Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

@Doomkid I'm quite surprised to hear that, indeed I would consider that a bug as well (maybe an overreaching response to making sure kills aren't credited between connections?). I'd be very surprised if this is indeed the case for Odamex, especially.

5 hours ago, fendor said:

Just found out thanks to a video that the pistol is 100% accurate if you stop firing every time and let it end the animation. So overpowered now :D

Chaingun is also 100% accurate if you only tap-fire.

8 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

Chaingun is also 100% accurate if you only tap-fire.

Now I gotta try that. Thx !

On 9/24/2011 at 4:26 AM, I'myourtarget said:

That punching Spider Masterminds with 1% health is very difficult. Just saying.

Oh ho ho

What do you mean by "muffled"?

SSG sounds first appeared in Doom II, since Ultimate Doom doesn't have this weapon at all. In Doom II, they are at 22 khz, in Final Doom they're downsampled to 11 khz, as a consequence of the IWADs having been created with DEUTEX, because DEUTEX assumed that all Doom sounds have to be 11 khz. Some console ports (Xbox for example) also assume that all Doom sounds are 11 khz and therefore play the SSG reload sound at half-speed.

This is about Doomworld itself, just discovered last night that while your content count is at 420, your member status / title thing says "Dank Member", haha. I did a hard double take on that one, rubbed my eyes a little, squinted extra good just to make sure.

It made me think of another time a little while back now, for a brief moment my member status said "Boney Member". I was so confused, could never figure it out, and it was gone as quick as it came. I'm guessing now it had something to do with content count, but I'm at a loss for what it meant. 

^ My recollection is that the 'Boney Member' status came up when 206 posts were reached, that being the number of bones in the human body.

I recently noticed you can dynamically alter how many frames a sprite/thing has in a DEHACKED file. Not sure what the limits are doing this but it's quite handy to know I can add extra attacks to a boss enemy.

On mardi 3 décembre 2019 at 9:35 PM, RonnieJamesDiner said:

This is about Doomworld itself, just discovered last night that while your content count is at 420, your member status / title thing says "Dank Member", haha. I did a hard double take on that one, rubbed my eyes a little, squinted extra good just to make sure.

It made me think of another time a little while back now, for a brief moment my member status said "Boney Member". I was so confused, could never figure it out, and it was gone as quick as it came. I'm guessing now it had something to do with content count, but I'm at a loss for what it meant. 

There's a whole thread about those things:

Opening the menu in vanilla causes desyncs. Seems I got too used to PrBoom behavior where it doesn't break the recording (and pausing doesn't get recorded either), so when I made a demo of the entire KDITD episode I nullified it by opening the menu right at the beginning of E1M1...

Edited by seed

Spectres are blessed by the Unicorn, because they are simultaneously invisible (nearly) and pink.

Guest Unregistered account
On 11/30/2019 at 11:28 AM, Gez said:

In Doom II, they are at 22 khz, in Final Doom they're downsampled to 11 khz, as a consequence of the IWADs having been created with DEUTEX, because DEUTEX assumed that all Doom sounds have to be 11 khz. Some console ports (Xbox for example) also assume that all Doom sounds are 11 khz and therefore play the SSG reload sound at half-speed.

This is something I just found out.

I found out that MAP14 of Doom II has more sidedefs but less linedefs than MAP15. How about that. Now I'm curious about the sidedef to linedef ratio of every IWAD map.

On 12/4/2019 at 6:40 AM, Summer Deep said:

^ My recollection is that the 'Boney Member' status came up when 206 posts were reached, that being the number of bones in the human body.

What happens when you reach 666 posts? Because I'm close to it right now 

1 hour ago, Maximum Matt said:

What happens when you reach 666 posts? Because I'm close to it right now 

you will get the rank: Evil Member

On 12/9/2019 at 6:32 AM, zaszthedestroyer said:

Satan shows up in your house and shows you how to play doom

Doesn't Satan have a bit of a conflict of interest here? I'm not sure I'd take his advice.

4 hours ago, damerell said:

Doesn't Satan have a bit of a conflict of interest here? I'm not sure I'd take his advice.

All a trick to get you to take that teleporter in E1M8.

I just recently realised that having both keys shows a small skull just in front of the key card. I always thought it was some smiling blob face as a joke ID added if you tried cheating using IDKFA.

3 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

I just recently realised that having both keys shows a small skull just in front of the key card. I always thought it was some smiling blob face as a joke ID added if you tried cheating using IDKFA.

Only in some source ports.

I just found out that I suck at DOOM.

Spoiler

I also just found out about that key and skull "face" as well. I never knew it was overlaying the two, great stuff.

The gore decorations behind the player start on map30 are actually neatly matched in pairs:

1. A "hanging victim, guts and brain removed" with a "pool of brains" underneath

2. A "hanging victim, guts removed" with a "pool of blood and guts" underneath

(These descriptions are from doombuilder for simplicity's sake, but they match details given in the source code, such as "S_HANGBNOBRAIN" and "S_HANGNOGUTS")

These four decorations might even have been specifically made in pairs and/or specifically for this map, because they don't exist in doom 1.

Maybe this is something everyone else noticed the first time they played map30, but I never noticed it.

Using VSync (Fast) from the driver's panel and increasing the number of pre-rendered frames actually makes VSync work great in the ports that suffer from input lag it seems. GlBoom is still stupid smooth with VSync now.

Granted, the fast kind doesn't remove all the tearing, but hey, VSync and no input lag, that's good enough for me. I wonder if simply increasing the number of pre-rendered frames does anything tbh, and if these 2 things combined actually make the piece of junk that Duke World Tour is actually playable now.