Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Not Jabba

The 2019 Cacowards

In my humble opinion SIGIL deserves a Caco. It was the biggest thing that happened with DOOM this year. Tons of press, hype, and community discussion. Aesthetically beautiful and imposing, sharpening DOOM hell themes to a razor’s edge. It was a unique gameplay experience unlike most other new projects, many of which felt to me like reskins of past megawads.

Edited by NaturalTvventy

4 minutes ago, Remilia Scarlet said:

So anyone else get a sudden burst of inspiration after reading the Cacowards this year? :D

Definitely! I got the urge to do some mapping and check out some new wads. Doom Zero in particular has been inspiring and a blast to play through - I'm happy to see it mentioned.

Congratulations to all the winners and runners up, and also to the entire Cacowards team for their wonderful work, this year and every year. And thank you very much for the Cacoward. I'm honestly shocked. I hold this community in very high esteem and it's an honor to be included among so many great creative talents. And thank you @Not Jabba for your write-up on Shotgun Symphony, which left me about as stunned as the award itself -- but in a very good way. :)

Allow me to join everyone and give a shout-out to @Jimmy for his well deserved Espi Award. I see him everywhere, uploading textures, making wonderful maps, composing fantastic music, and being an all-around great person. Thanks for all you do. And here's hoping I can participate in the next JOM. Scheduling conflicts have kept me out 2 years in a row, so I'm crossing my fingers for the next one.

I look forward to playing all the winners and runners up as I increase my Doom activity in the coming year. I was already moving in this direction and eliminating activities which give me less soul food than DW, so now I'll just accelerate the process. And to my buddy @dobu gabu maru, I promise that E2 won't take another 22 years. 10, max. ;D

Great 30k words.  and nice list of winners.  congrats everyone.

nothing was entirely shocking.  the winners were well deserving because of the amount of work they put into their projects.  everything came together with jimmy, df, and ukiro nailing some well deserved prestige.  Everyone else should be happy to be on the list, including the honorable monetions.  this was certainly well executed i think celebrated the best of what the doom community has to offer.

music, texture, and design- but most importantly dedication.  this is the recipe for quality.

Edited by Mk7_Centipede

Congrats to @Jimmy he deserves it, he single-handedly had the biggest influence on me as a mapper out of anyone I had a chance to speak with in this community, his 30in30-4 evershrine midis opened me to a completely different level of mapping, mapping around the midis. That's how Evershrine was born (originally in Freud 2), 3 of the best maps I ever made, featuring the 30in30-4 evershrine (and one more other midi from that album) midis that were originally WIPs at the time.

I am grateful that his music widened my horizons as a mapper (though I have little to none time to map nowadays)

No amount of love would be sufficient to describe the Doom Community in earnest - Truly, they are a bastion of creativity, ingenuity and above all - Hope.

• Hope that, aside all the retro shooters that are now the current trend, some studio's look at these community WADS and find their inspiration.
  • Hope, that the DOOM editing formula remains as unique as it always were and motivates aspiring talents to have a go at an engine that invites you to keep your creative tab wide open.
  • And lastly, Hope towards an even better tomorrow, coming from one hell of a bright past.

Faves go out to Jimmy's Espi award - Mr. Versatile that draws a musical punch, a competitive mappack or a wicked mod. And is a friendly guy too. Even Lost Souls can't attack Jimmy - Because you will never lose a soul when you have him on the team.

Another fave goes out to the Mikoportal - I saw this come to fruition back in its infancy thread and it was a sight to see. Linguortals were epic, but Mikoportals are deceptively easy but demonstrably brilliant. A rudimentary scripting language can be achieved in pure vanilla, without resorting to Dehacked. The possiblities delivered by Mikoportal's present a new tool in the Vanilla toolshed, and i can't wait to see mappers in 2020 and beyond make extensive use of it.

Oh, and Romero: if you ever make a SIGIL 2, you now know where to look for a new trick. ;)

PS: I truly wish i could have written down some of the entries - There is so much to go through, but in this sea of quality, every single author is and should be held in high regard.

Let's face it: The DOOM Community is spoiled beyond belief - Rarely will you find an amalgus of talent, innovation and wickedness solidified in one big family, this community.

Here's to you, fellow creators. Whether you mod, you write, you draw or you code - Together, the DOOM Community is a force to be reckoned with, 25 years on.

TLDR:

giphy.gif

Edited by Redneckerz : Missed a word

27 minutes ago, Major Arlene said:

Keep creating

i read it as "keep cheating", and almost pressed that "like sphere".

A great read...as someone who's only really started posting in this community the last few months I did not appreciate the extent of Jimmy's involvement in the community, but having read this I've no doubt he deserves the award.

SIGIL as a runner-up is interesting. Eviternity blows SIGIL out the water, but at the same time, without SIGIL, I'm not sure I would have ever played Eviternity in the first place.

The vast majority of map Cacowards I haven't played; reading through Remnant and Lost Civilization look particularly interesting. I also played runners-up Alienated and Doom Zero; both quality submissions well worth the mention.

Oh yeah @Jimmy is a perfect choice...all that music...founder of Square...huge catalogue of rock solid mapping including numerous CP contributions (one heck of a speedmapper too!)...JOM session header...could probably find more. And what better year than 2019 to highlight him on. He really started to speed up with productivity around 2010...and remains present as ever now...it certainly would not be without some serious competition, but one could argue he might be THE man of the 2010s!

Cheers to the winners and congrats to Jimmy for the Espi award, he deserved it so much. I'm glad that Lost Civilization won, it's a stunning wad and it was already impressive in the first released version but Jaska kept outdoing himself everytime he came back with an update.

I'm also really happy that a Doomer Boards Projects made it as a runner up, though the choice of Cyb's Freaky Colonoscopy was bit of a surprise, if anything I would have expected Alien Bastards (that was also the "champion" by popular vote) since imo it showcased at best the compelling features of the DBPs. But I understand that resisting the b-side of a cyberdemon is always hard :P

49 minutes ago, gaspe said:

I'm also really happy that a Doomer Boards Projects made it as a runner up, though the choice of Cyb's Freaky Colonoscopy was bit of a surprise, if anything I would have expected Alien Bastards (that was also the "champion" by popular vote) since imo it showcased at best the compelling features of the DBPs.

AB is a cute and overall solid mapset, but in all honesty we've been trying to understand why it was the most popular and haven't really figured it out. CFC was selected because it has the strongest mapping and was the most creative overall, not just the backstory and its integration into the texture themes and architecture, but also in terms of the individual map concepts, some of which were extremely cool. Our next choice -- the one that was going to get the runner-up until CFC appeared -- was Legend of the Hidden Tech, which was also very creative and thematically cohesive. AB was my third favorite DBP of the year, but I don't think I'd have considered it to be runner-up tier.

On 12/10/2019 at 7:33 PM, Remilia Scarlet said:

So anyone else get a sudden burst of inspiration after reading the Cacowards this year? :D

OK Doomer  ;)

Haven't been Doom active these last few years, but even from the sidelines it's been impossible to ignore the provident efforts made by ukiro and hidfan. Way to keep the now planet-sized ball rolling guys! Make a Doom baby together! Also, above & beyond well done to everyone else awarded! Hat's well off.

I think the latest DBP has the best mapping, though with an early Dec release it kind of came late. 2020 maybe though hopefully there's many more to come! AB was popular, IMO, for 90s notstalgia, chiefly.

1 hour ago, Not Jabba said:

AB is a cute and overall solid mapset, but in all honesty we've been trying to understand why it was the most popular and haven't really figured it out. CFC was selected because it has the strongest mapping and was the most creative overall, not just the backstory and its integration into the texture themes and architecture, but also in terms of the individual map concepts, some of which were extremely cool. Our next choice -- the one that was going to get the runner-up until CFC appeared -- was Legend of the Hidden Tech, which was also very creative and thematically cohesive. AB was my third favorite DBP of the year, but I don't think I'd have considered it to be runner-up tier.

Thank you for answering and for giving this brief behind-the-scenes. On a personal level I think AB is more consistent overall, plus to me concept/gimmick maps tend to be more hit or miss and less striking compared to normal maps. AB imo has the best balance of classic Dooming, dehacked work to spice things up, wacky and tongue-in-cheek mood that creates a funny atmosphere. Then FrancisT18 might be into something too, AB has also a bit the feel of a bootleg Doom clone but that din't occur to me.

I'm a sucker for 90's cheese and Sci-Fi in general so AB has been far and away my favorite of the DBPs. Even aside from charm, it was the most fun to play through, and to me that matters most. I actually guessed it right though, I was expecting Cyb's Freaky Colonoscopy to get the primary mention and wasn't disappointed!

Thanks for cacowards alumni for covering up as huge a bulk of activity, even vastly than before. Every award is well deserved, congratulations; Espi award is spot on! The one thing that seemed off is that "What are we still waiting for?" section could've been a few lines longer, looking at it every year was a great way of discovering a few obscured projects aiming for high quality, there's a few of great ongoing projects that haven't advertised themselves.

I think one of the reasons why Alien Bastards is so much loved is due to it being a TC (and one that blends Alien Carnage with doom really well). It's lovable because of its cute and cheesy Sci-Fi theme.

Whoa, nice to see some more love for AB!, though I'm maybe even happier to hear that LOTHT left an impression on some of the awards crew despite its early-year release. I'm probably not a very good person to render judgment on which was the best of the DBPs I led, but I think AB! felt the most personal and had my favorite low-key socio-political commentary underneath the goofiness.

@Not jobba that was amazing writing as well as the rest of the cacoward team. I’m glad lunar catastrophe was mentioned playing it brought back memories of playing doom as a kid. also oh my GOD for like what fifteen years I have been excited to play doom 3 Phobos! as a big fan of doom 3 thank you just for releasing the mod it means a lot. as soon as I post this I’m downloading

I personally enjoyed Legend of the Hidden Tech for it's visual gimmick as if it's a combat TV show, there are many ambient moments of environmental storytelling like in Equinox (i probably should've thought of some other comparison), however being a community project it's not very consistent with it's gimmick throughout, nevertheless @Big Ol Billy's maps were neat for that setting. And then there were aonther DBP project with lots and lots moving parts throughout the levels that i've enjoyed, iirc that was a Mindblood Genesis. Also enjoyed january christmassy project for it's theme. At this point DBP projects are like more diverse Mayhem projects, but with much speedier development time which allows exploration of various texturesets, new dehacked and visuals gimmicks without much limitations.