Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reaper978

What's something about Doom that you absolutely hate?

1 minute ago, ketmar said:

chocolate is 1:1 corresponds to vanilla, including bugs. this is vanilla bug, yeah.

Oh thanks for letting me know. I've wanted to complete the classic DOOM games on DOS but instead i chose to play on chocolate instead. I was worried in case this was slightly different than DOS. Thanks!

Lost souls don't count toward kills, so you can still get 100% kills if you leave them in the void.

On 12/5/2019 at 5:19 PM, deepthaw said:

The pistol. There is no reason to have a weapon in the game that is objectively awful at everything, and whose only use is to let you spend 30 seconds at the start of the game throwing pellets at hit-scanners until you get a shotgun and never use the pistol again.

In OG Doom style maps that mainly throw zombies and imps at you, I quite enjoy having to decide between the pistol and shotgun when ammo is sparse in the first quarter or so of a level. I still agree that it would be more fun if there was an incentive to use it later on.

16 hours ago, Vermil said:

Lost souls don't count toward kills, so you can still get 100% kills if you leave them in the void.

Play an older version of Doom then ;) .

Boom is awesome but there's one thing I don't like about this complevel.

If the player runs out of shells when firing the super shotgun, the reload animation still plays even though the player has zero shells. Was this intentional or an oversight? This doesn't happen in vanilla.

I really hate that delay when you stop firing the plasma gun. The amount of times I've had some crappy little imp scratch my spotless blue armour because of that shit, drives me mental.

Probably only the RNG for damage. It is way too wild. You can get hit for almost nothing to over half of your health. These random spikes annoy me from time to time.

If I could choose, I would do it in a way that every enemy and weapon would deal average damage and add some deviation to that.

For example Revenant (6-60) would deal on average 33 damage with +-25% deviation, the final damage range then being 25-41. I feel like eliminating these huge spikes would make for a much smoother gameplay.

Rockets and BFG are the worst offender. 20-160 in multiples of 20? 100-800 in multiples of 100??? Incredible.... I always facepalm when a pinky survives a direct rocket hit.

I also dislike how in modern ports, the RNG table values get saved too when you save a game. So for example after you die to a 60 damage Revenant rocket, the next rocket will always hit you for 60 no matter what because the table state gets saved too. IIRC, I was told that it is due to demo compatibility, but I honestly couldn't care less about demos, especially if it affects the gameplay in such a major way compared to the original.

At least if it would be an option in GZDoom for example in compatibility options. Like "Use original PRNG behavior" or something like that. Or an option to use only one table like in the original but with fixed values (I know that the original one is missing some values).

So many says that infinite tall actors are one of the things that it's hated and...yes, fuck that infinite height bullshit. Had enough moments in several ports to have enough rage and quit later...just nope.

One thing that annoys me is that the player's view height is lower than it should be.

Player has a view height of 41, right? But the player height is 56....so, Doomguy have eyes in the chest or something?

I'm not all that keen on Doom's RNG table damage variance stuff for monsters.

It's essential to me that punishment be levied by the game as "fairly" as possible. If I get hit by a Revenant's missile because of a movement hiccup on my part -- by all means, spank me! But don't rip my fucking head off just because I also happened to get an unlucky roll of the dice. Conversely, don't let me get off basically scott free with a wink and a nudge if I get hit, either.

This monster damage variance has only ever made me feel as though I might not get what I deserve when I inevitably screw up and get hit.

On 12/12/2019 at 6:30 AM, leodoom85 said:

Player has a view height of 41, right? But the player height is 56....so, Doomguy have eyes in the chest or something?

He has a very long forehead, and his rest of the body is just about 2.73x height of his forehead.

2 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

He has a very long forehead, and his rest of the body is just about 2.73x height of his forehead.

ALIENS......it WAS aliens after all...

I hate nothing about the game itself, the only thing I used to hate was my old 486SX/25MHz trying in vain to maintain a playable frame-rate.

Surprise revenant rockets. When running away from a rocket and hiding behind a wall a mile away, it still somehow catches up.

3 hours ago, GRAU said:

how much fps had you using the 486SX 25MHz?

Small maps did't had problems, but In maps like Inmost dens and industrial zone the fps probably dropped below 10, I had to size the screen to minimum, or use the low detail setting to play.

On 12/12/2019 at 8:05 AM, idbeholdME said:

I also dislike how in modern ports, the RNG table values get saved too when you save a game. So for example after you die to a 60 damage Revenant rocket, the next rocket will always hit you for 60 no matter what because the table state gets saved too.

Someone here who's experienced, please, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe all things in the game share the same RNG table, so you could perform any action that requires RNG and it would fix that. Each enemy type doesn't have their own RNG table, as far as I know.

On 12/12/2019 at 9:30 AM, leodoom85 said:

One thing that annoys me is that the player's view height is lower than it should be.

One of my first impressions whenever I boot up Thief is how bizarre the player's height/perspective feels, then I think about it and realize it's actually way more realistic than the first-person games I usually play.  Wolf3D/Doom/Quake and a lot of imitators have a perspective of someone weirdly short with a view near the midpoint (or even lower) of the doors they're passing through, rather than the head being nearer the top of the door than the bottom.  I'm not sure if view heights tended to be selected more by mathematical principles than realistic ones or what, but if so how does 41 relate to any other common size in Doom?

i believe that DG view height was selected simply due to "it looks better this way". if we'll take shotgun guy as a model from DoomGuy, the view height to look eye-to-eye will be 49.5. dunno, the game doesn't look much worser this way. the main drawback is in passages of around 51 units high: the camera will be almost at the ceiling, which looks weird. maybe this was the reason to lower the camera after all.

Most of it is fixed by ports, but if we're talking pure vanilla Doom, I hate the forward/backward movement caused by the mouse that you can't disable (not counting novert, etc.).

I fuckin hate mapping for Doom. Trying to make a meaningful map sends me into instant frustrated depression everytime. I'd rather sit in a cozy, monster-devoid GZDoom house map than have to deal with placing monsters in a way that doesn't suck.

1 hour ago, ketmar said:

i believe that DG view height was selected simply due to "it looks better this way". if we'll take shotgun guy as a model from DoomGuy, the view height to look eye-to-eye will be 49.5. dunno, the game doesn't look much worser this way. the main drawback is in passages of around 51 units high: the camera will be almost at the ceiling, which looks weird. maybe this was the reason to lower the camera after all.

50 would be ideal. 

On 12/12/2019 at 2:30 PM, leodoom85 said:

Really? That would explain why I sometimes get shot when I'm "behind" cover  >_>

4 hours ago, xdarkmasterx said:

Really? That would explain why I sometimes get shot when I'm "behind" cover  >_>

I've noticed this as well. Sometimes a Chaingunner is able to clip the top of your head when you think there is high enough cover.

3 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

I've noticed this as well. Sometimes a Chaingunner is able to clip the top of your head when you think there is high enough cover.

Works the other way to though.

1 hour ago, Vermil said:

Works the other way to though.

except for revenants: you can see its head, but entity height is smaller than the sprite. HAET.

I hate the way the pain elemental times it's skulls to match the firing rate of my shotgun so every time I shoot at it I hit a skull instead...

16 minutes ago, guitardz said:

I hate the way the pain elemental times it's skulls to match the firing rate of my shotgun so every time I shoot at it I hit a skull instead...

YES! I was wondering if it was only me

Hate may be a strong word though there are still a few things that cause my frustration level to spike.

- Being bitten by the same lost soul 3-4 times in a 2 second span because the RNG chose to be spiteful.

- Out of reach revenant in an open area with no cover.  Similar: going around 4-5 corners trying to shake one of their homing missiles and it manages to weave perfectly through twists and turns into my back anyways.

On 12/8/2019 at 8:44 PM, Swalzi said:

Boom is awesome but there's one thing I don't like about this complevel.

If the player runs out of shells when firing the super shotgun, the reload animation still plays even though the player has zero shells. Was this intentional or an oversight? This doesn't happen in vanilla.

It's a bug.