "yeah!" he said "alright I guess". After my parents heard the stupid news channels say that Doom was part of the inspiration behind the shootings, I wasn't allowed to play it for about 6 years after that.  They lied to me and told me "Doom was outlawed in the USA" LMFAO! Anyways, being that young and seeing that monster, coupled with the horrifying sound track at the time and dark lighting scarred me so much so that I have had multiple nightmares of being chased by them. I'm planning to one day get the Doom 64 pinky tattooed on my calf. I grew up not remembering much about that game, except that monster and the horrifying sound it made when it opened it maw to bite you. Yes to some this monster may look silly or cliche, but imagine the idea of not only being young and seeing that, but also the idea of actually laying eyes on that thing in real life if it were real would be traumatizing beyond words. Now the Pinky in classic Doom, that's another story, that dude always just looked goofy to me lol. Still love him though.

That's crazy that your parents told you it was outlawed in the U.S. 😂😂 tbh if I was in that same situation my parents probably would've done the same thing lmao 😂😂 I think the only 2 demons to ever give make me go "f*ck this I'm out" is the classic Arch Vile and the Cherub from Doom 3. Freaky stuff man. 

Quite a unique experience you've had with the 64 Pinky I must say. 

3 hours ago, SovereignX9 said:

That's crazy that your parents told you it was outlawed in the U.S. 😂😂 tbh if I was in that same situation my parents probably would've done the same thing lmao 😂😂 I think the only 2 demons to ever give make me go "f*ck this I'm out" is the classic Arch Vile and the Cherub from Doom 3. Freaky stuff man. 

Quite a unique experience you've had with the 64 Pinky I must say. 

My parents keeping me from the game is probably what gave me such an affinity for Doom in general. I would go to my friends house to play it and if I told them, I'd be in trouble. My dad was like, "NO DOOM IN THIS HOUSE!" LOL Years later, it got to the point where my parents were just like "idk play it if you want to" like they completely forgot what they were upset about with it. haha Guess it was the panic of the time.

Gotta go with Doom 2 Arch-Vile and Doom 3 Hell Knight. I love playing Plutonia 11, got it pretty optimized.

Cyberdemon. Classic version!

The Cyberdemon sort of embodies the iD aesthetic; monster cyborg nightmare that's intent on nothing more than your death. It's a simple design, yet so iconic. It's also the kind of foe that, not matter how many times you best him, still commands respect and demands your full attention, or you WILL be paste. 

Doom 64's cyberdemon always seemed...strange and off somehow, compared to the original. 

Doom 3's was the worst IMO. Never liked that one. 

Doom 2016's was a chubby Moose.  Better than 3, but no classic. 

Doom Eternal's is close, but elephant feet are a bit strange. Still a good version from what we've seen though, thanks to the classic motif's. 

On 12/13/2021 at 9:16 PM, gabekyle260 said:

dafaq

you will never approach the true mans world with that sort of thinking

Definitely the classic Archvile. As frustrating as they can be, they add a lot of depth to the battle (when used appropriately)