Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Unity Port Thread - PS/Xbox/Switch/IOS/Android

11 minutes ago, MadGuy said:

Are you joking right ? They barely raised some limits just and only to play NRFTL.

"Limit removing" is a somewhat misnomer, it certainly extends the limits, and there's certainly nothing stopping them from extending them further if needed. That qualifies it as being called limit removing. 

39 minutes ago, MadGuy said:

They barely raised some limits just and only to play NRFTL.

Yes, I know.

Pretty dope that Sigil is gonna be ported over. Plutonia and TNT I would expect to be ported given they are commercial IWADS. But what would really be great, is if Bethesda worked with this site to get a centralized map file system for downloads to console. Sigil is but the first step to put Bethesda's shitty reputation out of my mind. They have a LONG WAY to go for that. Still, gotta acknowledge a first step when you see it.

23 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Here are my variants, the Most Legit if I do say so myself:

Summary The use of green crosses was a mix of Geneva Convention compliance and listening to the community!

For quite a very long time, there were lots of games that used red crosses and no one cared about it. Why all this sudden change of stance? i don't get it.

7 minutes ago, Nekr0s1s said:

For quite a very long time, there were lots of games that used red crosses and no one cared about it. Why all this sudden change of stance? i don't get it.

It’s not sudden at all, the Red Cross has been urging people to stop doing this for almost 14 years now. It’s not censorship, no one is having their door beaten down over a red plus medikit. Fraggle explains this all really well in all 3 of the threads linked in the post you’ve quoted.

3 minutes ago, Mk7_Centipede said:

you get censored when you are art

I’m a very anti-censorship kind of guy, but what important idea or concept is being censored when a humanitarian organisation says “hey, can you guys please stop using that colour scheme?”. I don’t feel like that impedes anyone from expressing themselves, their art, or their opinions in any way, unless their art is obsessively drawing Doom stimpacks over and over again or something.

3 hours ago, warman2012 said:

Pretty dope that Sigil is gonna be ported over. Plutonia and TNT I would expect to be ported given they are commercial IWADS. But what would really be great, is if Bethesda worked with this site to get a centralized map file system for downloads to console. Sigil is but the first step to put Bethesda's shitty reputation out of my mind. They have a LONG WAY to go for that. Still, gotta acknowledge a first step when you see it.

Most people probably don't associate Sigil with most WADs since it is from Romero himself.

It's a difference between publisher and creator from some point of view where even before being part of something "official" it still came from one of the most important figures of the series.

I feel like the addition of fanmade/community WADs would work better if they manage to allow some sort of compatiblity with idgames and modify their ports' engine a bit to allow these WADs.

I think DN3D Megaton Edition had its own support for community stuff too if i recall.

8 hours ago, sponge said:

Actually part of the mod support is reviving MIDI support. At the moment, the mods are using the MIDI versions, but I may re-record those with the SoundCanvas in the future, but we'd need to support pulling OGG music out of the WAD file first.

This is actually a really cool bit of news, as along with the aspect ratio changes the music on the ports are IMO the biggest things that needed addressing. Definitely gonna be keeping an eye on this going forward!

maybe we will get the ability to change soundfonts too lol

the red cross has everyhting to do with the uac tbh.  i know they claim they only met at a party, but i think there is plenty of incidental combat that would suggest otherwise.  You ever pick up a zerk and get ambushed by a dozen imps?  its no coincidence my friend.  the uac and red cross are in bed together.

Ultimate Doom

Doom II

Master Levels

Evilution

The Plutonia Experiment

No Rest For The Living

SIGIL

and Doom 64 coming in the spring.

What timeline is this?

Also MMI&II as first downloadable PWADs. Calling it.

39 minutes ago, scalliano said:

Ultimate Doom

Doom II

Master Levels

Evilution

The Plutonia Experiment

No Rest For The Living

SIGIL

and Doom 64 coming in the spring.

What timeline is this?

The one where we lament that Perdition's Gate isn't included.

1 hour ago, Baratus II said:

Well, this is awesome! Also if there was online multiplayer for those ports, we might possibly see the DWANGO WADs as addons.

Extremely unlikely. Music rights are a no go, who even made the maps is an absolute mess.

1 hour ago, scalliano said:

My vote goes to Back to Saturn X.

36 minutes ago, Gothic said:

Yeah I thought BTSX would be at the top of their list as well, all the music and textures are 100% custom (as far as I understand) so there would be no issues with copyrighted material and all that shit.

Edit: forgot to mention its also a vanilla (mostly) set and would be easy to get working on their (what I'm assuming is) limit removing port.

BTSX, absolutely. Would love to see it as an officially-curated addon, even if it was just the first episode.

But also: Chex Quest

1 hour ago, Egg Boy said:

Yeah I thought BTSX would be at the top of their list as well, all the music and textures are 100% custom (as far as I understand) so there would be no issues with copyrighted material and all that shit.

Perfect reason for MM to get added too, imo. I always preferred MM to both episodes of Final Doom personally.

1 hour ago, Lollie said:

BTSX, absolutely. Would love to see it as an officially-curated addon, even if it was just the first episode.

But also: Chex Quest

>Chex Quest

Based.

I mean, i wouldn't be opposed to all the top class megawads (like Ancient Aliens, BTSX) to be coming to consoles in some shape. It would be a great way for console players that only know official Doom to be introduced to what the community has to offer, which is easily the same quality as the official work.

7 hours ago, Gothic said:

This. I really wish BTSX (even if its only E1) gets added to the console ports because it is a very well polished and modern(but also vanilla compatible) wad. This will porbably also make people(who are not aware of the custom wad/modding scene) to check out some community stuff (and also check out E2 and E3 of BTSX).

Anyway, now that the boring announcement hullabaloo is over, I think it's time we start asking the important questions:

Since these ports use the vanilla renderer and Sigil's inclusion is now on the horizon, does this mean we're going receive a canonical Medusa effect engine fix?

WaiRoKp.png

Holy crap, this is incredible news. I never thought that an official port would acknowledge and embrace community maps being the lifeblood of the game these days.

The only pipedream I have left now is an advanced difficulty options menu, to enable fastmonsters or forcing pistol start on every map or other options such as scaling player/enemy damage/enabling multiplayer monster spawns. These PC command line features are still absent on console versions. Dusk is a recent game that has this. Even if it's just -fast and pistol start it will add a lot of replayability and challenge.

And online multiplayer with options for item spawning (e.g. using SP only spawns on coop, or spawning with chaingun in DM, etc), but that's obviously a lot harder to add.

edit: Gyro aim on Switch too!

Edited by Tarvis

9 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

The one where we lament that Perdition's Gate isn't included.

Yeah seriously if they can get on the phone with... I think it's Activision? and get the rights to freely distribute Perdition's Gate and Hell to Pay, it'd be amazing.

I really hope part of the improvements being made is d-pad weapon shortcuts. The main thing that I felt was wrong with the current ports is how slow cycling through weapons is. It legitimately makes harder maps like E4M2 much harder to complete than they should be.

42 minutes ago, Gez said:

Yeah seriously if they can get on the phone with... I think it's Activision? and get the rights to freely distribute Perdition's Gate and Hell to Pay, it'd be amazing.

But in this case, they should remove the shitty sprite and sound replacements from HTP.

55 minutes ago, cybdmn said:

But in this case, they should remove the shitty sprite and sound replacements from HTP.

You monster, you did it, you produced the wrongest opinion in the entire thread.

4 hours ago, Gez said:

You monster, you did it, you produced the wrongest opinion in the entire thread.

You call me a monster? What's about the people who created these abominations of sprites? I never finished HTP, because i can't stand them. :-D