Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheNoob_Gamer

How to disable infinite height in PrBoom+?

Since I think my post will probably get flopped if I post in the main thread, I decided to make a seperate one instead.

So, title. I really want to try Nuts 2/3 on PRBoom+, but can't find any related compatiblity options. Am I missing something?

PrBoom doesn't have an option to disable this, because this feature never was part of original Doom or even Boom.

I don't think infinite height can be turned off in PrBoom.

Besides, nuts.wad is Boom, I think? I see that was recommended in its readme here, so either way, it's complevel 9 or 2 (if it's actually vanilla/limit-removing), and that's supposed to have infinite height.

1 minute ago, seed said:

nuts.wad is Boom, I think? I see that was recommended in its readme here, so either way, it's complevel 9 or 2 (if it's actually vanilla/limit-removing), and that's supposed to have infinite height

Yeah, that's why I was referring to 2 and 3.

4 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Yeah, that's why I was referring to 2 and 3.

Ah fuck, I missed the 2/3 part *hangs himself*

Well, nuts3.wad seems to recommend ZDoom in its readme, dunno if things changed since. And nuts2.wad recommends not using Boom. There's demos for the original nuts.wad out there so that works in other ports, but those 2 might not.

I don't know if it's playable in ZDoom though, game might turn into a slideshow after alerting the enemies :p .

Perhaps try Odamex. It's built on an old ZDoom from before the actor code was complexified to allow custom monsters, so it should handle thousands of active monsters better than modern *ZDoom ports, and it supports limited vertical height.

1 hour ago, seed said:

I don't know if it's playable in ZDoom though, game might turn into a slideshow after alerting the enemies :p .

A Russian dude attempted to 100% kills on Nuts 3 with rarely any lags, so playable AFAIK.

2 minutes ago, printz said:

If you want PrBoom+ with finite thing height, look no further than Eternity Engine.

I was about to say just that :p .

But can Eternity handle the nuts series with its SW render well enough?

14 minutes ago, seed said:

But can Eternity handle the nuts series with its SW render well enough?

I guess you want to crowdsurf in DOOM but the framerate won't let you :P

4 minutes ago, printz said:

I guess you want to crowdsurf in DOOM but the framerate won't let you :P

I actually just took my own advice and went for a ride in nuts.wad.

Seems Eternity handles the map mighty fine, there's a bit of a slowdown in the second room when all AVs turn on you with their fire, but it's definitely more than just playable. That's groovy :) .

26 minutes ago, printz said:

If you want PrBoom+ with finite thing height, look no further than Eternity Engine.

Spoiler

I am indeed aware of that port :D
Setting it up is kind of a pain in the ass though. When I first try it on Doom 2's MAP01, I got huge framerate drops to like 25 for no reason on my old as fuck PC.

19 hours ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:
  Hide contents

I am indeed aware of that port :D
Setting it up is kind of a pain in the ass though. When I first try it on Doom 2's MAP01, I got huge framerate drops to like 25 for no reason on my old as fuck PC.

Yeah, the menus are a bit unintuitive, although they got re-arranged a while ago - they used to be worse.

Perhaps that potato is too old and weak. Might want to try 320x200 or 640x400 in this case, and if even that is too much...