Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Boomslang

did the sound effects of the game originate from the game it'self or were they stock sounds?

so yesterday i was watching the Santa clause, and i heard something i never expected, the santa deers made the noises the imp makes.

and i was wondering, why was there so many movies using doom sound effects, the only explanation i could think of was that they were stock sound effects or they just used the SFX because it was fitting.

Sound Ideas Series 6000, specifically. One of the largest commercial compilations of royalty-free sounds. You can hear some of the Doom sounds in a lot of other games.

That said, some of the sounds were recorded specifically for Doom. The obvious example being Romero's backward speech for the Icon of Sin level. And some sounds were heavily edited, mixed with other sounds, and distorted, making them kinda original again; for example the arch-vile's death scream, allegedly, started as a recording of a child saying "why?". The super-shotgun firing sound is the regular shotgun firing sound mixed in with a barrel explosion sound. And so on.

@perkristian made a lot of investigations into the Doom sound origins as part of his effort to recreate them accurately at a higher sample rate, going as far as buying the Series 6000 from Sound Ideas and checking all of the countless sounds they have on CDs.

Just now, Boaby Kenobi said:

There's a video on YT about this. 

Doom at 4:36 - 44:51 - 58:17

juuuuust watched this.

The majority are stock sounds as far as I recall, because of this, some of them, such as the door sounds, can also be heard in movies.

I think PSX Doom, and by extension Doom 64, feature custom made sounds as opposed to stock sounds, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Some of the gun sounds (and the thunder sound) and such for Doom 64 have been found in stock archives. But it seems the monster sounds are custom, that is I am not aware of them being found in an archive. Also when I listen carefully some of the zombies sound like Aubrey Hodges voice, like when he released those unused Arch Vile sounds that he had made.

I wouldn't say all the monster sounds are custom in PSX/D64, since there's at least one monster sound in there that's also in PC Doom. And, annoyingly, in a different role. It's DSPOSIT2 if I'm not mistaken, which is one of the random roaming sounds in the consoles but a zombie waking up sound in PC Doom. So when playing a PSX Doom-themed mod and there's a monster roaming around somewhere, I always feel like zombies are getting alerted everywhere.

4 hours ago, Boaby Kenobi said:

There's a video on YT about this. 

Doom at 4:36 - 44:51 - 58:17

30:52 is the sounds of the icon of sin 

13 hours ago, Gez said:

I wouldn't say all the monster sounds are custom in PSX/D64, since there's at least one monster sound in there that's also in PC Doom. And, annoyingly, in a different role. It's DSPOSIT2 if I'm not mistaken, which is one of the random roaming sounds in the consoles but a zombie waking up sound in PC Doom. So when playing a PSX Doom-themed mod and there's a monster roaming around somewhere, I always feel like zombies are getting alerted everywhere.

There's that growl the enemies make sometimes which is present in those games as well.

Just watched that vid and It really is amazing the amount of re-used stuff that you just don't hear until its pointed out to you like that.

On a complete tangent I've just finished FAR: Lone Sails, an indie game from 2018 that's almost the complete opposite of Doom - it's nice! - and right at the end it has a clanking metal-on-metal sound effect that I remember from Carmageddon, the TV miniseries Band of Brothers, and loads of films and computer games.

This post would be really good if I could find some examples from Youtube, wouldn't it? It's a kind of clank-chunk noise. It has nothing to do with Doom. It's not in that compilation. Carry on.

I remember when a friend and I discovered a Doom sound reused in another place (TV show or movie) and fired off an email to somebody at id.. Their response was something along the lines of "Yeah, we bought a CD of sounds."

We didn't know that was a thing. We were young.

On 12/11/2019 at 2:19 PM, deepthaw said:

I remember when a friend and I discovered a Doom sound reused in another place (TV show or movie) and fired off an email to somebody at id.. Their response was something along the lines of "Yeah, we bought a CD of sounds."

We didn't know that was a thing. We were young.

Ha, nice