Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bridgeburner56

The Age of Hell: FPS game for GZDoom - DEMO OUT

I’m just in awe of these screenshots and that you’ve managed to create something like this using Doom! Looking forward to the final product

Absolutely staggering works of Doom art. I might join Discord simply for the pleasure of playtesting this monster.

Funny, the cracks on the floor remind me of Combine Forcefields:

Spoiler

gallery_9635_18_64002.jpg

8 hours ago, Steve D said:

Absolutely staggering works of Doom art. I might join Discord simply for the pleasure of playtesting this monster.

Do it ;p
Gonna need testers next year

Between this and Refracted Reality, 2020 looks to be an amazing year...not to mention Doom Eternal, of course.

Hexstone Citadel is actually finished. Build time was a little bit under 3 weeks (although I have been on holiday). This was me attempting to make a small map in a short space of time and ... uh ... it is smaller than my usual stuff but yeah, she's still pretty thicc.

MAP15-at-2020-01-11-20-09-56-723-R3333.j

Out of curiousity... if you're doing visuals/architecture first, then monster placement, wouldn't a lot of areas have to be reworked to accommodate different encounter setups? Surely, you are not just limiting combat to incidental fighting/enemies teleporting into areas?

Even if I'm doing all layout first, then monsters I plan areas with combat mechanics in mind. This map has a fair amount of warp ins but there's areas that open up revealing enemies (there's one area with a couple hundred revs). Even with teleport in mechanics you can mix it up a lot. One arena has cacos look like they are flying in from above a window which is done with teleporters but it doesn't look like it. You can also have areas that appear empty from a distance but when you get into them and press a button use spawnspots to generate a battalion that reveals itself when walls lower/doors open.
One thing I haven't done in this map is use portals to create non euclidian geometry which allows for space for monsters to be created where none would be available in a less advanced port. That was a deliberate decision for this map but that will happen in other maps (I first started doing this in The Slaughter Spectrum. A good example is the last fight in Palace of the Black Singularity).

The attacks and the 'he has a brother' bit make me think pretty strongly of Doom2016's Hell Guard, only with a visual design friendlier to the original games.

I dunno about the others, but I feel the constant need to suppress a boner whenever new teaser material is posted about this project. This must be one of the best looking Doom mods ever.

Pretty cool indeed, but I think it's a bit too grainy. I had a similar impression when the Cacovore was shown.

On 3/7/2020 at 5:57 AM, Bridgeburner56 said:

even better
gzdoom_2020-03-07_23-20-10-38.gif

Woah! That's awesome!